The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (4K + Blu-ray Limited Edition) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: April 10, 2023
Purchase links: Second Sight - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £44.99
Notes: Orders done direct from Second Sight store includes 3 exclusive collector's art cards while stocks last
328269142_895815088239190_5536708407647246044_n.jpg

ArtcardExclusives_900x.jpg

Last edited:
I don't actually have any fancy editions of TCM (not even a steelbook :OMG:), so I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!

Reactions: Flloydo
I own the Turbine 4K limited edition steelbook and will be getting this one, too, but not sure this movie really needs 4K. The film was shot on super 16MM film, which is roughly 1080p resolution. Not sure if 4K will look any better than standard Blu-ray. Haven't had a chance to compare yet. The 4K masters are all upscaled. I suppose film holds up better to upscalling than digital, but it brings out more of the film grain.

I own the Turbine 4K limited edition steelbook and will be getting this one, too, but not sure this movie really needs 4K. The film was shot on super 16MM film, which is roughly 1080p resolution. Not sure if 4K will look any better than standard Blu-ray. Haven't had a chance to compare yet. The 4K masters are all upscaled. I suppose film holds up better to upscalling than digital, but it brings out more of the film grain.

16mm isn't anywhere near digital 1080p. Kevin Smith directed both Clerks and Chasing Amy on 16mm, and while upgraded to HD for home formats both are still very grainy in terms of quality. Another famous case was Buffy The Vampire season 1, again shot in 16mm and the conversion to try and improve it was a real mess. 1080p is roughly similar to real 35mm film but even then 35mm is still slightly better clarity wise. Chainsaw will never look pristine because of how it was filmed, and to be honest I don't want it to. It looks great the way it is.

16mm isn't anywhere near digital 1080p. Kevin Smith directed both Clerks and Chasing Amy on 16mm, and while upgraded to HD for home formats both are still very grainy in terms of quality. Another famous case was Buffy The Vampire season 1, again shot in 16mm and the conversion to try and improve it was a real mess. 1080p is roughly similar to real 35mm film but even then 35mm is still slightly better clarity wise. Chainsaw will never look pristine because of how it was filmed, and to be honest I don't want it to. It looks great the way it is.
I do agree that the film grain works in the movie, but haven't watched it in 4K yet.

Resolution wise they are about the same. 16MM is 2K, which is roughly the same as 1080p. 35mm film is 4K resolution. The grain and noise in film is determined by the film stock used, lightning, etc. I went to film school, so that's how I know. I have a BFA in film.

Last edited:
interesting that they prefer do their own master instead of licensing it from
turbine

i havent put much thought in it tbh, but iirc their masters (i.e. second sights) are most often the better one? heard horrible things about the german 4k dog soldiers, whereas the second sight one was pretty neat

I don't actually have any fancy editions of TCM (not even a steelbook :OMG:), so I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!
I can’t believe I wasn’t tagged!

I’m the same as you and been after a decent release. Same for a few things as you know, already put in a word to manta about the Exorcist and the 50th anniversary next year. God I hope they do it

Defo in for this

I can’t believe I wasn’t tagged!

I’m the same as you and been after a decent release. Same for a few things as you know, already put in a word to manta about the Exorcist and the 50th anniversary next year. God I hope they do it

Defo in for this
Now that I'd buy! Haven't bought any Exorcist steel yet

Now that I'd buy! Haven't bought any Exorcist steel yet
Same. I said it would sell like hot cakes. A proper premium of the exorcist! They said they would pass on the recommendation/ feedback and speak to their distributor. 50th anniversary next year and they work closely with WB. Sounds like a no brainier imo. And they’ve dabbled in horror before

Same. I said it would sell like hot cakes. A proper premium of the exorcist! They said they would pass on the recommendation/ feedback and speak to their distributor. 50th anniversary next year and they work closely with WB. Sounds like a no brainier imo. And they’ve dabbled in horror before

Fingers crossed dude! I agree it would definitely sell out fast!

As far as I can tell, Dark Sky's release just has a normal slipcover. Whereas Second Sight will no doubt have a full slip box.

That lone for me has be choosing Second Sight.