The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Apr 19, 2016
Release date: June 8, 2018
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $17.99
Group buy: from apsmith21

34017141_sa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EvilThing
The original is dated but I still prefer it too the remakes. It’s all about the atmosphere, there aren’t any real gore scenes but it’s the fact that the people are sick that really gives it the reputation. It’s not shocking compared to today’s horrors but it does have a lot of tense scenes.

lol, while I like the remakes, the original is still it's own movie. It really set the "slasher" genre to be what it became and paved the way for Freddy, Jason and Myers, yet still different enough that it stands alone because of how bizarre and uncomfortable it is. One of the best horrors of all time. It probably wont appeal much to the younger generation because they like a lot of special FX and tons of things happening on screen, but it's still recommended to any horror fan, especially those of the TCM franchise.
amen to these statements, and @Hereticz, brothers! :thumbs: the overarching feeling of dread and unease; i get more out of that than 100 things to do with prosthetics (although i have seen more than my fair share of gore over the years) - i usually end up owning the 'unsettling' horror films, rather than the gore ones.

2 scenes in particular really stand out for me (major spoilers follow):
  1. the scene where Sally escapes to the gas station, and you think Leatherface is right behind her, and the gas station owner says he'll get help, and leaves the door wide open for what seems like an age - then comes back in with a rope...
  2. the never ending dinner scene, when half way through grandpa reveals he is not dead after all. man that got me the first time.
and i love Dennis Hopper, but let's not talk about the original sequel! ;)

Damn, why do we never get the 2003 version as a steelbook :(

Luckily the 2003 remake has some pretty decent designs out there any two of which would do well on a steelbook front and back.
These courtesy Birnenblatt:-
upload_2018-4-14_18-25-25.png
upload_2018-4-14_18-26-18.png
upload_2018-4-14_18-27-1.png

OK, futurepak not steelbook ... DVD not Blu-ray ... but anyway:-
IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW
Luckily the 2003 remake has some pretty decent designs out there any two of which would do well on a steelbook front and back.
These courtesy Birnenblatt:-
View attachment 369366 View attachment 369367 View attachment 369368

OK, futurepak not steelbook ... DVD not Blu-ray ... but anyway:-
IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG
all true, but you couldn't even give away a horror film to me which is prefixed "Michael Bay's..." - Platinum Dunes have a lot to answer for with their endless stream of crap remakes. :rolleyes: :mad: :LOL:

all true, but you couldn't even give away a horror film to me which is prefixed "Michael Bay's..." - Platinum Dunes have a lot to answer for with their endless stream of crap remakes. :rolleyes: :mad: :LOL:

Maybe not completely fair to Platinum Dunes with decent box office results for most of their handful of horror film remakes and wouldn't be fair to remakes in general as many are as good as if not better than the originals - better effects, better acting, better clothes, sexier girls etc.
I'm betting you would rate most of these remakes as highly as the originals:-
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978), THE RING (2002), DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004), THE HILLS HAVE EYES (2006), FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009), THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (2009), THE CRAZIES (2010), PIRANHA 3D (2010) ... and last but certainly not least, THE THING (1982)

Not a fan of Michael Bay / Platinum Dunes?
You can breathe a sigh of relief as they won't be remaking any more older horror films...
Quote,
"In an interview on the 7th April, 2018 with CinePOP Platinum Dunes co-founder Brad Fuller, who produced A Quiet Place, stated that “We’ve rebooted enough. We’ve done all of our [rebooted] horror movies. We’re not going to be doing that anymore.”
No denying. however, that the ones they have remade have not been unsuccessful:-
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2003) - Budget $9.5M / Box office $107M
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (2005) - Budget $19M / Box office $108M
FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) - Budget $19M / Box office $92.7M
NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010) - Budget $35M / Box office $115.6M

As we all know, big successes for Platinum Dunes with original horror including, THE PURGE ($3M / $89.3M), OUIJA ($5M / $103.6M) and A QUIET PLACE ($17M / $125M projected) as a few examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Maybe not completely fair to Platinum Dunes with decent box office results for most of their handful of horror film remakes and wouldn't be fair to remakes in general as many are as good as if not better than the originals - better effects, better acting, better clothes, sexier girls etc.
I'm betting you would rate most of these remakes as highly as the originals:-
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978), THE RING (2002), DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004), THE HILLS HAVE EYES (2006), FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009), THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (2009), THE CRAZIES (2010), PIRANHA 3D (2010) ... and last but certainly not least, THE THING (1982)

Not a fan of Michael Bay / Platinum Dunes?
You can breathe a sigh of relief as they won't be remaking any more older horror films...
Quote,
"In an interview on the 7th April, 2018 with CinePOP Platinum Dunes co-founder Brad Fuller, who produced A Quiet Place, stated that “We’ve rebooted enough. We’ve done all of our [rebooted] horror movies. We’re not going to be doing that anymore.”
No denying. however, that the ones they have remade have not been unsuccessful:-
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2003) - Budget $9.5M / Box office $107M
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (2005) - Budget $19M / Box office $108M
FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009) - Budget $19M / Box office $92.7M
NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010) - Budget $35M / Box office $115.6M

As we all know, big successes for Platinum Dunes with original horror including, THE PUGE ($3M / $89.3M), OUIJA ($5M / $103.6M) and A QUIET PLACE ($17M / $125M projected) as a few examples.
:offtopic: bit of a mixed bag, that list, but i don't rate the majority of remakes higher. i own a lovely lenti dvd pack of the original Ringu trilogy :), but won't touch the remakes with a barge pole, and i thought The Hills Have Eyes and particularly the Dawn of the Dead remakes were one-watch films only. :meh:

never cared about box office :greedy:, better fx or other watch-bait, never have. i don't mind a remake, but it has to add something new and interesting and engaging to the characters and the story, which is a skill many directors don't have. anyone can do more up to date fx or prosthetics. Body Snatchers '78 is great, as is Carpenter's The Thing :notworthy:, but they're not Platinum Dunes, and had good directors. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: gigan72 and virkia
Great art, although the mediabook is still my favourite.

1974-texas-chainsaw-massacre-mediabook-limited-edition-box-bild-news-jpg.179883

Oh yeah, forgot about that! :p

This is one of the rare situations where the remake is better than the original.

It doesn't really date well and despite all the controversy on its release, I find it boring. Nothing really happens in it. Just a lot of chasing, screaming and crying!

I can't even recall any real gore scenes in it.
The lack of gore is totally irrelevant. It's one of its strengths if anything.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Last edited by a moderator:
Great art, although the mediabook is still my favourite.

1974-texas-chainsaw-massacre-mediabook-limited-edition-box-bild-news-jpg.179883

The lack of gore is totally irrelevant. It's one of its strengths if anything.

I too have a German edition (turbine steel, the one with armadillo) and, like here, the spelling bothers me a bit: “CHAINSAW” instead of “CHAIN SAW.” Wonder if people even notice that.

Why is there no pre-order option available on best buy's site?

Often when it gets close to a release date, they'll shut off pre-orders until day of if stock is getting low.

It always comes back for at least in store pickup the day of release.