Mediabook The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray Mediabooks) [Germany]

Apr 21, 2012
GER
Release date: December 5, 2019
Purchase links: Version A Amazon DE - Rakete-shop Version B: Amazon DE - Rakete-shop - Version C Rakete-shop
Price: €36.45 (Versions A or B) - €34.99 (Version C)
Note: Version A (Drew Struzan Art limited to 2000 pieces) - Version B (Les Edwards Art limited to 2000 pieces) - Version C (Matt Ferguson Art limited to 1000 pieces, exclusive to Rakete Shop)

Version A:

81Vqczfi8GL._SL1200_.jpg

Version B:

91abH6ZA2gL._SL1200_.jpg

Version C:

331c64454c1a.jpg

The Discs in Detail

Blu-ray Disc 1 - John Carpenter's THE THING

Bild: 2,35:1 (1080p/24)
HD-Master from a 4k-Transfer in perfect quality ("Arrow-Master") – approved by Director John Carpenter and Director of Photography Dean Cundey.

Audio:
• Restored German DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 track: two missing pieces of dubbing were reconstructed. 2.0 Audio for the first time on BluRay!
• Reconstructed German DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track: newly „constructed“ from original elements.
• English DTS-HD Master Audio in 5.1, 2.0 & 4.1 (Original Mix)
All audio tracks worldwide had slight sync issues before. These were corrected.
5 Theatrical trailers, TV & Radio Spots
Four Audio Commentaries: John Carpenter & Kurt Russell, Dean Cundey (DoP), Stuart Cohen (Production) and Todd Cameron (Outpost31.com)

Blu-ray Disc 2 – Bonus Materials

Documentaries
-"Terror Takes Shape" (SD, ca. 86 Min.)
-"The Men From Outpost 31" (ca. 51 Min.)
-"The Visual Effects of THE THING" (ca. 25. Min.)

Interviews
-"Requiem For A Shape Shifter" with John Carpenter (ca. 29 Min.)
-"Assembling And Assimilation" with Editor Todd Ramsay (ca. 11 Min.)
-"Between The Lines" mit Romanautor Alan Dean Foster (ca. 16 Min.)
-"Sounds From The Cold" mit Sound-Gestalter David Lewis Yewdall & Alan Howarth (ca. 15 Min.)

Archival Features:
-"Fear on Film" (1982) – Talk with John Carpenter, John Landis & David Cronenberg (ca. 26 Min.)
-Storyboard/Movie Comparison (ca. 8 Min.)
-Deleted Scenes (ca. 6 Min.)
-Trailers From Hell (2x ca. 3 Min.)
-Vintage EPK (ca. 13 Min.)
-US-TV-Version* (ca. 94 Min., 4:3)
-The Making of The Thing (ca. 9 Min.)
-The Making of a Chilling Tale (ca. 5 Min.)
-Behind the Scenes (ca. 2 Min.)
-The Saucer (ca. 2 Min.)
-Vintage Product Reel (ca. 20 Min.)
-Extensive Text and Image Archive (in English).

Blu-ray Disc 3 THE THING - The Prequel from 2011

Picture: 2,35:1 (1080p/24)

Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS 5.1 in German, French, Portuguese and Spanish

Subtitles: German, Chinese, Danish, English HoH, Finnish, French, Netherlands, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish
Bonus Material: Deleted Scenes (HD, ca. 9 Min.), THE THING in the Making (Making of, HD, ca. 14 Min.), Fire & Ice (HD, ca. 5 Min.), Audio Commentary by Director Matthijs van Heijningen and Producer Eric Newman

Last edited by a moderator:
they killed it
Not so . . . look at the *gleam in Childs' eye:-
1569633119161.png

* Cinematographer Dean Cundy reveals a sly lighting technique used throughout the film to indicate when a character has become no longer human, "I discussed with John doing a subtle lighting trick to imply who might be 'the thing''".... he explained, “So we were looking for some kind of a subtle way, to say which one of these (men) might be human. You’ll notice there’s always an eye light, we call it, a little gleam in the eye of the actor.”

if all of these were in English I'd buy every version, sadly I don't think I can buy any of them as my C at GCSE German won't surfice

All 3 look good but I'm happy with my Mondo steel.
This movie seems to have a ton of good editions and I cant afford to get into it haha.

I got 2 of the Turbine Mediabooks yesterday. Here a view on the front cover of them. The Thing comes with the synopsis and credits on the backcover.
20191208_070816_2.jpg

Last edited: