Mar 25, 2013
London
Release date: September 20, 2021
Purchase links: Entertainment Store - Zavvi - HMV - WB Shop - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99
Note: Includes 4 discs: 4K UHD, Blu-ray, The Thing 2011 Disc & Soundtrack CD

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dented corners and creases are why I will go with the Taiwan edition and customize it with the Zavvi exclusive steel.

well, amazon didn't cancel as requested, but got delivered today, what a total shambles, I am fuming...:mad:

Came in those A3 super thin card envelopes and was squished, all corners, i've taken a pic of the worst side.. Going back ASAP.

Squished Thing.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: MM3
Nice! Do you think Studio Canal will ever release these John Carpenter sets again?
The Thing is not a StudioCanal release

If you mean the previous John Carpenter 4K releases from StudioCanal
The Fog/Escape From New York/Prince of Darkness/They Live these collector's editions already got a limited re-release on September 20th 2021

Reactions: confessor94
The Thing is not a StudioCanal release

If you mean the previous John Carpenter 4K releases from StudioCanal
The Fog/Escape From New York/Prince of Darkness/They Live these collector's editions already got a limited re-release on September 20th 2021

Since The Thing isn't a Studio Canal release, do you think Universal will be printing more copies?

Since The Thing isn't a Studio Canal release, do you think Universal will be printing more copies?
I doubt Universal will do a reprint of the collector's edition
Universal already have a standard 4K Amaray release available majority of 4K UHD discs made are used for standard release

Another 4K UHD licenced to another label could happen at a later time as in likes of Scream Factory/Arrow but no info yet if that will happen

Reactions: confessor94
Sadly, I have the same problem :(. My copy has just been delivered from HMV, in a wraparound mailer, and also has a crease along one side and along the base. The mailer has obiously been squashed at some point as there is a crease along the inner section as that as well. Unfortunately the slipbox isn't very strong and the insert seems very flimsy, so it wouldn't take much to damge it.

This edition wasn't particularly cheap at £40, and I will now have to decide whether to keep it or return it and get the standard 4K edition instead. I do sometimes wish that I wasn't so fussy :).

View attachment 517678

View attachment 517679
It's been such a common issue for a while now, you'd think these retailers would learn to pack stuff properly! Surely they're losing more time and money in returns than they would if they just spent that little bit extra improving their packaging... makes absolutely no sense to me and is super frustrating having to deal with it time and time again.

Reactions: lenticularis
Actually quite glad that I cancelled this now.
Was never overly keen on the packaging as it's too flimsy and going by how all of these companies send stuff out I'm not surprised that a lot have turned up damaged.

Yep glad I skipped this too. Absolute shambles how the majority of these have turned up. I ended up going for the Ferguson steel last minute and have to say it’s lovely in hand

Actually quite glad that I cancelled this now.
Was never overly keen on the packaging as it's too flimsy and going by how all of these companies send stuff out I'm not surprised that a lot have turned up damaged.
I got the Thing zavvi steel. But got they live that is the same as this. I'm not sure why, maybe it was not in stock. But it is a rare instance of deep regret for me. I was expecting the slip to be like an arrow release, like tremors and donnie darko. Mine came from amazon with my monster hunter Steel and had very slight damage. But still.

Reactions: Robles
It's been such a common issue for a while now, you'd think these retailers would learn to pack stuff properly! Surely they're losing more time and money in returns than they would if they just spent that little bit extra improving their packaging... makes absolutely no sense to me and is super frustrating having to deal with it time and time again.
All they have to do is put it in a ******* box surrounded by those big inflatable plastic bumper things. Even though I have amazon prime I would happily add an extra £1 for better packaging on something like this. I have been lucky so far in that nothing turns up damaged. And usually with amazon getting a replacement would be as easy as telling them it was damaged. But with sold out collectors edition blu rays, that isn't so easy.

All they have to do is put it in a ******* box surrounded by those big inflatable plastic bumper things. Even though I have amazon prime I would happily add an extra £1 for better packaging on something like this. I have been lucky so far in that nothing turns up damaged. And usually with amazon getting a replacement would be as easy as telling them it was damaged. But with sold out collectors edition blu rays, that isn't so easy.

Oh they are quite capable of doing that, but most of the time they get things done backwards.

Happened to me this week:

Exhibit #1
Story of Ricky, £24.99, in a oversized padded box = perfect condition
The Thing Collectors Edition, much larger, £40, Sold Out, in a flimsy A3 card mailer = Crushed and dented

20210920-151118.jpg

@JinxyKatte Yeah you'd definitely think that with a release like this that they would bother to have a decent slipbox to go along with it. The amount of returns with this is going to be unbelievable by the looks of it.

Mine arrived from HMV in a large box along with The Fog, both perfect, thank god I didn't use Amazon, their packaging leaves a lot to be desired.

amazon marked mine as delivered 'handed to resident' but package nowhere to be seen. not the first time it happened. contacted amazon and told it has been marked as delivered early, but will arrive tomorrow. what kind of BS practice is this.

But I guess its better than marking it has 'handed to resident' when really its left outside under the bin or simply on the doorstep in the rain. yes its happened.