The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Received my copy from an ebay seller this morning. Had to resort to ebay as I had no idea this was selling out so fast. At £27, delivered, I can live with the price, especially, as the asking price seems sure to escalate rapidly.

Really happy to have a steelbook with this artwork.

Can't decide whether to keep this or the mondo steel. I think I prefer the Mondo steel but I like to have the best transfer possible... hmmmmm

Speedhen order arrived in perfect condition though
I love the mondo.

If your mondo steel is sealed and you want to do a quick swap, get in touch as I could suggest a few I own.

Mine showed up today at doorstep finally.

It´s only a few hours and that special edition artwork already grow on me, it´s so f*cking brilliant! :cigar: Only thing I still can´t get over with are these Arrow and rating logos :mad: why they didn´t put it on J card? :squint:

Steelbook is just average unfortunately, nothing special, no wow factor, back "artwork" sucks big time and last, but not least the finish itself :rolleyes: but all this was 100% expected so I´m not disappointed much, more like sad about wasted opportunity to be a stunner with new 4K restoration.....well, life goes on :D

If I decide to keep them both I will do it same as @davhyl , the ultimate edition :thumbs:

yeah, probably keep them both :whistle::giggle:

Only thing I still can´t get over with are these Arrow and rating logos :mad: why they didn´t put it on J card? :squint:

That's the reason why i eventually cancelled my preorder for the LE.
A logo and creditless art was basically the reason why i felt in love with steelbooks and (or) some SE's, LE's. Which makes them look like cool miniature posters.
About the steelbook itself, i also received mine this morning, i love the original poster art but as you already mentioned, the finish is rather average at best. Could have been much better with some debossing or gloss/spotgloss. Especially for a movie like 'The Thing' i was hoping for something more special. Even 'The Ghoulies' have a spotglossed shitter ;]

Even 'The Ghoulies' have a spotglossed shitter ;]

The GHOULIES 1 & 2 steelbook received a far better treatment with its embossing to both front and back but the films stink (IMO) so the crapper artwork is appropriate.
upload_2017-10-27_18-45-28.png
upload_2017-10-27_18-48-7.png
upload_2017-10-27_18-41-21.png

As for Arrow steelbooks - what we are paying for is the artwork . . . not the finish or the treatment.

The GHOULIES 1 & 2 steelbook received a far better treatment with its embossing to both front and back but the films stink (IMO) so the crapper artwork is appropriate.

As for Arrow steelbooks - what we are paying for is the artwork . . . not the finish or the treatment.

Yes virkia, that's exactly what i said. Even a "trash" horror with a toilet on the cover got a better treatment than 'The Ting'. Your response sounds like i said the opposite.

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
Timely pre-Halloween release JC steelbooks:-
upload_2017-10-29_14-50-38.png
upload_2017-10-29_14-51-22.png

I would welcome a few of his other films in steelbooks . . . such as STARMAN, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, a new CHRISTINE - with the classic image on the front - as well as DARK STAR for which I still have a soft spot.