Waxwork Records The Thing - OST by Ennio Morricone (colored vinyl)

dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER
Release: February 13, 2017
Purchase: Waxwork
Price: $32 (Standard "Snow" Edition) - $70 (Deluxe "Ice" Edition)

Notes: 1LP, Standard "Snow" Edition 180 gr “true white” colored Vinyl, Deluxe “Trapped In The Ice” Edition 180 gr "Deep Blue with White Haze" colored vinyl, both come in a Satin Coated Old-Style Gatefold Jacket with UV Spot-Gloss and includes a 11” x 22” Poster, exclusive to the Deluxe Edition is the heavyweight, Hand-Assembled, High-Gloss, Break-Away “Ice” Slipcase and a Booklet Featuring Exclusive Interview with Director John Carpenter, Artwork by Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative

theThing_Cacked_Ice.jpg
The_thing_white_web.jpg

The_Thing_White_Package_web.jpg

the_thing_white_LP_web.jpg

The_Thing_Blue_LP_web.jpg

the_thing_blue_web.jpg

thething_cover_web.jpg

The_Thing_Cracked_Ice_on_back.jpg

THETHING_INSERT.jpg

thething_back_cover_web.jpg

Waxwork Records is thrilled to present the deluxe soundtrack re-issue to 1982’s sci-fi horror classic, JOHN CARPENTER’S THE THING. Composed by the legendary Ennio Morricone, the soundtrack to THE THING is a landmark musical composition that is cold, dark, minimal, and effective.

Considered to be John Carpenter’s directorial masterpiece, THE THING is praised as one of the greatest films of it’s genre by both fans and critics. Starring Kurt Russell and A. Wilford Brimley, THE THING follows a team of researchers in Antarctica as they are infiltrated by a parasitic extraterrestrial life form that assimilates other organisms and then imitates them. The classic soundtrack composed by Ennio Morricone effectively captures the cold, isolated tone of the story and film, and marks one of the few John Carpenter directed films that Carpenter did not score himself.

Waxwork Records worked for two years to ensure that such a highly anticipated and sought after vinyl soundtrack re-issue would meet and exceed expectations of the biggest fan of John Carpenter and his sci-fi / horror tour de force that is THE THING.

Features include the complete Ennio Morricone soundtrack re-mastered from the original master tapes, your choice of two different 180 gram colored vinyl variants, all new artwork by Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative, deluxe heavyweight packaging including satin coated old-style gatefold jackets with UV spot-gloss varnish, an 11” x 22” poster, a custom hand assembled breakaway “ice” slipcase with 100% overall UV gloss coating, and an exclusive interview with director John Carpenter.

Deluxe “Trapped In The Ice” Edition
  • Heavyweight, Hand-Assembled, High-Gloss, Break-Away “Ice” Slipcase
  • 180 Gram “Ice” Vinyl (Deep Blue with White Haze)
  • Satin Coated Old-Style Gatefold Jacket with UV Spot-Gloss
  • 11” x 22” Poster
  • New Artwork By Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative
  • Booklet Featuring Exclusive Interview with Director John Carpenter
Standard “Snow” Edition
  • 180 Gram “Snow” Vinyl (True White)
  • Satin Coated Old-Style Gatefold Jacket with UV Spot-Gloss
  • 11” x 22” Poster
  • New Artwork By Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative

Tracklist:

Side A

1. Humanity (Part 1)
  2. Shape
  3. Contamination
  4. Bestiality
  5. Solitude
  6. Eternity

SIDE B

1. Wait
  2. Humanity (Part 2)
  3. Sterilization
  4. Despair

Last edited:
Sorry have to disagree. Black vinyl produces superior sound and yes i do know how it works
Well see that's not possible. If you do know how it works, then you can't possibly think it produces superior sound. But I guess everyone's allowed to have his own opinion, so I'm not going to argue.

I don't claim to be a know-it-all or anything when it comes to vinyl, but @dan8885 once told me the exact same thing about black vinyl producing better sound than colour vinyl, and clear vinyl is apparently meant to be the purest...? I've since seen many others saying the same and must admit that I've personally only ever experienced sound issues with coloured variants, so there must be some truth to it IMO.

You obviously don't know how vinyl pressing works. Go see on youtube how it is and you'll see that whether it's black, red or any other color it's the same. No color doesn't mean black, no color is transparent. They use the exact same technique to put black or any other color. So if you have a problem with colored vinyl, you have a problem with black vinyl.

Sorry have to disagree. Black vinyl produces superior sound and yes i do know how it works

I don't claim to be a know-it-all or anything when it comes to vinyl, but @dan8885 once told me the exact same thing about black vinyl producing better sound than colour vinyl, and clear vinyl is apparently meant to be the purest...? I've since seen many others saying the same and must admit that I've personally only ever experienced sound issues with coloured variants, so there must be some truth to it IMO.

Sorry that I'm absent here at the moment, it's because of some personal issues.

Black vinyl is also a colored vinyl. The PVC pellets that are used for all vinyl comes first clear. But there's truth behind that black vinyl sounds better most of the time than any other color. It's because the pressing plant is adjusted for black pellets and run on this adjustment 24/7. If you want to do a colored/clear run you need to stop the pressing plant, clean the plant, fill in the colored pellets, start the plant and press. The temperature of the machine gets cold by turning off and then gets warm again when starting. This temperature difference cause trouble in spreading the pellets evenly in the machine what is one problem of (maybe) a less quality in sound. It's not safe to say that all colored vinyl are bad but if there's a problem in sound like pops or surface noise it's rather in a colored vinyl than a regular black. Also, the black material that is in the PVC pellets is a raw carbon material and in a full black theres more carbon what makes the record more durable. So colored vinyl with less carbon will not last as long as the higher carbon records. Also in the black pellets there are special chemicals used especially for vinyl records. Like oil for running the stylus better. The colored pellets are just colored pellets. You can make a record out of them or a sippy cup. There's no special adjustment to them like in the black pellets.

Worst quality and highest surface noise you get most of the time with picture disc and splatter vinyl.

The 180 gr btw don't do anything to the sound. It doesnt matter to mastering and sound if its 100 gr, 140 gr, 180 gr or 200 gr. The 180 gr sticker and title in the name is a confidence trick. The advantage is of course a more robust feel in hand and technically it gives a better platform on the turntable for your stylus, but it's not a feature that gives you better sound.

Black vinyl is also a colored vinyl. The PVC pellets that are used for all vinyl comes first clear. But there's truth behind that black vinyl sounds better most of the time than any other color. It's because the pressing plant is adjusted for black pellets and run on this adjustment 24/7. If you want to do a colored/clear run you need to stop the pressing plant, clean the plant, fill in the colored pellets, start the plant and press. The temperature of the machine gets cold by turning off and then gets warm again when starting. This temperature difference cause trouble in spreading the pellets evenly in the machine what is one problem of (maybe) a less quality in sound. It's not safe to say that all colored vinyl are bad but if there's a problem in sound like pops or surface noise it's rather in a colored vinyl than a regular black. Also, the black material that is in the PVC pellets is a raw carbon material and in a full black theres more carbon what makes the record more durable. So colored vinyl with less carbon will not last as long as the higher carbon records. Also in the black pellets there are special chemicals used especially for vinyl records. Like oil for running the stylus better. The colored pellets are just colored pellets. You can make a record out of them or a sippy cup. There's no special adjustment to them like in the black pellets.

Worst quality and highest surface noise you get most of the time with picture disc and splatter vinyl.

The 180 gr btw don't do anything to the sound. It doesnt matter to mastering and sound if its 100 gr, 140 gr, 180 gr or 200 gr. The 180 gr sticker and title in the name is a confidence trick. The advantage is of course a more robust feel in hand and technically it gives a better platform on the turntable for your stylus, but it's not a feature that gives you better sound.
Thanks for the very thorough reply. Sending lots of positive vibes to you for your personal matters. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885

Good to hear from you Dan! Really sorry to hear you're going through some personal issues at the moment. I wish you the very best of course and hope everything works out ok in the end. Please feel free to let me know if I can help you in any way mate.

Thank you for the helpful and informative post as always. We genuinely couldn't ask for a better Vinyl Mod! :notworthy:

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and dan8885
Thanks for the very thorough reply. Sending lots of positive vibes to you for your personal matters. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Good to hear from you Dan! Really sorry to hear you're going through some personal issues at the moment. I wish you the very best of course and hope everything works out ok in the end. Please feel free to let me know if I can help you in any way mate.

Thank you for the helpful and informative post as always. We genuinely couldn't ask for a better Vinyl Mod! :notworthy:

Thanks guys, much appreciated :kiss:

Good to hear from you, hope your ok mate

;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885

I hope you're okay ;)

Thanks for the big explanation, I knew the first part, but wasn't aware of the problem of warm from restarting the machines. If @Lollard2002 had told me this, I have to say I wouldn't have argued, but only saying black is better with nothing to back it up, well..

Also, I'm sure not every pressing plant runs 24/7, and I'm sure that now and then black vinyl are the first thing that are being pressed when the machines turns on (and also after having pressed a colored vinyl, well you have to do the same steps you said they took to restart everything, here to go back pressing black vinyl), and so you have the same problem here. So it's apparently only a matter of chance, and nothing else. We could also argue that they spend more time checking runs of colored vinyl since they're smaller compared to black vinyl runs, but then again if that was true, I wouldn't have to ask Mondo to send me replacement copies all the time ^^ So I personnally don't think any statement saying "Black is better than the rest of colors" could be true. They're overall the same, only clear is better. Again, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to come here and settle this, and I wih you a great week ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
I hope you're okay ;)

Thanks for the big explanation, I knew the first part, but wasn't aware of the problem of warm from restarting the machines. If @Lollard2002 had told me this, I have to say I wouldn't have argued, but only saying black is better with nothing to back it up, well..

Also, I'm sure not every pressing plant runs 24/7, and I'm sure that now and then black vinyl are the first thing that are being pressed when the machines turns on (and also after having pressed a colored vinyl, well you have to do the same steps you said they took to restart everything, here to go back pressing black vinyl), and so you have the same problem here. So it's apparently only a matter of chance, and nothing else. We could also argue that they spend more time checking runs of colored vinyl since they're smaller compared to black vinyl runs, but then again if that was true, I wouldn't have to ask Mondo to send me replacement copies all the time ^^ So I personnally don't think any statement saying "Black is better than the rest of colors" could be true. They're overall the same, only clear is better. Again, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to come here and settle this, and I wih you a great week ;)

Pressing Plants operating most of the time 24/7 because theres more demand than supply. In the US there are only 20 Pressing Plants. In Germany are only 3. Worldwide I think there's only 160 Plants. All of them are still from the 1970s. And not all of them can press a quality record. There's only one company worldwide who is able to build new pressing plants and those are super expensive. A pop artist sells 15000-20000 records on release week. Black vinyl. So surely black vinyl is running most of the time through the plants. They constantly push back vinyl releases because of the pressing plant can't keep up. Plus there's more and more custom orders who slow down processes. And all the goodies who are needs to added today to the packaging today like inserts, download cards and whatever slows it also down. So you can figure out how much time they take for quality control.

Pressing Plants operating most of the time 24/7 because theres more demand than supply. In the US there are only 20 Pressing Plants. In Germany are only 3. Worldwide I think there's only 160 Plants. All of them are still from the 1970s. And not all of them can press a quality record. There's only one company worldwide who is able to build new pressing plants and those are super expensive. A pop artist sells 15000-20000 records on release week. Black vinyl. So surely black vinyl is running most of the time through the plants. They constantly push back vinyl releases because of the pressing plant can't keep up. Plus there's more and more custom orders who slow down processes. And all the goodies who are needs to added today to the packaging today like inserts, download cards and whatever slows it also down. So you can figure out how much time they take for quality control.
Didn't a small label just opened a pressing plant ? Can't remember which one but I'm sure there's one. As for my QC statement, I was only talking about small OST labels, such as those featured in this section on the forum. I can't speak for other kind of labels, as I don't buy anything other than OST.

Didn't a small label just opened a pressing plant ? Can't remember which one but I'm sure there's one. As for my QC statement, I was only talking about small OST labels, such as those featured in this section on the forum. I can't speak for other kind of labels, as I don't buy anything other than OST.

Not a small label, Jack White from the White Stripes with his label Third Man Records. They did HDNs Vinyl OST of the Year 2016, Hateful Eight. And yes, this was mindblowing. The first new pressing plant since the 70s. And it was build by the one company I mentioned. And they build it just because of the problems I mentioned.

I understand but those small company's getting their vinyl pressed at the same plants where the pop artists do theirs.

Not a small label, Jack White from the White Stripes with his label Third Man Records. They did HDNs Vinyl OST of the Year 2016, Hateful Eight. And yes, this was mindblowing. The first new pressing plant since the 70s. And it was build by the one company I mentioned. And they build it just because of the problems I mentioned.

I understand but those small company's getting their vinyl pressed at the same plants where the pop artists do theirs.
Okay well I'll stop arguing then :notworthy:

It is correct in regards to sound quality between coloured vinyl and standard black vinyl

If sound quality is the more important factor in your purchase of Vinyl then best to stick to Black Vinyl or Clear Vinyl

Some coloured vinyl can be decent sound quality and not much difference but that really depends on the record plant who manufactured the vinyl and can vary as to the quality of sound

Picture Discs are most times very poor sound quality and really are only collectors items but you do on rare occasions get some that have no sound quality issues but it's rare
Star Wars Force Awakens Picture Disc is decent sound Quality while Blade Runner Picture Disc is terrible

Coloured Vinyl and Picture Disc Vinyl really are for looking at and been collectors items and not for high audible quality but you do get the few releases that are decent sound but it's rare when it's a picture disc

It also depends on how the vinyl has been mastered as some black vinyl can also have poor quality sound sometimes

I'm getting back into purchasing Vinyl recently and have noticed the difference between my older Vinyl in my collection compared to the newer vinyl in terms of sound quality and especially the coloured vinyl

My older Vinyl from back in the 60's 70's and 80's have in most cases better sound quality and most of these have been black vinyl or yellow vinyl and clear vinyl

Sadly the re-release of The Thing via the mighty Arrow has made me desire this even more, sadly it's going to involve horrendously high eBay prices. Dammit
Arrow have been asked by fans to do a Vinyl release of the Thing as part of their new Arrow Records Label
Arrow replied to this they will look into it as a possible release as to if that happens or not is unknown for now

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
Arrow have been asked by fans to do a Vinyl release of the Thing as part of their new Arrow Records Label
Arrow replied to this they will look into it as a possible release as to if that happens or not is unknown for now
What could they possibly do that Waxwork's double release didn't do?!