Starring: Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Sean Penn, Tye Sheridan, Fiona Shaw
  • United States
  • 139 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #942
3121FF91-A021-40EB-A701-D4141EBCF24B.jpeg

Four decades into an already legendary career, Terrence Malick realized his most rapturous vision to date, tracing a story of childhood, wonder, and grief to the outer limits of time and space. Reaching back to the dawn of creation, Malick sets a story of boyhood memories on a universal scale, charting the coming of age of an awestruck child (newcomer Hunter McCracken) in Texas in the 1950s, as he learns to navigate the extremes of nature and grace represented by his bitter, often tyrannical father (Brad Pitt) and his ethereal, nurturing mother (Jessica Chastain, in her breakout role). Shot with nimble attention to life’s most fleeting moments by Emmanuel Lubezki, the Palme d’Or–winning The Tree of Life marks the intimately personal, cosmically ambitious culmination of Malick’s singular approach to filmmaking.
A860B677-FC11-43AB-9870-F85184CC0E1A.jpeg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New extended version of the film featuring an additional fifty minutes of footage
  • Exploring “The Tree of Life,” a 2011 documentary featuring collaborators and admirers of Malick’s, including filmmakers David Fincher and Christopher Nolan
  • New interviews with actor Jessica Chastain and visual-effects supervisor Dan Glass
  • Interview from 2011 with composer Alexandre Desplat about the film, and a new interview with music critic Alex Ross about Malick’s approach to music
  • Video essay from 2011 by critic Matt Zoller Seitz
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Kent Jones and a 2011 piece on the film by critic Roger Ebert
New cover by Neil Kellerhouse

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalbabe
Would love for this one to turn up in the UK! Not holding my breath though, since none of the other Malick titles have appeared over here yet.

If there is a more boring pretentious film on the planet I have yet to see it and I thought The English Patient was bad Sorry but Criterion are not impressing me these days with their output and sadly poor encoding

If there is a more boring pretentious film on the planet I have yet to see it and I thought The English Patient was bad Sorry but Criterion are not impressing me these days with their output and sadly poor encoding

What the hell man this movie is a masterpiece, I get if you think malicks films from 'to the wonder' on are kind of boring but the tree of life is a truly incredible film - I'm still so happy that i saw it in theatres back when it was released.
However I probably won't be picking this up, the france digipack version i got is really awesome:
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B005974CTE/?tag=hidefnin0a-21

Yeah, I noticed a while back. I definitely prefer the new art... in fact, I love it!
Yeah, I didn't until recently! Btw- there was some bellyaching online about them not including the Imax and theatrical versions of Voyage of Time. Although, both of those are available on Blu ray discs from France and Germany. (Although The French one apparently has forced French subs).
I am very curious to see this edition of TOL with the 50 extra minutes.

Yeah, I didn't until recently! Btw- there was some bellyaching online about them not including the Imax and theatrical versions of Voyage of Time. Although, both of those are available on Blu ray discs from France and Germany. (Although The French one apparently has forced French subs).
I am very curious to see this edition of TOL with the 50 extra minutes.
It never even crossed my mind that they could've included Voyage of Time, but now that you've mentioned it, I want it on there too! :p

Same here in regards to the extra 50 mins... I can only imagine it'll be completely breathtaking.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Nice! I wonder if from now - UK/US new Criterion editions will be synchronous.
(I'm sure territorial rights issues play into that - but it would be nice, eh?)
It would definitely be nice, but I wouldn't count on it... Criterion UK don't strike me as the type to actually have a plan - for one, they keep announcing titles only to then pull them weeks later (a lot seem to think Tree of Life might receive the same fate). :ohno: