The Vault Film Collection Feedback Poll

What were the best parts of this Collectible Edition?

• Vice Press Artwork

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Outer Box and Acetate O-Ring

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Art Cards

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Foldout Digipack

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Plaque (crystal etched)

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • In World Artefacts

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Hi all,

The studios would like to hear what you liked best, and also what you feel is missing?

You can select 3 choices of the 6 as to what you liked best.

And you can sound off in the comments as to what you think might be missing! Areas of improvement as well.

Lastly did you like the size of the edition?

Blade Runner, 1917, Scarface, Goodfellas

14005748-1664996718714901.jpg

Vice Press art is the only good aspect of this editions imo

too large and content inside is unintersting and not really collectible..

switch the weird digipak with a steelbook, however, and the editions whole lot better all of a sudden.. if its too expensive, scrap the weird plaque additionally thats apparently only there to damage the edition during transit anyways

but maybe its just not for me

Last edited:
I'm yet to purchase any because of the prices, but from what I've seen I very much like the look/design of them all. I personally think using digipaks is a nice change from steelbooks, but obviously wouldn't be mad if they did switch to steels either lol. The plaque thing should definitely go though... it just feels like a semi-expensive waste of space that no one will actually display or do anything with. Same for the art cards tbh, although I can't imagine them costing too much extra anyway tbf. Obviously I can't really speak on the size of these editions due to not having any in hand, but again, from what I have seen, they do look pretty hefty, and I'm yet to make up my mind whether that's a good or bad thing - larger sets do feel more premium imo, but I can imagine shelf space soon becoming an issue if these were to get regular waves of releases and folks wanted to collect them all. The VP exclusive versions with the posters definitely felt more tempting to me anyway and priced quite fairly as well, so it might be cool to see them become more of a standard thing... or maybe just do a smaller poster for the non-exclusive sets or something?? Whatever they decide to do, I look forward to seeing more and hope to eventually pick some up once I have a bit more cash (and if they haven't all sold out by then :ohno:).

Oh, and I'm a sucker for a pin badge, so that'd be a cool extra imo, since they're not too costly. I realise Titan's of Cult already do that with their sets, but I'm sure Matt & Co. could do a much better job at them ;)

Reactions: Flloydo
@Flloydo You're an outspoken/honest dude who appreciates fine art. Think I recall you actually picked one or two of these up as well(?), so it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on how they could maybe improve them.

I'm yet to purchase any because of the prices, but from what I've seen I very much like the look/design of them all. I personally think using digipaks is a nice change from steelbooks, but obviously wouldn't be mad if they did switch to steels either lol. The plaque thing should definitely go though... it just feels like a semi-expensive waste of space that no one will actually display or do anything with. Same for the art cards tbh, although I can't imagine them costing too much extra anyway tbf. Obviously I can't really speak on the size of these editions due to not having any in hand, but again, from what I have seen, they do look pretty hefty, and I'm yet to make up my mind whether that's a good or bad thing - larger sets do feel more premium imo, but I can imagine shelf space soon becoming an issue if these were to get regular waves of releases and folks wanted to collect them all. The VP exclusive versions with the posters definitely felt more tempting to me anyway and priced quite fairly as well, so it might be cool to see them become more of a standard thing... or maybe just do a smaller poster for the standard sets or something?? Whatever they decide to do, I look forward to seeing more and hope to eventually pick some up once I have a bit more cash (and if they haven't all sold out by then :ohno:).
agree with everything except for the size factor.. imo larger sets do not or at least do not *necessarily* feel more premium.. imo its quite the opposite.. the best and classiest looking editions have focused on the basics, i.e. great looking full slip+steelbook + maybe a nice booklet without wasting space for worthless trinkets like the plaque... huge sets feel like quantity over quality for me most often and i feel like one average item can already drag the overall impression down significantly

oh btw i also dislike the plastic slipcover which takes away from the great art thats being used

agree with everything except for the size factor.. imo larger sets do not or at least do not *necessarily* feel more premium.. imo its quite the opposite.. the best and classiest looking editions have focused on the basics, i.e. great looking full slip+steelbook + maybe a nice booklet without wasting space for worthless trinkets like the plaque... huge sets feel like quantity over quality for me most often and i feel like one average item can already drag the overall impression down significantly

oh btw i also dislike the plastic slipcover which takes away from the great art thats being used
When you put it like that, I 100% agree. If they're large just for the sake of filling it with "trinkets", then no thanks! But for such sets as these that are very art focused, I feel it shows the artwork off much better and makes them look more like an actual display piece.

As for the acetate slip, I don't mind them, but could also happily live without them. I just see them as a way of keeping the artwork clear of rating logos etc., plus they act as a bit of extra protection.

Add a Steelbook, a hardcover book with I would say at least 30 pages of information of the movie (there is a ton of interesting info about scarface most people don't know about) and never before seen images (most people never seen the principal photography images so might as well add those)
Or just a small envelop filled with some of those nice photo cards, it is the best part of that edition I don't care so much about the rest

They pretty much nailed it, nice sturdy outer casing, a protecting sleeve with all the info printed on it instead of those stupid J cards.:thanks:

Summary:
- Add Steelbook
- Add Book with info+images
- Art cards
- Add the yayo (but that would probably be too much)

a hardcover book with I would say at least 30 pages of information of the movie
I'd be down for that and almost suggested it myself, but then realised it'd probably bump up the price even more. However, if they could remove the other stuff (plaque, art cards etc.) and instead replace them with a book whilst keeping the price the same/lower, then I'd be much more likely to buy them!

I'd be down for that and almost suggested it myself, but then realised it'd probably bump up the price even more. However, if they could remove the other stuff (plaque, art cards etc.) and instead replace them with a book whilst keeping the price the same/lower, then I'd be much more likely to buy them!
Hardcover book would significantly increase the weight/shipping cost.
make the edition a steelbook with custom slip....But that's just preaching to the choir. :LOL:

Reactions: hatredhorror
Got a lot to say about these but the only thing I’m selecting in the poll is artwork!

So the positives are the outside artwork by Ferguson and Florey and the PET. Oh a the minor spot gloss on the envelope or digibook.... minor! That’s all really. Nothing else in the editions has any wow factor. As wholes they are nice sets but my cons list might say otherwise. And it might sound harsh but these studios never listen to feedback and usually get worse so I’m sick of it.

So the cons.
•The price. It’s ridiculous for what you get. I expect at least a steelbook in there instead of a CD sized digibook
•The size. A part of me likes the size because it’s feels a bit special but there’s nothing inside that warrants that size. It kinda confuses me. They don’t sit well on the shelf either. They stick out too much. They are just an awkward size. Holding it feels like you have something special in your hand and then you open it up and the mystique disappears.
•The limited physical extras. I like that for example the 1917 version includes memorabilia from the film the photos but none of the other sets do. The goodfellas extras are really weak. Just stills. There should be loads of stills/ behind the scenes/ concept art/ stuff from the film included. This stuff is so cheap to make they usually give them away in press packets. There should be no excuses. And if the envelope isn’t big enough then make it big enough. The box is f**king huge there’s shouldn’t even be a conversation on it.
•the quality is poor. Mine all have bits of card bent Inside or ripped where the block sits or it slides through where it’s broken through
•The clear block is a let down. Just really boring designs. And the image isn’t even 3D like you see in those clear blocks in gift shops. It’s just a flat image on the back of the block. massive let down
•PET - over all it’s fine but the printed j card info on the back is poor. Should be more art or something added to the outside image.
•Ratings should be stickers. Sick of the U.K. ruining everything with all that sh!t

What to change:
•Steelbook instead of CD sized digipak
•add a finish to the outside artwork.
•More extras - art cards/ concept art etc
•Cheaper price
•if you have to include a block then improve on it - make the image 3D or just remove it.
•Include a well detailed pin

There’s probably more but that’s just off the top of my head. I didn’t bother with blade runner because I don’t like the film and I’ll pick up 1917 in a sale for £25 or less

Oh one last thing. Don’t give us the usual over released films. Ok some might work if the NEW art is worth it but stop dishing out the same sodding films

Oh, and I'm a sucker for a pin badge, so that'd be a cool extra imo, since they're not too costly. I realise Titan's of Cult already do that with their sets, but I'm sure Matt & Co. could do a much better job at them ;)
Ah yeah I’d also prefer a pin. But they have to be decent. As you say none of that ToC sh!tty designs. I want proper cool pins. With detail. Like some of the ones we both own

Reactions: Noodles
Ah yeah I’d also prefer a pin. But they have to be decent. As you say none of that ToC sh!tty designs. I want proper cool pins. With detail. Like some of the ones we both own
I honestly don't mind some of ToC's, but a lot of them are a bit random. VP have put out some decent ones in the past IIRC.

Hardcover book would significantly increase the weight/shipping cost.
make the edition a steelbook with custom slip....But that's just preaching to the choir. :LOL:
It doesn't have to be a hardcover or even that thick, but I feel if they were to just do a digipak/steelbook + book + poster then it would actually be more of a collectible item and justify a higher price anyway.

I prefer to keep the digipack ... price is already high, but it's fine for me.

Add a steelbook insteand of digipack will increase the price.

The new line collection is great, because materials are very good, and they need to keep the box with rigid carton and magnetic opening.

Really looking forward to see next titles for "The Films Vault Range" ... and really hope as French I could buy it on Amazon UK, as Zavvi did not work anymore for European customers.

ToC was really interesting at the beginning, with amazing editions, but there is many titles ToC I did not bought because, no more effort to offer creativity with visual steelbook.
And there is still the same issue with ToC inner packaging, you can easily scratch the steelbook !

Reactions: Noodles
Firstly, they have to Remove the card trays for the inner box, as these crystal glass blocks are destroying them, causing tears, creasing and ruining the sets for many people, god knows how many returns retailers got for the damaged ones, not seen many open ones which are mint.... I suggest a hard foam inner, this would solve the issues out of the gate, such a shame no one tested the prototypes to test for these problems.

Now as for the rest,
I like the Artwork choices,
I like the Box and the Acetate O-Ring, however, the Printed Age Rating logos need to be replaced with removeable stickers.
I actually like the Numbered Crystal glass block, but MUST remove the card inners with a Foam inner to avoid damage.
I'm so-so with the Artcards, they're nice and glossy, and would look nice framed, but seen all this before.

As for what could be improved,

As mentioned, sort out the damage causing Crystal glass block packaging
I'd prefer a nice glossy booklet, in the same size format as the folder containing the artcards etc... with some fresh writing / essays, storyboards, behind the scenes info etc...
Maybe add some spot glossing to the box artwork rather than it being all matte finish.
Maybe consider when shipping out to retailers, pre-boxing individually to avoid online retailers shipping out in poor quality packaging.
Needs to be cheaper, £40 is more in the range i'd pay, £50 is pushing it

Art was absolutely banging across all titles. Really impressed with the sets overall but yeah, some gloss on the outer box would be nice and a sturdier implementation for the plaque (my Scarface one had pushed through the cardboard slot and became loose)

Artwork: 10/10; beautiful, inspired. Great stuff.
Packaging: 5/10; WAY too tall and long; a full size digipak/steelbook would be better than CD-size.
Goodies: 6/10; the glass is interesting, but I'd much prefer a good quality enamel pin/keychain or mini prop replica.

I look forward to seeing more. Keep up with the great artwork!

Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles