The Wonderful Worlds of Ray Harryhausen, Volume Two: 1961-1964 (Blu-ray+DVD Limited Edition) (Powerhouse Films) [UK]

Jan 25, 2012
Piraeus, Greece
Release date: November 13, 2017
Purchase Links: Powerhouse Films - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £42.99

61LLwZ6FDkL._SX342_.jpg

21317827_1934254836862752_1172969252592665976_n.jpg

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 4K restorations from the original camera negatives
• Mono and 5.1 surround sound audio options
• Ray Harryhausen audio commentaries
• Additional Mysterious Island audio commentary with film historians Randall William Cook, C. Courtney Joyner and Steven C. Smith
• Additional Jason and the Argonauts audio commentary with filmmaker Peter Jackson and Randall William Cook
'Jason and the Argonauts' Original Skeleton Fight Storyboards
Ray Harryhausen on 'Mysterious Island'
Hal Hickel on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new interview with the special effects maestro
Kim Newman on 'Mysterious Island' (2017): new appreciation by the author and genre-film expert
Islands of Mystery: vintage featurette
Randall William Cook Introduces 'First Men in the Moon'
Tomorrow the Moon: vintage featurette
• New and exclusive interviews with crew members, including camera assistant Ray Andrew (Mysterious Island) and production manager Ted Wallis (First Men in the Moon)
Mysterious Island comic-book
• Archival documentaries and interviews
• Super 8 versions of Mysterious Island and Jason and the Argonauts
• Isolated scores: experience the music of Bernard Herrmann (Mysterious Island) and Laurie Johnson (First Men in the Moon)
• Original trailers, teasers, TV spots and promotional films
• John Landis trailer commentary for First Men in the Moon
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
• Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with new essays by film experts Kim Newman and Tim Lucas, an in-depth oral history of all three films, and full film credits
• UK Blu-ray premieres of Mysterious Island and First Men in the Moon
• Limited Dual Format Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered units

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, @DarkChild! :thumbs:wish the HMV Premium Collection edition of Jason and the Argonauts hadn't come out early enough this year for me to buy it. this is the set and edition to own, knocks the HMV one flat.
giphy.gif

Edit: just got my own email from Powerhouse: "This third and final Limited Edition box set of the pioneering visual effects giant’s celebrated work contains three more of the great Ray Harryhausen’s most beloved films." I assume they are counting the first as the Sinbad set. At least we know we don't have to make extra shelf space available for further Volumes.

Last edited:
Ordered within 30 seconds of getting my email from indicator. What I'll be comparing Jason to is the astonishing CAV PAL laserdisc. That's what I'll be judging it by.

It'll be weird having RH Volume 2 without having Volume 1....
But I don't want the movies in the first set. (I appreciate his work in them - but not the movies themselves.) But I DO love the movies in the second set!
I even have the Twilight Time's FIRST MEN IN THE MOON already.
But this may be the last word on the definitive Jason & The Argonauts for home video - and any self respecting cinephile must have that!

Jason and the Argonauts in this box set
It's the same Blu-ray that was in Jason and the Argonauts (Hmv Exclusive) - The Premium Collection release and the USA Sony release
Same transfer and same extras and same disc menu
Disc Artwork might be the only difference it is with the DVD at least

Unboxing Video
Not My Video

Last edited:
Since I already have TT's "MI" and "FMitM" and I've heard the "Jason" release will essentially be a duplicate of the Premium release, I was really torn on whether to order this or not.
Well, of course I've ordered it, life is too short to worry about such trivial issues......
Also, since I have the "Sinbad" set and "Vol 1", completion mode kicked in immediately upon viewing.

edit; I guess that email from PH noted a few posts up means that the Digibook of "Clash" is the best we will see for some time. Sad but then, I guess the source has issues that would be difficult to overcome regardless.

happy days. :happy: lazy weekend afternoons are now fully sorted for some time. :thumbs: for anyone still considering this, it's exactly as good as the Sinbad and Vol. 1 sets (my unboxing here and here), i think both are still available.
View media item 24749
you've got the video above from Paul, which may be all you need, but if you'd like some in-hand shots, here you go. unsealed front, sealed back and special features:

the compete package is just rather pleasing. a solid slip, well printed, with the three dual format amarays with the reversible sleeves again:

the amarays again use the original poster art and vary the disc art between DVD and blu ray. Mysterious Island:

@Grendel, Jason & The Argonauts is, as mentioned above by @paulboland, exactly the same as the recent HMV Premium collection release, so considering you also get a fabulous booklet with lots of content about Jason, makes me wish i'd just waited a month earlier this year! the one difference is the Indicator packaging for some of the amaray and the discs, but the on-screen menus are the same as the HMV release, so don't match the rest of the Indicator sets' menus:

shots of First Men On The Moon:

the USP still remains the booklet, again over 50 perfect bound pages of photos, essays, interviews with all the key players, and lots of Harryhausen :Snap: :Snap: :Snap::

got to agree with @C.C. 95 - a must-have for any respecting cinephile:
View media item 24752
and :Snap::

a great set and, combined, a fitting tribute to a true cinema originator. :notworthy: :happy:
giphy.gif