The Young Ones: The Complete Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray Box Set) (BBC) [UK]

Apr 20, 2011
UK
Release date: November 28, 2022
Purchase link: Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £19.99

815OIflQZvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't the bus over the cliff sequence on film?
I'll support this release for the new extras and potentially uncut status (I have the first BBC DVD releases which I think may have cuts), also hope that Bottom and Filthy, Rich & Catflap get similar treatments next (though those probably have no film sequences at all/either).

Why were they cut? :confused:
No idea. I know Only Fools is hacked to bits on DVD. The specials that came out on Blu-ray last year were uncut for the first time. Minder is with Network and Freemantle won't allow them to release it on blu-ray uncut. Umbrella entertainment in oz is the only way to get Minder uncut with series extras... Could be different rights issues.

No idea. I know Only Fools is hacked to bits on DVD. The specials that came out on Blu-ray last year were uncut for the first time. Minder is with Network and Freemantle won't allow them to release it on blu-ray uncut. Umbrella entertainment in oz is the only way to get Minder uncut with series extras... Could be different rights issues.

Only Fools is music rights. Can you tell me what was cut in MINDER? I think the ViaVision MINDER also has the commentaries.

Only Fools is music rights. Can you tell me what was cut in MINDER? I think the ViaVision MINDER also has the commentaries.
No dialogue cuts as well in only Fools and Horses. Here is a complete list.

I don't have the list but all reviews say the UK sets are hacked to bits, this is the only way to get Minder uncut at the minute

Reactions: Maccaloon
I don't have the list but all reviews say the UK sets are hacked to bits, this is the only way to get Minder uncut at the minute

Thanks for that. So, this is essentially the same as the previous Umbrella release in being fully uncut (just asking before I spend over £100 ordering it).

I was also looking at this: Minder: The Complete Collection (Series 1 - 10) | Via Vision Entertainment

Is this version different to the one you've suggested, i.e, is it cut?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. So, this is essentially the same as the previous Umbrella release in being fully uncut (just asking before I spend over £100 ordering it).

I was also looking at this: Minder: The Complete Collection (Series 1 - 10) | Via Vision Entertainment

Is this version different to the one you've suggested, i.e, is it cut?

Thanks.
The Via Vision set is the same Umbrella set. I have no idea if they have the rights to use HD prints or have any plans for blu-ray as clearly Oz rights are different to the UK Network rights. I've been tempted to buy but holding back in the slim hope of a UK blu-ray release uncut.

Reactions: Maccaloon
I have compared the British DVD Minder release to my 80's off-air VHS recordings, and can find no censorship cuts. However, where they have taken the break bumpers out, and the theme music plays in with the start of the next part, there are lots of bits missing. These are predominantly insignificant scenes - ie panning shots and silent bits - but there are a few bits of dialogue hacked out. First bit of dialogue in part 2 of Dessert Song and the same in A Nice Little Wine, for example. Editors were trying to get past the music playing in, which was totally unnecessary and also carried out with varying degrees of laziness. Not a Bad Lad Dad has a fair bit of Terry & Penny playing football with the lad removed.

The Via Vision set is the same Umbrella set. I have no idea if they have the rights to use HD prints or have any plans for blu-ray as clearly Oz rights are different to the UK Network rights. I've been tempted to buy but holding back in the slim hope of a UK blu-ray release uncut.
I doubt you'll ever get a Minder Blu Ray release here. Network already tried series 1 of The Sweeney, and it flopped badly. 16mm film doesn't really lend itself well to BR, and The Sweeney allegedly just didn't sell.