Tony Scott (Top Gun, Unstoppable and much more...) passed away (possible suicide...)

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
Oh my.... :(
Very shocking and sad news this morning: director Tony Scott has died at age 68; according to the LAPD, he jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach, CA
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni34484776/
R.I.P

and from FS.net
This is very sad new, the worst kind that we absolutely hate to report. According to reports from Southern California news stations, British film director Tony Scott, brother of the older Ridley Scott, has died. The reports state that Tony Scott "jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island" on Sunday afternoon. He left a suicide note in his Prius parked nearby, but other than that, details have not been released beyond confirmation from the Los Angeles County coroner. Tony Scott was a talented, acclaimed, admired, respected filmmaker having directed 16 features in his time.

From Top Gun to Beverly Hills Cop II to Days of Thunder to The Last Boy Scout to True Romance to Crimson Tide to Enemy of the State to Man on Fire to Déjà Vu to Taking of Pelham 123 to Unstoppable, Tony Scott leaves legacy of unforgettable films. Even at age 68, he was still working on quite a few other projects. Our most recent updates had him involved on Top Gun 2 with Tom Cruise, plus a submarine thriller called Narco Sub, even The Wild Bunch remake at Warner Bros. Everything will definitely change in regards to these projects, in light of this tragic and shocking news, and we'll monitor them closely from here.

The report on his death comes mainly from The Daily Breeze (via The Wrap), where they say that "Scott, 68, climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off 'without hesitation' around 12:30 p.m." on Sunday, August 19th, 2012. The Vincent Thomas Bridge is a suspension bridge over the Los Angeles Harbor that links San Pedro with Terminal Island. In addition to information about a suicide note being left in his car parked on the bridge, no other specific details are currently known about why this happened, why this bridge, or what was going on. Until we know more, follow KTLA or Daily Breeze for additional updates.

Tony Scott not only leaves behind a remarkable "high octane" body of work, it was our hope and expectation that we'd see many more great films from him in the years to come. It makes me nervous and sad to even think about reasons that a man as accomplished as Tony Scott would want to kill himself. He is survived by his wife, Donna W. Scott, and their two children. Our thoughts are with his family and his friends, and the entire filmmaker community that will be entirely shocked and devastated by this news. Scott, who will not only be remembered by his many movies, will also be remembered by the red baseball cap he always wore.

There are few days where I almost can't believe what I'm writing. Today is one of those days. It's the worst to have to report on something so shocking and tragic as this. "I make a movie because it's something that inspires me." [-Scott] May your movies continue to entertain and inspire audiences forever. Rest in peace.

This is sooo sad! :(
I dunno what Denzel will do without him...

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtyoak
I don't know what kind of person Tony Scott was but I'm sure he was well respected man. I do know this, he was a great Director and directed some very exceptional movies. It is saddening to hear this and my sympathies go out to his family. Let grateful memories survive in a time of sorrow. You will be missed Mr. Scott.