Top 10 PS3 Games of 2009: What the List Will Be

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
A video game system’s year is judged by two things: console sales, and game releases. In order to have a successful year, a system must have prodcution from both categories. While it certainly looks like Sony’s PS3 sales are spiking, much thanks to the price cut and release of the PS3 ‘Slim’, how did the games fare? Which games have stolen or will steal the spotlight for the 2009 year? While there certainly is more of the year to come, we are gonna just go ahead and make a top 10 games list for 2009 for the PS3 right now; I mean, we pretty much know which of the games yet to be released this year will dominate our lives. So here is a top 10 list of games that have already come out, and some that have yet to come out, and how they rank against each other. When its all said and done, I think we are going to have a pretty good lineup:

#10 Assassin’s Creed II: Release Date: 11/17/09

While the first game wasn’t perfect, it was good enough to get a big number of people excited about the sequel. The graphics are looking great already for this multiplatform title, and it really looks like Ubisoft took time to greatly improve the flaws of the first one. Expect great fighting mechanics, a ton of varitey with weapons and missions, and a new protaganist named Ezio. For those of you who played the first, I’m sure you are drooling to be the bad-ass assassin again, and for those of you who missed out on the first game, nows your chance to pick up what will basically be a sure-thing of a great game.

#9 Resident Evil 5: Release Date: 3/13/09

Some die-hard RE fans were pretty disappointed with where Capcom took this next-gen version of the series, but almost everyone has to admit that this game was just hands down fun to play. Sure, it may be more of an action game than a survival-horror, but who cares what genre it falls into when you are tearing through hoards of zombie armies. The story was great, graphics were top notch, and the Co-op was just what the doctor ordered. The game came out early in the year, so don’t be surprised to see it get looked over when dishing out yearly awards (since as you will see, this list is pretty heavy for late-relased games), but those who played the game know that RE5 is one of the best games released in 09.

#8 Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time: Release Date: 10/27/09

One of Sony’s marquee platformer series, Ratchet and Clank hit the shelves in late October of this year, and trust me on this one, this game promises to be a doozy. While Sony gamers have already had a chance to play two R&C games (Futures on PS3 and Size Matters on PSP), we can always use more of the Lombax and robot side-kick. Look for this game to be packed full of innovative platforming, coupled with crisp graphics and the always amuzing barrage of weapons at your dispense.

#7 Madden 10: Release Date: 8/14/09

There’s a reason ‘Madden Day’ is on the doorstep of becoming a national holliday. Every year, millions of avid football fans can’t wait to get their hands on the newest addition to the Madden franchise. Its the biggest staple for video game releases, and brings in huge amounts of sales across all platforms. Not only that, this game is actually better than all the predecesors (well, at least of this generation). Not much else needs to be said of this game, as the franchise title speaks for itself.

#6 inFamous: Release Date: 05/26/09

Its always a treat when a new title has tons of success, and inFamous was just such a title. A similar multi-platform game was released around the same time, but PS3 gamers know that they got the better of the two. InFamous was a fresh twist to action gaming in a great sand-box style game. You not only got to be Cole, the protagonist with kick-ass electrical powers, but you also got to choose how you dished out your powers. The dichotomy of good and evil was present in every facet of the game, and made a second or third play through par for the course. Count this one as one of the best single player games of the year.

#5 Batman: Arkham Asylum: Release Date: 08/25/09

Did someone just say ‘best single player games of the year’? Oh, that’s right, I did. Well, here’s another one. There was a lot of hype surrounding this game as the 2009 year progressed, but the amazing thing is that the hype only increased after this game was released. This game pulled in accolades as “Best game of 2009 so far.” It is hands down the best comic-based single player game ever made. The graphics are phenomenal, the story is fresh, voice acting is unreal, and the gameplay is ridiculously sweet. Not only that, but it boasts one of the best action-fighting mechanics I have ever experienced. You truly get the full Batman experience in this Dark Knight thriller. If you miss this one, then you should be ashamed.

#4 Gran Turismo 5: Release Date: TBA Q4 2009

I know what you are thinking: We don’t even know if this game will be released this year. Well, all the signs point to a late 2009 release date, and its good enough for me to consider the game for this list. If I’m wrong, then just take it off and have a list of 9. But if I’m right, and this game comes out this year, it will certainly be one of the year’s best. With a car list that would make Jay Leno’s head explode, and graphics that make even a non-gamer do a double take, GT5 will be without a doubt the best racing simulator to ever be released.

#3 Killzone 2: Release Date: 2/27/09

It was the game that had all PS3 fans talking for months. It was to be the best looking, best playing, best on-line play FPS to ever be created. Whether or not it was is up to each individual, but everyone can agree that this is the PS3’s best exclusive shooter to be released yet. The graphics blew people away, and the on-line modes kept people playing. Some people complained about some of the moving mechanics, but that’s just cause they were too baby to handle it. On top of being one of the best FPS of all time, the developers showed tons of support for the game through multiple DLC releases. All-in-all, Killzone 2 was the best game from the first half of the year, and will be remembered as one of the best games ever for the PS3.

#2 Uncharted 2: Among Theives: Release Date: 10/13/09

If you haven’t seen gameplay footage of this one, then stop whatever you are doing and see it, NOW. I have never seen a more beautiful thing in video games than what I witnessed in the short minutes of footage released thus far. The game is flat out GORGEOUS. It will blow everything ever made out of the water. Oh, and in case you haven’t played the first one, the gameplay is top notch as well. With an all new cover system paired with the great action fighting mechanics seen in the first game, this game will prove to have the hands down best single player experience of the year. Oh, and did you know the game will also have online multiplayer, of which is new to the now growing series? You can count on this game raking in the awards for 2009, and you can count on it as being an unforgettable experience that will set new standards for next-gen games.

#1 Modern Warfare 2: Release Date: 11/10/09

The first game set the bar for FPS. The first game had over 10 million users across all platforms who logged hundreds of millions on online game play. The first game had the best online experience of any game ever. The second game will be better, much better. Talk about a tall order, but bring it to the bank that it will happen. Everything about this game is going to be huge. The online play will be bigger, the campaign mode will be longer, there will be co-op, even the freaking collectors edition is better than anything we’ve seen (hello, NVGS!!!!!). This game is going to be so good it shouldn’t even be considered in a category with the others in the list (except maybe Uncharted 2). Yes, it will be that good. Yes, believe the hype. Yes, pre-order this game now. The only reason you shouldn’t play any of the other games on this list is because you are too busy playing this game every free moment you have. The FPS bar will be set again by Activision, and it may be set high enough that no game in this generation will ever come close to touching it.

So there you have it folks. This is what the list will probably look like at the end of the year. While the PS3 saw a couple big name titles get delayed till 2010, the list above certainly has enough bang to rank 2009 as one of the best for PS3 games. As long as the Slim keeps pulling in the sales, 2009 will be the PlayStation 3’s biggest year to date.

http://projectgamers.com/2009/09/14/top-10-ps3-games-of-2009-what-the-list-will-be/

I'm looking forward to Uncharted 2 MUCH more than Modern Warfare.

i think i am too, but i will for sure play MW2 more. the online for U2 will be good, but i don't think ill be playing it that much. which is why i put MW2 in front of it.

U2 looks like it could be the best exclusive game of this generation. i could see it stealing the title from MGS4.

RFG > RE + others
Wolverine > RE

whatev you homer :p