Tron: Ares - In theaters TBA

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Tron 3

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Adventure

Director: Garth Davis

Cast: Jared Leto

Plot: The third installment of Disney's 'Tron' franchise, set to be a soft-reboot starring Jared Leto as the main protagonist.

Attachments

• Tron%2BLegacy%2BSequel.jpg
    Tron%2BLegacy%2BSequel.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 345
Collider just hosted a special IMAX screening of Legacy with director Joseph Kosinski in attendance, and the filmmaker gave away some TRON 3 story ideas he had before the studio took it off the grid.

“The movie was called, ‘TRON: Ascension,’ I think that’s out there,” Kosinski confirmed. “I think we got the script to about 80%. We were in good shape. We were probably eight or nine months out, which is still a good amount of distance from being ready to shoot it, but I think the script was in good shape. What I’m excited about is the concept, which is an invasion movie from inside the machine coming out as opposed to one we’ve usually seen. So we hinted at that at the end of Legacy with Quorra coming out, but the idea for Ascension was a movie that was, the first act was in the real world, the second act was in the world of TRON, or multiple worlds of TRON, and the third act was totally in the real world. And I think that really opens up, blows open the concept of TRON in a way that would be thrilling to see on screen. But there’s also a really interesting character study in Quorra and a ‘Stranger in a Strange Land,’ trying to figure out where she belongs having lived in the real world for a few years, and where does she fit in.”

Kosinski also confirmed the logistical and financial considerations Disney made when it pulled the plug, while still leaving the door open to revive the project.

“I guess I can say that ‘TRON 3’ is in cryogenic freeze,” explained Kosinski. “So, it’s there. It’s not dead. It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward. I mean, you have to remember that when we made ‘TRON: Legacy,’ Disney did not own Marvel. Disney did not own Lucasfilm…they own everything now. But this was before they owned everything, so from the studio point of view, they have a certain number of slots and a certain amount of money to make movies and if you can make a Star Wars spinoff or another Marvel movie, which are all doing incredibly well, a TRON movie, even though I think it would do very well, the question is: Would it do as well as one of those? That is more the reason we haven’t seen another TRON is that Disney stock is flushed with really successful properties right now. But that doesn’t mean we won’t see one at one point.”

Both Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde were set to reprise their respective roles as Sam Flynn and Quorra in TRON: Ascension, with TRON: Legacy helmer Joseph Kosinski back at the helm. Original cast member Bruce Boxleitner was also set to come back in his dual role as Alan Bradley/Tron, although he has since soured on the idea. Cillian Murphy was rumored to return in a larger role from his cameo as Edward Dillinger, Jr.

Collider just hosted a special IMAX screening of Legacy with director Joseph Kosinski in attendance, and the filmmaker gave away some TRON 3 story ideas he had before the studio took it off the grid.

“The movie was called, ‘TRON: Ascension,’ I think that’s out there,” Kosinski confirmed. “I think we got the script to about 80%. We were in good shape. We were probably eight or nine months out, which is still a good amount of distance from being ready to shoot it, but I think the script was in good shape. What I’m excited about is the concept, which is an invasion movie from inside the machine coming out as opposed to one we’ve usually seen. So we hinted at that at the end of Legacy with Quorra coming out, but the idea for Ascension was a movie that was, the first act was in the real world, the second act was in the world of TRON, or multiple worlds of TRON, and the third act was totally in the real world. And I think that really opens up, blows open the concept of TRON in a way that would be thrilling to see on screen. But there’s also a really interesting character study in Quorra and a ‘Stranger in a Strange Land,’ trying to figure out where she belongs having lived in the real world for a few years, and where does she fit in.”

Kosinski also confirmed the logistical and financial considerations Disney made when it pulled the plug, while still leaving the door open to revive the project.

“I guess I can say that ‘TRON 3’ is in cryogenic freeze,” explained Kosinski. “So, it’s there. It’s not dead. It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward. I mean, you have to remember that when we made ‘TRON: Legacy,’ Disney did not own Marvel. Disney did not own Lucasfilm…they own everything now. But this was before they owned everything, so from the studio point of view, they have a certain number of slots and a certain amount of money to make movies and if you can make a Star Wars spinoff or another Marvel movie, which are all doing incredibly well, a TRON movie, even though I think it would do very well, the question is: Would it do as well as one of those? That is more the reason we haven’t seen another TRON is that Disney stock is flushed with really successful properties right now. But that doesn’t mean we won’t see one at one point.”

Both Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde were set to reprise their respective roles as Sam Flynn and Quorra in TRON: Ascension, with TRON: Legacy helmer Joseph Kosinski back at the helm. Original cast member Bruce Boxleitner was also set to come back in his dual role as Alan Bradley/Tron, although he has since soured on the idea. Cillian Murphy was rumored to return in a larger role from his cameo as Edward Dillinger, Jr.
giphy.gif

:woot: I hope so! :notworthy:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
@bloodsnake007 I hope so too... Sadly Marvel and Star Wars films are making SO MUCH MONEY... why would they take a chance on TRON again?

All disney is making right now (for live action) is 1 star wars film every year, a couple marvel titles and remakes of their animated movies.
Its not a bad thing, as i LOVE almost everything they put out... but I like it when they take chances and do something original.

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
MAYBE NOT CANCELED AFTERALL!!!

looks like Disney is still very much in the TRON business. THR reports that the studio is looking to reboot the franchise as a starring vehicle for Jared Leto. Leto is circling the project, and if he signs on, he would also produce alongside producing partner Emma Ludbrook as well as TRON: Legacy co-producer Justin Springer.

No screenwriter or director is currently involved, but Disney plans to use the script for TRON: Ascension as a starting point. Per THR, “Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.” It’s unknown of Kosinski or any actors from TRON: Legacy would return for the reboot.

It’s important to keep in mind that while TRON: Legacy struggled to be the worldwide phenomenon Disney wanted, it’s still a valuable IP for them. They also own it entirely, which means they don’t have to split profits like they do for something like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It seems like the studio believes that if they can just crack the story, people will come rushing into the film’s digital world.

While I think this is great news. I also think it would be dumb to scrap everything that they built so far.
I'm ok with going with a new lead character. But I want Sam and Quorra back too. Maybe do Ares for a film, and then in the next film have him meet up with them? i dunno... But I liked the idea of where they were heading.

Also they MUST bring Krosinki back. MUST MUST MUST. What he did with Legacy was amazing. Just give him a better script and we'll be good.

MAYBE NOT CANCELED AFTERALL!!!

looks like Disney is still very much in the TRON business. THR reports that the studio is looking to reboot the franchise as a starring vehicle for Jared Leto. Leto is circling the project, and if he signs on, he would also produce alongside producing partner Emma Ludbrook as well as TRON: Legacy co-producer Justin Springer.

No screenwriter or director is currently involved, but Disney plans to use the script for TRON: Ascension as a starting point. Per THR, “Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.” It’s unknown of Kosinski or any actors from TRON: Legacy would return for the reboot.

It’s important to keep in mind that while TRON: Legacy struggled to be the worldwide phenomenon Disney wanted, it’s still a valuable IP for them. They also own it entirely, which means they don’t have to split profits like they do for something like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It seems like the studio believes that if they can just crack the story, people will come rushing into the film’s digital world.

While I think this is great news. I also think it would be dumb to scrap everything that they built so far.
I'm ok with going with a new lead character. But I want Sam and Quorra back too. Maybe do Ares for a film, and then in the next film have him meet up with them? i dunno... But I liked the idea of where they were heading.

Also they MUST bring Krosinki back. MUST MUST MUST. What he did with Legacy was amazing. Just give him a better script and we'll be good.
Ugh! I have no interest in a reboot, especially one starring Leto, who I've gone off massively since Suicide Squad. They'd be idiots to scrap Ascension and start all over again without Sam & Quorra, as Legacy was the perfect reboot if you ask me, and it's the only reason I was even interested in a sequel to begin with... I'm sure the same goes for many other people too.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Ugh! I have no interest in a reboot, especially one starring Leto, who I've gone off massively since Suicide Squad. They'd be idiots to scrap Ascension and start all over again without Sam & Quorra, as Legacy was the perfect reboot if you ask me, and it's the only reason I was even interested in a sequel to begin with... I'm sure the same goes for many other people too.
Replace Olivia Wilde's Quora???? WHAAAAAAAAAAT???
post-28942-Oliva-Wilde-Quorra-couch-gif-T-1Tcs.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I'm pumped that this is finally happening... but also very sad Krosinki isn't returning to direct.
Same. Sounds like it'll be more of a reboot rather than a direct sequel... not sure how I feel about that.

TRON: Ares, has been quiet as of late; however, The DisInsider gathered some information that leads us to believe that the film could be gearing up to start production in early 2022.

Attachments

• 077172D4-90D9-436F-BBE1-49B3BAC4D03D.jpeg
    077172D4-90D9-436F-BBE1-49B3BAC4D03D.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 77
  • 2CAA5256-0CFB-43C2-80E6-F2B74E7511D4.jpeg
    2CAA5256-0CFB-43C2-80E6-F2B74E7511D4.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: RedFridge007