Ubisoft gearing up for next generation of consoles

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yves Guillemot, CEO of French publishing giant Ubisoft, has revealed that his company is in the process of racking up a steady headcount in preparation for the next iteration of gaming platforms.

Speaking with GI.biz, Guillemot acknowledged there’s a certain element of risk when putting such an investment forward, though insisted that the firm ‘get ready’ for next-gen.

"What we've seen is that there are still lots of opportunities in this industry, and we have to get ready for the next generation of consoles," he stated. "I know each time I say that, everybody says that we don't know when they will come... but what we've seen is that when you don't actually have enough creators to make the games when the new consoles start, you can't take the time or have enough energy to use the capacity of those consoles.”

"So the goal is really to try to be there with a good team that's capable of using all the potential of those new consoles."

In strike contrast to other companies, Ubisoft has greatly expanded its work force over the past year or so, with ‘super-studios’ in Singapore and Toronto, the latter of which accommodates up to 700 people.

"For sure, it's a risk," Guillemot continued. "What I've seen all the way in this industry is that without risk you have less success. You have to take risk to have a chance to succeed.

"I believe that this industry will continue to grow fast, and that it will be a very large industry. I think it interactive entertainment will grow in picking up the businesses that are around, like the movie industry did a long time ago.”

As a result of such rapid growth, Guillemot believes this to be the optimum time to expand Ubisoft’s efforts and focus on making better games and building upon existing IP: "That's why we believe it's time to invest, because it's the right time to continue to expand the brands we're creating, and to make better games. Because we wanted to come here this year with another level of quality.”

"On some products last year we were not as happy as we wanted, so this time we've been investing more to make sure that everybody will be happy with the games that we launch,” he concluded.