UK Graders, Opinion?!

Where do you stand with the grading of collectibles/video games?

• I definitely support the practice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither here or there with it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I do it only for preserving my personal collection and not really care about the grading.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I definitely do not support this practice.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thoth

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
United Kingdom
Hey! Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the grading system for collectibles and video games?
I see quite more often nowadays people send their stuff off to get it graded and sealed in an acrylic box by UK Graders or other companies.

For those who are not aware, the grading practice is when you send your sealed collectible off to these companies who seal it in a box and give it a grade to confirm it's authenticity/quality and preserve/increase it's value.

For some reason I don't seem to dig this practice yet and I feel like it's a waste of money/scam.
I've also read a story and watched this YouTuber who sent same item to have it graded and it got graded differently on both occasions :facepalm:

Thoughts?

I also don't know if I posted this in the wrong part of the forums so if you think it will get more attention somewhere else feel free to move it.

Reactions: hatredhorror
I've never bothered with anything like this.

When I was really into comics I used to just put my valuable ones in their own hard case that used to cost me a couple of quid nowhere near the cost of what these companies charge and TBH I think the whole grading thing is shoddy.

One person might grade my item to a level and then someone else to something different.

The things that I have now, again would never bother with it, If I want a case for it then there are plenty of places around to just pick up my own :D I couldn't really care less what an item I own grades :thumbs: and I certainly ain't going to pay someone £££ for the privilege of finding out :D:whistle:

I personally think its a gimmick that they know collectors will pay through the nose for just to see what their item grades :wow::cautious:

Reactions: Thoth
Yeah, am in same boat.
I understand if people want to protect their items and decide to put them in another box, I do the same with some of them.

But paying to have it graded is just another thing, especially for sealed items. A sealed item is a sealed item, shouldn't need someone to grade it to confirm it's value xD

Reactions: Robles
Well I will tell you my experience. Sold one of my factory sealed games to someone. They were desperate for a discount , even though my game was already cheapest, they wanted more money off. Declined their offer, they declined my counter etc etc. I gave in and gave them a discount I knew wasn't warranted....Few weeks later, it was UKG graded and they have been trying to sell it for several hundred £ profit the past year along with many other listings so obvious a little business venture of theirs. Me being silly, didn't even check their account to see these similar items for sale, doing this for years, and they have no shame using their selling account for playing buyers and then trying to resell at crazy profit by having it put in a plastic case. It was graded a 'near mint' , no way, I owned the game and it was no where near mint, good bit of shelf wear and few nicks in cellophane. Maybe behind the plastic casing it will look nicer, its a total sham, the only reason it exists is for profiteers to try make profit. They buy up all the competition, pay £30 to get graded then slap on fake high prices until some fool bites. Hoochi comics if you're wondering.

Reactions: hatredhorror