[UK] Ultraviolet HD playback

MrBMT

Steelbook Collector
Premium Supporter
May 22, 2014
UK
For some reason, I've never been able to play Ultraviolet content in HD on my PC before now - it's only ever given me the option to play in SD despite having redeemed HD UV copies (apparently this might be due to having a dual monitor setup).

I noticed when redeeming my Lucy UV code today that there's now another redemption option - blinkbox.com and thought I'd give it a try.

Created an account, linked my UV account, redeemed the code and hey presto, suddenly all my UV content is available to watch or download in HD on my PC.
Definitely worth giving it a try, the HD download versions are reasonable quality WMVs that play in Windows Media Player, so no additional software required.

Figured I'd mention it in case anyone else was in the same situation and hadn't worked out a solution.

Will also let you download the HD uv to your iOS device if you have the blink box app. Flixter didn't allow you to do that in HD
Interesting, the one time I tried Flixster on my iPad it locked up/didn't play completed downloads, so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Flixster
I've been on UV for about 3-4 months now I think and have noticed that only Warner Bros titles would play in HD on my PC when using Flixster. I was never successful with streaming any non-Warner titles and so I submitted a help ticket. They ran through all sorts of troubleshooting options and after a week or so they said they would look into it and that I should download the non-streaming movies for the time-being. After several more weeks I thought I would update the help request and they still said they are looking into it. I did try streaming on my tablet (Nook HD) and one or two movies I tried worked in HD whereas others either did not work or was in SD.
However, about a month or so ago, I noticed some changes to the Flixster site and tried some other titles [on PC]. It is random and seems some non-Warner titles can now be streamed - but in SD only.
Nevertheless, it seems the performance can be hit and miss and I have encountered choppy streaming on occasions.
Also not enough devices support Flixster in the UK.

Blinkbox
I have been on Blinkbox around November I think which was shortly after they joined the UV stables. I have found this is the most stable provider of streaming UV movies so far for the UK. HD titles stream smoothly and decent quality although only at 720p (they don't have plans for 1080p (the only provider I know is Vudu in the US with their HDX option).
The only things with Blinkbox are that they don't provide subtitling which would be a nice option as I have a slight loss of hearing. Also, not all UV titles are available for viewing as they don't have agreements with about half of the UV companies, these include BBC titles and Lionsgate, etc. They do mention they are working on this though and with Talktalk buying them out, I hope it can improve further.
Also having used their support, they have been pretty quick with getting back.

CinemaNow and Sainsburys
They are both the newest members to the UK UV market and use the same user interface/engine. I have found their library of UV titles are slim although some missing titles from Blinkbox are available via here. However my one and only experience was not good as the film I was watching kept switching aspect ratios intermittently and spoilt the movie. I queried them about the limited support for UV titles and the customer rep mentioned it should improve in the future. I guess they are new to the UK so will give them time, although CinemaNow is big in the US/Can from what I understand.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: MrBMT