Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Elvis (2022)

Genre: Drama, Music

Director: Baz Luhrmann

Cast: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, Olivia DeJonge, Dacre Montgomery, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Richard Roxburgh, Helen Thomson, Yola, David Wenham, Luke Bracey, Alex Radu, Alton Mason, Xavier Samuel

Release: 2022-06-24

Plot: A biopic about Elvis Presley, with focus on his early years.

Damn. I thought this was an announcement that Elvis finally made a new movie. I was hoping for maybe some new songs from him for the soundtrack as well.

Reactions: Billy Talent
Took two evenings to watch it, splitting into two shorter 1 hour 20 minute films.
They are pretty distinct two parts, but both are weighed down by irritating and unnecessary focus on Elvis' manager, as if the story is told from his point of view. Didn't like that at all. It's also a bit superficial, doesn't delve too much into family or business affairs, which I always wish for in a biopic. But it isn't one. Strangely enough, it isn't much of a musical either. There seem to always be one tune or another playing or a song being performed, but only short bits and pieces, basically not a single one complete musical number, like there were in Moulin Rouge or The Great Gatsby.
So after two and a half hours I was left touched, but unimpressed, and wanting more.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database