Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Untitled Superman Reboot
Plot: Plot to be announced.

Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write New Superman Movie for Warner Bros.​

J.J. Abrams is producing the feature, which, according to sources, is being set up as a Black Superman story.

Acclaimed essayist and novelist Ta-Nehisi Coates has been hired to pen the script for a feature reboot of Superman that will be produced by J.J. Abrams.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” said Coates in a statement to Shadow and Act, a website dedicated to the African diaspora in the arts. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America's most iconic mythic hero."

“There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity,” said J.J. Abrams in the statement to S&A.

According to sources, the project is being set up as a Black Superman story. This is something that the studio has been trying to wrap its head around for months, if not a year or two. Michael B. Jordan tried to develop a Black Superman project when he first arrived at the studio with his deal in 2019, but that did not go very far at the time, according to sources. It is possible that the studio could return to him to star down the line.

Coates is a superstar author whose books include We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy, The Beautiful Struggle, The Water Dancerand Between the World and Me, the latter of which was adapted by HBO. In the comic book space, he has worked on Captain America and Black Panther, with Disney’s Bob Iger crediting his influential run on the latter in the decision to greenlight the groundbreaking film starring Chadwick Boseman.

Superman first flew onto the big screen with filmmaker Richard Donner’s 1978 film Superman: The Motion Picture, which starred Christopher Reeve. The actor appeared in three subsequent films, with Brandon Routh donning the cape for 2006's Superman Returns and Henry Cavill stepping into the role for 2013's Man of Steel, 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and 2017's Justice League.

This is the first DC feature known to be in development under Abrams' expansive WarnerMedia deal, but he has several DC series in the works for streaming service HBO Max, including Justice League Dark and Constantine.

via The Hollywood Reporter

I was unaware there was a black Superman. Just found out there were 2! My DC horizons just keep on expanding, man. It's beautiful. It's love.

I was coming in to answer your question and saw you found out on your own. :p

Indeed:

- Kalel aka Calvin Ellis

- Val-Zod

DCEU the second coming needs to be just DC standalones initially.

Although I have loved Cavill's Superman, the DCEU as a whole hasn't worked well.
They tried. They rushed. They failed (not all). Move on.

Joker is a masterpiece. The Batman is looking pretty cool but very early days.
Now Superman again.

Lets establish each individual hero, give them sequels, and then start thinking about linking them together where it makes sense. Either that or keep each film standalone.

Just see this news on twitter. For Christ sake!
I’m not a massive Cavill fan but I love him as superman. Just give the f**king guy a sequel!
Personally It should of happened before justice league

Yeah I'm not happy with this either, just further proof that there's no plan over at Warner for D.C. and everything is just thought up on the back of a *** packet.

Regardless of how good Phoenix's Joker was and Pattinson's Batman may be I'd of much rather they tried to right the wrongs of the DCEU and try and steer that ship back on course especially when they're still continuing with some of the characters (Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman). Not talking about myself but that's just going to confuse casual audiences when they watch the next Aquaman film for example remembering he comes from that Justice League universe of films with Affleck as Batman and yet a couple of months before that they've seen Pattinson playing an all new Batman in a film not linked to that universe at all :cautious:

Individually all the films might be great but bigger picture it just looks a mess with no clear direction

Damn... nothing against trying something else... but FIRST... let's give a proper Man of Steel sequel with Cavill in great Superman colors and then move on if it doesn't work... MOS is really a great movie. Far from the best, but a lot of potential that never got to be tested as it was always from Snyder... let,s try another director with the same cast and see how great it can!

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database