Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Violent Night (2022)

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Tommy Wirkola

Cast: David Harbour

Release: 2022-11-30

Plot: A coal-dark holiday thriller that says you should always bet on red.

Sieppaa.JPG

Reactions: Billy Talent
Proper enjoyed this.

Fun, funny, charming, very Christmassy and absolutely violent. David Harbour was awesome and he looks incredible too. Very iconic look with the messy bloody white hair and the man bun too. Instantly one of my favourite Santa’s and it’s 100% in with my favourite Christmas film lists with the likes of home alone, nightmare before Christmas and bad Santa.

Fingers crossed we get a steel for it in time for next year!

Felt like this had David Leitch written all over it, then I saw he's one of the producers... makes sense!
Yeah some of the action is exactly like his style. Was thinking it whilst watching it

A very fun and relatively violent movie (because camera shies away from some murders, and most of the blood is ridiculous CGI), that on one hand doesn't really know whether it's serious, or a comedy, on the other, maybe just isn't taking itself seriously. Bad casting throughout undermines David Harbour, his character, and pretty good fights from the 'John Wick' team company, 87North that also produced Nobody, Kate and Bullet Train, as well as a good Norwegian director, responsible for one of my favorite movies, Seven Sisters (What Happened to Monday), as well as Dead Snow (zombie Nazi's) and Hansel and Gretel.
Good to see John Leguizamo getting work, but he doesn't fit such an entirely evil character, he plays better the 'troubled past' ones, or good-bad characters, so they should've redeemed him in the end by not fighting Santa, once he realized he was real.
Practically the entire rest of the cast, save for Beverly D'Angelo, who only gets to growl a few times, is very bad, especially the father of the family - he looks retarded, or like a sick serial killer, or a tortured prisoner.
Also the screenplay is kind of derivative, manages to 'borrow' from both first Die Hard movies a lot. Maybe that was intentional, I don't know, but it's very predictable.
Still liked it, and there's even a nice, truly bloody and murderous 'Home Alone' traps sequence. Actually that's how Home Alone movies would go in real life. They'd be over in 5 minutes with just those 2 poor schmucks.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database