Viva Metal Box is no more

Pieter V

Rise!
Premium Supporter
Oct 3, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks to Andy for first reporting this news in the Best Buy thread.

An excerpt from the summary decision issued Nov 26 2012:

The Court permanently RESTRAINS AND ENJOINS Defendants Viva Magnetics Ltd. (Hong Kong), Viva USA, Inc., Viva Media Packaging (Canada) Ltd., Viva Metal Packaging Ltd. and Viva Media Packaging Ltd. (collectively, “Viva defendants”), their duly authorized agents, servants, employees, and all others in active concert or participation with the Viva defendants from (a) infringing the following United States patents of plaintiff Glud & Marstrand A/S (“G&M”): 7,051,872; 7,232,032; 7,350,642; and D562,049, and (b) making, using, offering to sell, selling and/or importing (i) the Viva Metal Box for Blu-Ray and DVD products accused of infringement in this action, and/or (ii) the Digital Versatile Disk (DVD) case accused of infringement in the 2005 action between G&M and some of the Viva defendant

Here is the original suit filed by G&M (steelbook) in District Court in Washington state:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/85682389/Glud-Marstrand-A-S-v-Viva-Magnetics-Ltd-Hong-Kong-et-al

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn shame. So sad :( I liked Viva's way more then steelbooks personally regardless of how anyone else feels about that topic. They always had kick ass artwork with premium finishing and embossing. And they were always "complete" releases with clean back, inside and front art without useless quotes and text riddled all over them.

Too bad, just too bad.

I don't own any Vivas, but that's not to say that I don't want to. Sad news for people who collected them and preferred them over Steelbooks, and it's a shame that so many people will be losing their jobs.

Reactions: Jason Bourne
VMBs are my fav. The embossing, grand visuals, minimal text, weight and 4-5 discs in them...so I feel like I get my money's worth.

Last edited:
This shows the bigger you are, the stronger you are. (As a bullies)
In current century, a patent really works ? For science and technologies maybe, DVD case ? duh..

This is sad story indeed, I like VMB cos' they dared to use vibrant colors and great artwork as well.

Reactions: MK50 and dirtyoak
MetalPak is alive and well so I wouldnt say that that there is a "monopoly" if you violate patents then ultimately you go down ... Perhaps now we will see the return of their "steelcases" aka "metal slip sleeves"

Reactions: bd251