VLC for Windows 10

Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Via WinBeta

VLC for Windows 10 gets a new name, hundreds of bugfixes, and cool new features.
Screenshot-38_r1_c1.jpg

VLC for Windows has been updated for Windows 10, now featuring a new name. Having previously been called VLC for Windows 8, the app is now referred to as VLC for Windows Store.

"It’s been a long time since we updated the VLC app on the Windows Store. Last update was released on May, 19th, and April 23rd on Windows Phone. Today, we’re releasing an update on VLC for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. It has been optimized to run flawlessly on Windows 10. This new version brings tons of changes and bugfixes," app developer Thomas Nigro stated in an official blog post.

So what's new in this major update? First of all, the user interface has received a major overhaul to match the new Windows 10 style. The app is supposed to run faster on lower-end devices like the Surface RT and Lumia 520/620. There are new animations and a beta version of the Win2D component. The app also features improvements to the music library, video library, search, and more.

The update also introduces a mini-player, which works amazing on Windows 10. You can head over here to read the full blog post and download the app update from the link below. The update for Windows 10 Mobile will arrive at the end of next week, according to Nigro, so grab the update for your desktop in the mean time.
screen3_r1_c1.jpg

largeVLC.png

My first thought was hey cool, a nicer user interface...
...but that's pretty much all this is. A nicer user interface to play audio and video files already on your hard drives and stream some formats.

Compared to the original VLC application it's missing a load of the functionality e.g. it doesn't play DVDs, CDs, have plug-in support etc. (nevermind play commercial Blu-rays when used in conjunction with MakeMKV's decryption features on Windows/Mac/Linux like the original VLC application) so, I removed it almost as quickly as I installed it.

Stick with the original application, it's much more useful :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Crusader
Thanks @MrBMT I'll make sure not to waste my time with this then. I was going to install it this evening when I got home from work but I changed my mind now. I much prefer how WMPC work than VLC anyways. I've had some video files have video corruption or tearing in VLC while they played just fine on WMPC. To play Blu-ray menus and special features and stuff I have to use my PowerDVD. I rarely do though, I mostly use Handbrake and transcode the video into an MKV file and then throw it up on my Drobo and then use Kodi (formely XBMC) to watch it.

Thanks @MrBMT I'll make sure not to waste my time with this then. I was going to install it this evening when I got home from work but I changed my mind now. I much prefer how WMPC work than VLC anyways. I've had some video files have video corruption or tearing in VLC while they played just fine on WMPC. To play Blu-ray menus and special features and stuff I have to use my PowerDVD. I rarely do though, I mostly use Handbrake and transcode the video into an MKV file and then throw it up on my Drobo and then use Kodi (formely XBMC) to watch it.
No problem, personally most of the time I use PotPlayer to play any video files (e.g. MKV etc.) on my PC as I much prefer the UI and it plays pretty much anything. Any region B blu-rays I tend to play via PowerDVD and any other region blu-rays I play via VLC (MakeMKV's libmmbd can be used as libaacs & libbdplus for VLC on Windows/Mac/Linux to play commercial blu-rays from any region).

Reactions: Lone Crusader