What are your good "bad" games?

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
There are some games out there that did not get great review scores that I happen to enjoy or have enjoyed quite a bit. I'm sure there are some games like that for all of you as well.

Now, you can tell the world how you feel. Below, list the "bad" game you think is good, and explain why.

Here's mine:

SOCOM: Confrontation

So this one isn't really fair, since there were an insane amount of server issues when the game came out. Still, this is one of my favorite online shooters for the PS3 and a game I still play a lot today.

Lair

Like with SOCOM, the version of this game today has been patched. Originally the game came out and you were forced to use controls that just weren't very easy to use. But I have played the games with both controls, and even with motion-control only this game is pretty fun. Still not the system seller im sure Sony wanted it to be, but well worth the $20 i paid.

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

The game got ripped apart cause its a movie game, and a kids game. But I thought it was reasonably fun. Its a simple platform game with a reasonable amount of variety to it. It won't take you too long to beat, but it will be fun while you play it

Half Life 2
Lair
Unreal Tournament 3
Blitz 2
GTAIV
How can you call UT3 a game that got a negative reception? The reviewers were fond of it. As for GTA IV...now you're just talking out of your ass with that one, as that got praised left, right and center, while we were all disappointed, but hey, your call.

For me:

Lost Planet (PS3):

Well I can agree that it has some slowdown in some scenes, the overall gameplay is just fun, but my concern was the online play which was as laggy as hell. I don't think I came across a game thats more laggy.

Bionic Commando:

Now I don't have this game yet, but from where I can tell, it seems to be my type of game. I was orignally not going to pick it up due to the poor June sales, but then I relised that it sold around 500,000 copies, so there's gonna be people still playing online on it.

The Conduit:

Many reviewers complained that the story was too generic and the campaign was too short with slightly bland gameplay, but so what? Pretty much every FPS nowadays does this and gets more praise. The online is pretty fun, but I hate the voting aspect everyone either goes for the near/far weapons set or the explosives (cos 12 year old kids love blowing stuff).

How can you call UT3 a game that got a negative reception? The reviewers were fond of it. As for GTA IV...now you're just talking out of your ass with that one, as that got praised left, right and center, while we were all disappointed, but hey, your call.

For me:

Lost Planet (PS3):

Well I can agree that it has some slowdown in some scenes, the overall gameplay is just fun, but my concern was the online play which was as laggy as hell. I don't think I came across a game thats more laggy.

Bionic Commando:

Now I don't have this game yet, but from where I can tell, it seems to be my type of game. I was orignally not going to pick it up due to the poor June sales, but then I relised that it sold around 500,000 copies, so there's gonna be people still playing online on it.

The Conduit:

Many reviewers complained that the story was too generic and the campaign was too short with slightly bland gameplay, but so what? Pretty much every FPS nowadays does this and gets more praise. The online is pretty fun, but I hate the voting aspect everyone either goes for the near/far weapons set or the explosives (cos 12 year old kids love blowing stuff).

UT3, and GTAIV got good reviews but bad rep from the community of gamers....
Sorry i didn't read the post correctly... i though it was games people say are bad, but are actually quite good not reviews.. oops.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

It wasn't exactly praised, it was nicked picked left and right. Had questionable FPS drops and was buggy at first. The game was fun any fan of SW would really appreciate an alternate view of the story for sure! :scat:

SOCOM: Confrontation

So this one isn't really fair, since there were an insane amount of server issues when the game came out. Still, this is one of my favorite online shooters for the PS3 and a game I still play a lot today.

+1

SOCOM still amazes me! it offers so much more than other shooters! but they really did screw up by releasing it early with so many issues. that reminds me, when the hell is that patch coming? :confused:

+1

SOCOM still amazes me! it offers so much more than other shooters! but they really did screw up by releasing it early with so many issues. that reminds me, when the hell is that patch coming? :confused:

Never cause the Devs dont give a damn ... on another note, RFG just had another patch yesterday that fixed even the most minute things in Campaign ... if only Slant would be more like Volition.

Best "BAD" game ....

Battlefield Bad Company ....

People were still on their high COD4 horses to really enjoy this game ... people bitched about little things off the demo and so they hated it. Yet, the spike of BFBC players now since 1943 came out is hilarious to me ... They buy 1943 which is just a weak version of BFBC (no more guns or ranking up) and yet they all then get BFBC and fall in love.

Alot of the so-called haters of the game from the get-go are posting at "other" forums wondering how the hell they missed out on the game. :rolleyes:

BFBC got a lot of shalack and yet it was awesome!

Bionic Commando:

You sure? I thought this thing only sold like 24k total! Plus I heard its attrocious ... ofcourse, I have no merit but hear say.

Oh and Horhay, its "nit-picked" not "nicked picked" just saying. :p

Ive never played it, but i heard some people saying haze didn't deserve its under 5 rating or whatever it was. anyone here play the game?

Cali did .... Honestly, it wasnt that bad ... it was just TOO HYPED and released at a time that people were wanting something else besides COD4 to play ... but the game couldnt hold COD4's jockstrap ... it was different but not overly as horrible as stated ... just way too hyped ... so everyone expected greatness. (I played it, just not for long) the MP just wasnt addicting for me ... AT ALL.

But it was greatness with mod support eventually you would have almost an infinite amount of playability and game types..

It just might take awhile...

I see the unreal tournament 3 thread will need some additions..
dk3dknight flys away.