What's on your Pull Card?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
View attachment 95148 What Are You Currently Reading?

Aqua Man - New 52
Wolverine series
And different ones here and there.

Attachments

• comic2.jpeg
    comic2.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited by a moderator:
btw @tridon what did you mean about your comment on batman 50?

curious if we are thinking the same.

1, I read it and what a let down .... stupid ending. I bought a batman 51 but im wondering if its some other batman series as does not continue story from 50. Also the way batman 50 was laid out it seemed like they tried to be too creative with it both with merging of artists and how it was written. I mean it was unique ill give them that.

and 2, .... wow, way too many variants. I bought way too many and there is still a ton left out there I didnt get. (thank God,ha) .... at least with numbers like 50, 100 or some big event i can understand lots of variants, but the variants in general are overkill you'll see like 10 variants for #3, #12 etc in a comic book series. lol. for first issues i dont mind it so much.

Going forward with variants art has to super killer to make me go after or I think ill just stick to certain artists. Whats very odd is I love Alex Ross art on comic covers but never really cared as much for it on like poster/prints. Diggin' Dell'otto a lot too.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
@Wreck Variants are definitely getting out of hand this decade. I thought the 2000s were ridiculous, but it doesn’t even touch a candle to the current variant market. I think you could fill a full short box with just the Batman #50 and Action Comics #1000 variants alone. It’s nuts!

But yeah, the end of Batman #50 was incredibly disappointing for me. It was beautifully told and beautifully drawn, but that ending was not the ending that I wanted — especially since it took around 25 issues prior to build up to the moment (ultimately making those 25 issues feel useless). I haven’t read Batman #51 yet, but Catwoman #1 definitely touched upon 50’s ending.

With variants going forward, I’m just looking at whether it’s a favourite artist of mine or whether it’s just a gorgeous piece of artwork. No longer going to be a completionist when it comes to variants.

I'm loving Donny Cates lately, too. His Venom run has been crazy-good! How's Babyteeth and Über: Invasion?

Babyteeth is pretty good. It was the first Cates comic I read. AfterShock sent me PDF previews of issues 1 and 2 a little after the series debuted and I dug them enough to buy issues 3 and 4. I liked them but didn't continue with the series. Just got back into it earlier this year after being thoroughly impressed with Cates' current output. I like it, but not enough to buy it physically. It's a crazy wild ride and very close tonally to Ennis' Preacher and has similiar religious themes. I recommend at least checking out the first issue if you're at all enjoying any of his other comics.

Über: Invasion is amazing. I initially checked out the first issue of the first volume because I was really enjoying Gillen's Mercury Heat. Really wanted to dig it, but thought the art was all over the place and I had trouble keeping track of characters, so didn't continue with it. A year or so later Avatar put up a Kickstarter for the Invasion series and one of the rewards was digital copies of the entire first volume and Invasion 1 and 2 for less than a dollar per issue. I caved and don't regret it. Once I got past that first issue again I really started loving it and burned through almost 30 issues in a couple days. Enjoyed Invasion so much when that started dropping I switched to reading it physically. If you're unfamiliar with the premise it's an alternate WWII history where the Nazis created superpowered soldiers. Britain gets their hands on the techniques to create these soldiers and it becomes a race of who can build the biggest superpowered army first (then Russia, Japan and the U.S. join the party). It's narrated in documentary style like someone recounting the events of the war years later. It's been one of my favorite comics for the last couple years and I highly, highly recommend it. Just know it's insanely violent and gratuitously graphic.

• Thanks
Babyteeth is pretty good. It was the first Cates comic I read. AfterShock sent me PDF previews of issues 1 and 2 a little after the series debuted and I dug them enough to buy issues 3 and 4. I liked them but didn't continue with the series. Just got back into it earlier this year after being thoroughly impressed with Cates' current output. I like it, but not enough to buy it physically. It's a crazy wild ride and very close tonally to Ennis' Preacher and has similiar religious themes. I recommend at least checking out the first issue if you're at all enjoying any of his other comics.

Über: Invasion is amazing. I initially checked out the first issue of the first volume because I was really enjoying Gillen's Mercury Heat. Really wanted to dig it, but thought the art was all over the place and I had trouble keeping track of characters, so didn't continue with it. A year or so later Avatar put up a Kickstarter for the Invasion series and one of the rewards was digital copies of the entire first volume and Invasion 1 and 2 for less than a dollar per issue. I caved and don't regret it. Once I got past that first issue again I really started loving it and burned through almost 30 issues in a couple days. Enjoyed Invasion so much when that started dropping I switched to reading it physically. If you're unfamiliar with the premise it's an alternate WWII history where the Nazis created superpowered soldiers. Britain gets their hands on the techniques to create these soldiers and it becomes a race of who can build the biggest superpowered army first (then Russia, Japan and the U.S. join the party). It's narrated in documentary style like someone recounting the events of the war years later. It's been one of my favorite comics for the last couple years and I highly, highly recommend it. Just know it's insanely violent and gratuitously graphic.

Violence doesn't bother me, so I'll have to check out the first issue of Invasion. That said, Preacher has never been something I've enjoyed, so I may skip Babyteeth. If anything, I'll take a look at a digital copy if it's ever on sale for 99 cents on comiXology.

@falseface @tridon Nice, I’m starting slow just got on pull for

Immortal Hulk
Judge Dredd
Iron Man Tony Stark

Will likely add Savage Dragon for old times sake.

Debating on Cosmic Ghost Rider , Spider-Man and Captain America but will read issue 1 to see

Pull the trigger on Cosmic Ghost Rider, brother. CGR 1 was one of the funnest first issues I've read in a little while. A perfect jumping on point. And the art is killer.

• Informative
  • Thanks
Reactions: jitstark and tridon
Violence doesn't bother me, so I'll have to check out the first issue of Invasion. That said, Preacher has never been something I've enjoyed, so I may skip Babyteeth. If anything, I'll take a look at a digital copy if it's ever on sale for 99 cents on comiXology.

Just know that Invasion 1 is actually the 30th issue in the Über series, so you'll be missing quite a lot by starting there.

• Informative
Pull the trigger on Cosmic Ghost Rider, brother. CGR 1 was one of the funnest first issues I've read in a little while. A perfect jumping on point. And the art is killer.
sweet. got 2 copies coming my way. 1 is a reader and 1 is dell'otto art.

• Thanks
Man, I remember a time when my pull list had 40+ monthly comics on it. Of course, that was back when I had zero responsibility and a lot of disposable income. :LOL:

As of right now at my LCBS, my pull list contains these monthlies:
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Exiles
  • Immortal Hulk
  • Oblivion Song
  • Skyward
  • Venom
  • The Weatherman
  • X-Men: Red
On top of that, there's also these mini-series/one-shots on hold:
  • Avengers: Halloween Special (one-shot)
  • Batman/The Maxx
  • Cover
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda
  • Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer
  • Hunt for Wolverine: Dead Ends (one-shot)
  • Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor
  • Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost
  • The Magic Order
  • Miss Fury
  • Pearl
  • Return of Wolverine
  • What If? X-Men (one-shot)
I'll try out most first issues of new Image series. I currently have the first issues of Crowded, Cold Spots, Blackbird, and Exosisters on hold. I'll also buy the occasional variant cover if the art's by Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mack, Sam Keith, Dale Keown, or Ryan Ottley. Batman #50 left a sour taste in my mouth, but I've otherwise been enjoying Tom King's run on the book. Debating whether to continue with it. I have Justice League Dark #1 waiting in my pull box right now. If I enjoy it, that may end up on my monthly pull list. And then there's a few monthlies that I've fallen behind on that I'm going to catch up to soon and re-add to my pull list: Saga, Paper Girls, Rat Queens, Lazarus, The Wicked + The Divine... all amazing books from Image that I can't wait to get back into.

So there you have it. A look into what Ken reads/collects. :p

It looks like I'll be adding a couple new DC ongoings to my card this winter: Wonder Woman by G. Willow Wilson and Cary Nord, and The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp. I was a HUGE fan of Nord's work on Conan, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he tackles the world of Wonder Woman. As for The Green Lantern, if Morrison can bring over half of his craziness from New X-Men, I'm going to be in absolute heaven.

More additions for my card this week! I have some great recommendations for those looking for new books to follow.

I'm going to hold the complete first arc of the new West Coast Avengers book because #1 was a lot of fun. As I said to @Wreck, it has a sitcom feel to it and is almost like Veronica Mars with superheroes. It's definitely a comedy/action, so if you're looking for something more serious, you'll probably want to skip it.

I bought the first issue of Image's Cold Spots and I enjoyed it so much that I'll be getting the remainder of the mini-series. This is a horror/mystery with some damn solid artwork (a sketchy, dirtier style that is somewhat reminiscent of Jock or Sienkiewicz. It honestly felt like a screenplay that's been adapted to a comic book.

Lastly, I grabbed the first issue of Aphrodite V from Top Cow and it was awesome! If you like comics with a lot of meat on the bone (i.e. lots of exposition), then this is the one for you. It's a solid read with some gorgeous artwork. Definitely for fans of RoboCop, Ghost in the Shell, Lucy, or other films along those lines.

well I read fantastic four and cosmic ghost rider and I like both . haha. Originally thought 2 i could pass on but think I may just add them to the pull list ... if FF flatlines at any point then I'll stop but very well written first book. @tridon

and i think i will grab that west coast now ha. give it at least a shot.

• Thanks
well I read fantastic four and cosmic ghost rider and I like both . haha. Originally thought 2 i could pass on but think I may just add them to the pull list ... if FF flatlines at any point then I'll stop but very well written first book. @tridon

and i think i will grab that west coast now ha. give it at least a shot.

The FF as characters have never connected with me, so I generally always skip their books (even when favourite writers like JMS and Mark Millar write them). That's unfortunate of course because while I don't care for the FF, they have one of the best rogues galleries with Doctor Doom, Galactus, and Annihilus.

Cosmic Ghost Rider on the other hand has been very intriguing to me. I still find the idea stupid, but with Donny Cates being the writer/creator, I'm definitely intrigued. His Venom run so far has been freakin' incredible!

bought west coast avengers @tridon I think this is the sjw type stuff people talk about eh? maybe not, but the strong female leads etc im guessing is what the comic community yt rants are about.

I didnt mind it, do feel its written to attract a broader audience but as is such with any corporations looking for "growth" ... overall was a fun comic and did want me wanting to see what happens in #2 etc. I might grab next few issues and see where it goes. Was def well written and a fun read in the almost reality tv interview type concept of it all.

bought west coast avengers @tridon I think this is the sjw type stuff people talk about eh? maybe not, but the strong female leads etc im guessing is what the comic community yt rants are about.

I didnt mind it, do feel its written to attract a broader audience but as is such with any corporations looking for "growth" ... overall was a fun comic and did want me wanting to see what happens in #2 etc. I might grab next few issues and see where it goes. Was def well written and a fun read in the almost reality tv interview type concept of it all.

Yeah, this is pretty much the SJW that everyone is talking about. Any comic that features a cast led by woman where the majority of the characters are diverse and more than just a white male in tights is usually what they're talking about. That's where this whole Comicsgate thing is coming from.

I also liked the reality TV feel that it had and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. I'll likely try out the first story arc, anyway... though I don't see this last more than a year. I'm sure Marvel will cancel it and reboot it in no time.

I'm late to the party but I second that about CGR. I'm loving the first couple of issues and really wanna see how it plays out.

On another note, have you seen the Dell'Otto artwork for the Thor #5? It looks nuts

• Thanks
@jitstark i actually like the thor title text on that art more than the art. With the price of those editions from IG Comic Store I'm ignoring any and all that aren't #1s

thanks @falseface for the Cosmic Ghost Rider recommendation. Just read issue 2 and 3 today. Liking it a lot. All over the place crazy too in issue 3.

• Thanks
@jitstark i actually like the thor title text on that art more than the art. With the price of those editions from IG Comic Store I'm ignoring any and all that aren't #1s

thanks @falseface for the Cosmic Ghost Rider recommendation. Just read issue 2 and 3 today. Liking it a lot. All over the place crazy too in issue 3.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've grabbed one though as I love the art and it's got the appearance of Cosmic/Phoenix Wolverine.

• Thanks
added cosmic ghost rider, west coast avengers (for now), judge dredd toxic to my pull list had Tony STark iron man and Immortal hulk ( still do)

Gave up on Black Panther after issue 3 .... the latest Tony Stark isnt all too captivating either.

and I think i added return of wolverine . bought enough variants anyhow. :wacky:

• Thanks
added cosmic ghost rider, west coast avengers (for now), judge dredd toxic to my pull list had Tony STark iron man and Immortal hulk ( still do)

Gave up on Black Panther after issue 3 .... the latest Tony Stark isnt all too captivating either.

and I think i added return of wolverine . bought enough variants anyhow. :wacky:

Oh, someone got bit by the comic bug hard. :p

My pull list is out of control right now. I'm going to have to cut some ongoings and I think Immortal Hulk may be one of them. I enjoyed the first issue, but the issues since have been pretty lackluster.

Oh, someone got bit by the comic bug hard. :p

My pull list is out of control right now. I'm going to have to cut some ongoings and I think Immortal Hulk may be one of them. I enjoyed the first issue, but the issues since have been pretty lackluster.
Its a good destresser.
Yeah the last 2 Immortal Hulks im like ... uhhhh can we go back to making this good again?

Unknown Comic Books replaced my damaged wolvy's tho i was told I shouldnt choose FCM shipping. No probs with other orders arriving as such. Then i got sent 2 replacements, they told me to keep both packages tho. So that was nice of them. Point being ended up with more wolvy variants.

• Thanks
Its a good destresser.
Yeah the last 2 Immortal Hulks im like ... uhhhh can we go back to making this good again?

Unknown Comic Books replaced my damaged wolvy's tho i was told I shouldnt choose FCM shipping. No probs with other orders arriving as such. Then i got sent 2 replacements, they told me to keep both packages tho. So that was nice of them. Point being ended up with more wolvy variants.

It really is a good destresser. I've always enjoyed sitting down and getting lost within a comicbook.

Yeah, I don't know what's going with the Immortal Hulk. The first issue was very horroresque and reminded me of the classic Bruce Jones run, but then it started getting more superheroey and talking about a "green door" and everything. I don't know... there's nothing spooky about the recent issues and that's not what I signed on for. I was hoping it'd stay awesome like that first issue... kinda like how Venom had an awesome first issue and it's been consistently awesome every since (issues #3 and #4 are even worth quite a bit of cash already).

Happy that Unknown Comics replaced your copies, but they said you shouldn't use one of the shipping options that they offer you? Okkkkay. How about they should just package their limited edition comics a little better?