Where to start?

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
What up guys? I need some help. So, for the last year or so I've had my Samsung tv set up to a 2.1 Bose Cinemate system. My wife pretty much made me get it because it only has the two speakers which are small.

I'm looking to start adding in much better audio equipment and want to know where I should start. I'm looking towards future proofing a little bit.

Any suggestions on what I should start off with? I won't be buying everything at once, even though I can.:)

Well, money isn't really an issue, but I'm looking for a nice middle of the road setup. Nothing at the low end and nothing really at the high end. For me, high end won't add much bonus to me, or will it really?

Well i have a Denon but they are pricey but well worth it. I love it and while most say others are ok i hear a big differance between lets say Onkyo vs Denon. This is the one i have

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp

So, is this a middle of the price range receiver? I have no idea, really. What is the difference between this and say the Onkyo's, Pioneer elite's, etc?

Will something like this be more than I need? This is why I started this question. I have no experience with audio equipment at all.

That's no where near middle price! lol that's going all out. Check out Yamaha or Onkyo receivers, but then again if you want to go all out then the Denons are nice! :) That's where you need to start I would say.

I got this one at Best Buy it was on sale for 1199.99
For me this is just right. The power is there it supports
All the new HD audio and no distortion is a plus for me as I watch my movies hella loud

Thats a sweet receiver and I wouldnt say its going all out as im sure 5,000+ on a receiever in my eyes is going all out....

However, I think if you got a top of the line Onkyo 806 or higher you would be extremely pleased, future proofed, and have spent alot less.

you want it to decode all HD audio, and if your going to future proof make sure its THX certified ... thats the only thing mine isnt ... as I got a lower end Onkyo 605 but to get my start into HT at like only $280 was awesome as they sell for $400 or so on amazon.

ecost.com is a certified refurb onkyo dealer ... you can get great bargin there if you want to get a receiver much cheaper than retail and have the extra cash to say buy your sub already for the price of you getting a denon (which very good) at say the price Rick got his.

ecost.com also sales denons ...

whatever you choose, I definitely recommend ecost.com on your receiver cause even if you didnt like it you could return it and may only cost ya $40 or so to do so ... since I believe there is a retrun shippnig charge on something so big, nto for sure tho...

cosmetically the receivers are brand new even tho refurbished ... they are typically receivers that had a malfunction or didnt work that got returned and then sent to ecost.com or tigerdirect as liquidated where the certified techs fix the issue and then they sale them alot cheaper and you can also buy warranties and such for them if that makes you feel safer about your buy.

anyways ..... Here is what you need to do in my eyes, from being a guy who was like you and jsut got into HT ... I learned alot from say said mistakes I shoulda done.

1) Get a receiver that is as much future proofed as can be ... by being able to decode all the HD audio you want to hear, THX, sufficient amount of HDMI inputs/outputs in the back of it ... easy plug ins in the back etc. Try to get the best deal on the receiver to save money for the front speakers

2) Buy the best front speakers your money allows as they will put out most of your sound , make sure they are a color that you like and would go well in rooms of the future ... i.e. black as opposed to maple or red cherry (unless you really like that look ) black is typically cheaper too. Obviously you want something cosmetically nice esp if the wife has any say so in the matter. If I had my way with speakers at the moment ... I personally would get some high end Polks maybe Klipsch ... If I wanted to really be happy and impressed with my fronts for a very long time id budget say $1500 for the pair ... (IMO)

3) Center Channel ... another key ingrediant to your overall sound as this can alot to any movie being watched ... get a bad ass center channel of the same brand as your fronts and if able "timbre" matched ... timbre in the sense that every time a company makes speakers they make sets in the sense that these were made to compliment the others ... although its not necessity as you may never hear the difference but real audioholics eat that **** up.

4) rears ... here is where you can be a little more conservative and they are alot cheaper if you get bookshelf speakers as your rears which many do ... they are also smaller , not floorstanding (which your front towers should be) and are easy to aftermarket if you ever upgrade ... but ofcourse there are kick ass bookshelf rears as well that would make you never wanna upgrade.

5) Sub, all depends how big of a bang you want , smoothness and how much ur willing to spend ... I'm not big on sub right now as I dont care to have it overcloud the movie plus im in an apartment, I'll have a better word on that when im building my HT in my house ... hopefully within the next 2 years :D

if your in no rush ... buy the receiver, buy some fronts, move the bose to the back as your rears until they are bought or use no rears until those are bought ... your bose may be wireless with no speaker connections anyways, dont know.

In any case, receiver, fronts, the rest can be bought peiece by piece to give you complete sound ....

also, for a bigger room you can do 7.1 as opposed to 5.1 .... i.e. 5 speakers and the sub counts as the .1 or 7 with 2 middles on top of your fronts and rears and center channel.

Last edited:
Receivers are tough. They're all so similar. Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo. The Sony ES series is pretty good too, but I think it has to do mostly w/ your personal taste. I'm a Sony guy, so all my stuff is Sony. It looks pretty in the "rack" if it all matches too! Future proofing is kinda "touchy" as well. Sooner or later they'll come out with something else, other than HDMI, and then ........ here we go again. Yet ANOTHER wire I have to re-run. :cool:

Well i have a Denon but they are pricey but well worth it. I love it and while most say others are ok i hear a big differance between lets say Onkyo vs Denon. This is the one i have

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp

Haha, I am the exact opposite. I don't like Denon and much prefer my Onkyo. I demoed the Denon 2908 (and yamaha 1800) before I bought my Onkyo 805 so I guess it's really just personal preference.

As far as most pricey, Denon is a little high but they still aren't top of the line receivers. You will end up forking over the most for Integra and Marantz receivers, but there is a reason for that. They are quality receivers and will likely be around longer than you will!

Haha, I am the exact opposite. I don't like Denon and much prefer my Onkyo. I demoed the Denon 2908 (and yamaha 1800) before I bought my Onkyo 805 so I guess it's really just personal preference.

As far as most pricey, Denon is a little high but they still aren't top of the line receivers. You will end up forking over the most for Integra and Marantz receivers, but there is a reason for that. They are quality receivers and will likely be around longer than you will!

+1

Marantz receivers are friggin tanks. I am still using one from the 70's and it performs like a champ... of course it's sole purpose is to power 1 12" rockford fosgate, but the fact that I've run it hot for years and years and it still kicks is amazing