Windows 7 7100 RC Out Now - RTM 7600 leaked, Final Oct 22

Jan 29, 2009
Who is testing this sucker out? It's just fricking amazing, though it does crash, but its a BETA, and the best BETA I have ever tested..

15.4" laptop screen.. lol.. if i had a desktop it would be bigger. I also compressed it down to 800x600 so it didn't take up the whole damn forum..

You get the gist that its the full Ultimate edition activated, and now i'm running Aero with everything installed.. I likey..

Cool, I am not in a hurry, I am still thinking of upgrading my video card to a new eVGA 850 GTX :) so until then I'll hold off from Windows 7.

why are you running a 32 bit os on a 64 bit chip? :confused:

It only has 2gb of ram, and a crappy graphics card.. 64 bit would make it run slow... Its a XP computer that was Windows Vista Basic Compatible...

Plus I don't want to look for 64 bit versions of alot of the things i use, i'm lazy..

It only has 2gb of ram, and a crappy graphics card.. 64 bit would make it run slow... Its a XP computer that was Windows Vista Basic Compatible...

Plus I don't want to look for 64 bit versions of alot of the things i use, i'm lazy..

i run win7 with a gig of ram. and use 32 bit programs for everything. its faster. no excuses :p

Microsoft Touts Windows 7 Improvements
by Paul Thurrott

At a press event in San Francisco on Tuesday, Microsoft and Intel highlighted how their decades-long partnership has most recently yielded performance and battery-life improvements in the upcoming Windows 7. According to the companies, Windows 7-based notebook PCs will see 10 to 20 percent better battery life than identical machines running Windows Vista. The new systems will also boot up much more quickly, often in as little as 11 seconds.

"We both made a larger investment than ever before on the engineering side to improve on the hardware and software," Microsoft General Manager Mike Anguilo said. This close collaboration led to an OS that, unlike Vista, was something "they are proud of."

At the event, to highlight the differences, Microsoft demonstrated Windows 7 and Vista running on identical laptops. A Lenovo ThinkPad was running Vista at a rate that would see a bit over 4 hours of battery life, while Windows 7 running on the same machine would obtain about 5.5 hours of battery life.

The power savings and performance advances will result in a number of real-world improvements, Microsoft noted. For example, users will see longer DVD playback times on notebook computers. And improvements to the system's support for multiple cores in modern PCs mean that processor-intensive tasks such as video encoding won't hamper performance, as in the past.

Of course, PC makers can and will screw up Windows 7's performance by tacking on unnecessary crapware applications that slow boot time and, in many cases, duplicate functionality already provided by Windows but with PC-maker branding. Microsoft and Intel acknowledged this problem but said that the gains in Windows 7 are real; it's simply up to the PC makers not to ruin the experience.

"The final choice of what is on the retail shelf is something the [PC makers] will configure," Microsoft Program Manager Ruston Panabaker said. "But what we showed today was real capability in actual scenarios."

Epic Patch Tuesday rolls a baker's dozen, including first Windows 7 RTM patches

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...-rolls-a-bakers-dozen-including-first-window/

It's not due to appear on stores for a few more weeks (or with major distributors like Synnex for a few more days), but the Windows 7 RTM is slated to receive a handful of critical fixes on Patch Tuesday next week.

A total of five patches are slated for both the 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Only one of the updates is considered critical, however, and it actually targets a vulnerability in Internet Explorer and not Windows itself.

That's a sharp contrast to XP and Vista. Softpedia points out that six of nine flaws in XP and eight of ten in Vista are flagged critical.

In total, there are 13 updates coming out this Tuesday -- which could make for an interesting few days for any of you who happen to be Windows administrators.

I've been running Windows 7 64 bit (rtm) since August and I have no complaints, it's smooth, is not so hardware intensive, and the GUI is not a memory hog! :scat:

I've been running Windows 7 64 bit (rtm) since August and I have no complaints, it's smooth, is not so hardware intensive, and the GUI is not a memory hog! :scat:

yeah i like it so far... i just have to locate a couple of drivers or wait for them to be released. i think if vista was like this when it was initially released there would have been more adoption...

yeah i like it so far... i just have to locate a couple of drivers or wait for them to be released. i think if vista was like this when it was initially released there would have been more adoption...

they don't show up when you run windows update?

awesome isn't it!

love it!! can't wait to do a new desktop build with a ssd for win 7 only... should scream. it seems to boot up so much faster than vista (ok maybe a few seconds but its is still faster). this is my first dip into the 64 bit os world too... so far so good. i have been trying to get win 7 for a few months now. i am a student member of ieee but couldn't log in to msdnaa site through them cause they never emailed me a password... then when i finally get pw they pull win 7 from database due to abuse! i was not happy. then after a couple of emails to my school's msdnaa admin i finally got access. well back to the wonderful reloading of software so i can get some homework done... :scat:

they don't show up when you run windows update?

kind of... but they don't take you to the actual download. they take you to manufacturer site (in my case Sony) where you have to put in info etc to see what drivers they have. since i was running 32 bit vista home premium it is going to be trial and error i suppose... shouldn't be to bad due to 64 having 32 bit emulator i am hoping.

kind of... but they don't take you to the actual download. they take you to manufacturer site (in my case Sony) where you have to put in info etc to see what drivers they have. since i was running 32 bit vista home premium it is going to be trial and error i suppose... shouldn't be to bad due to 64 having 32 bit emulator i am hoping.

never run into that before. if there's a driver, i can download it through windows update.

interesting