Yakuza 3 Megathread - OUT NOW!

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Yakuza 3, originally released in Japan as Like a Dragon 3 is the sequel to Yakuza 2 and the fourth installment in the Yakuza series, developed by CS1 team and published by Sega exclusively for the PS3. It was released in Japan and South East Asia on February 26, 2009, and will be released in North America and Europe in March 2010.

Yakuza3_boxart.jpg

Plot

Unlike the previous episodes the story is not writen by Hase Seishu but by Masayoshi Yokoyama. Yakuza 3 takes a departure from the first two games with its choice of setting: instead of focusing on the gritty cityscape of Tokyo and Osaka, it switches gears and sends Kazuma Kiryu to the Ryukyu Islands, Okinawa, where he runs the Morning glory orphanage with his adoptive daughter Haruka Sawamura who accompanied him in the previous episodes and the Movie Version.

The Morning glory orphanage is on a land that is owned by Shigeru Nakahara, the boss of a local yakuza clan or bōryokudan, known as the Ryudo Family. Nakahara is under pressure from the country's government to sell the land which is planned to become a seaside resort. When his friend Daigo Dojima, late Chairman of the Tojo Clan, is involved in an assassination attempt, Kiryu once again finds himself in a series of tough situations and has to fight to protect his new sanctuary.

Launch Trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/crU4N8E1Cy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/crU4N8E1Cy0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Last edited by a moderator:
US sales were so weak with the other Yakuza titles sega is skeptical of doing it.

Wouldn't they just have to change the language from Japanese to English and then pay some licensing fees? Seems like they would sell enough to make a decent profit off of it. It is a PS3 exclusive isn't it? Weird to a PS3 exclusive that's exclusive to Japan only.

Wouldn't they just have to change the language from Japanese to English and then pay some licensing fees? Seems like they would sell enough to make a decent profit off of it. It is a PS3 exclusive isn't it? Weird to a PS3 exclusive that's exclusive to Japan only.

I believe they have HK(Hong Kong) version of it. That will have English subtitles. Don't quote me on it though. I just thought it was. If it is available play-asia.com should have it.

I believe they have HK(Hong Kong) version of it. That will have English subtitles. Don't quote me on it though. I just thought it was. If it is available play-asia.com should have it.

I played the demo and it wasn't bad all, but yeah all they need to do is localization, but with the results they got from previous titles no wonder Sega is skeptical.

Check Play-asia.com Thunda they sell games from Hong Kong, they tend to get Japanese games with English subs. You might get it there for a bit of an inflated price, might be around 64 plus shipping no tax.

it has trophies, we got the list up ... sooo that may give u some insight on the game as well , but ofcourse there are vids out.

SEGA hasn't ruled out Yakuza 3 U.S. release

SEGA has moved to quash reports suggesting that a U.S. conversion of PS3 brawler Yakuza 3 has been firmly ruled out, insisting there's always a possibility the game may arrive on western shores.

Rumors cropped up earlier this year that a North American release of the title had been firmly ruled out by the company as a result of poor sales of the first two games outside of its native Japan. However, posting in the comments section on the U.S. PlayStation Blog, SEGA’s Aaron Webbster stated, "Yakuza 3 is not cancelled – and the possibility for localizing it does, in fact, still exist.”

“The original news story that went around about Yakuza 3 being declined for the US was false, and localizing the game still remains a big point of discussion for many people here at SEGA, and especially those of us on SEGA’s community team.I know it’s far from an announcement, but I just felt you should know that the chance does still exist.”

Yakuza 3 hit Japanese retailers earlier this year, with plans for a fourth installment already underway. Expect more news at the Tokyo Game Show next week.

Yakuza 3 is Coming to the West
1UP has learned that the game is indeed being localized for release here.
By Sam Kennedy, 09/19/2009

Just a few days ago Sega rep Aaron Webber commented that the possibility of Yakuza 3 coming to the U.S. still exists and that it's a subject discussed quite often at Sega. Today we can do one better: we've learned that the PS3 exclusive is indeed coming west. According to sources close to the project, Yakuza 3 is currently being localized for release in the U.S. and European markets.

And while this is still not the official confirmation many are seeking, it's definitely reason to keep up hope. We anticipate more news on this front will be coming from Sega -- or another publisher, were the game shopped around -- in the coming weeks or months. It's possible we could even hear sooner: the Tokyo Game Show occurs later this week, and if you remember, Sega announced Yakuza 2 for the U.S. at the 2007 show.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176109

Yakuza 3 dated for UK

SEGA has finally staple-gunned a UK release date to its upcoming adventure romp Yakuza 3, confirming the hotly anticipated PlayStation 3 sequel will hit store shelves on March 12.

Yakuza 3 has players hopping in to the shoes of Kiryu Kazuma and features a brand new setting in the form of Okinawa, alongside old haunts in Tokyo. Keeping in harmony with its Japanese counterpart, the game features English subtitles and Japanese dialogue, just as the chaps at SEGA opted for with the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II.

Yakuza 3 dated for UK

SEGA has finally staple-gunned a UK release date to its upcoming adventure romp Yakuza 3, confirming the hotly anticipated PlayStation 3 sequel will hit store shelves on March 12.

Yakuza 3 has players hopping in to the shoes of Kiryu Kazuma and features a brand new setting in the form of Okinawa, alongside old haunts in Tokyo. Keeping in harmony with its Japanese counterpart, the game features English subtitles and Japanese dialogue, just as the chaps at SEGA opted for with the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II.
Awesome. Just in time for my birthday too.