Multi Yooka-Laylee (A 3D Platformer Rare-vival!)

Sixteenvolt420

TV/Video Game/Music Mod
Premium Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Drums, PA
Kickstarter Supporter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

2ed734d7bd8f65f10545f759184fb9ed_original.jpg

cdf7c4fc5c19daa0fe8a20ef4f236c25_original.png

Yooka-Laylee is an all-new 3D platformer from the creative talent behind the Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country games. We’ve come together to form Playtonic Games and create a spiritual successor to our most cherished work from the past!
Our new heroes, Yooka (the green bloke with no pants) and Laylee (the wisecracking lady-bat with the big nose) were conceptualised from the ground up for stellar platforming gameplay, created by the same character artist behind the rebooted Donkey Kong family and legendary N64 heroes Banjo and Kazooie.

Using an arsenal of special moves like Yooka’s tongue grapple and Laylee’s tactical sonar blast, players will explore – and expand – gorgeous 3D worlds drawn up by esteemed environment artist Steven Hurst (Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Pinata) and through skill discover the plethora of delicious collectibles hidden within.

af60ee6f31bafedd3e9b6b3bea9f4bba_original.png

We did this in 3 months. It took me almost that long to write this page.
3c7929cdcc78cf21df1ada87a7a359fd_original.png

43c09986aab0a35e8cf65f44bcbdc39e_original.png

62ed3d2443fae95beb2929a3e5e54274_original.png

Heroes Built for Fun: Our new buddy-duo were dreamed up specifically for entertaining platforming gameplay and exceptional colour coordination. We think we've captured the spirit of our past heroes while introducing our most inventive moves yet.

An Arsenal of Abilities: Sonar blasting, tongue whipping, sky soaring… a move roster built for platforming fun – and unlocked with added freedom. Additionally, there may or may not be a move involving a giant fart bubble.

d74c478d542e02dee978240a022654eb_original.png

Yooka regretted filling out that PPI claim.
A Dream Soundtrack: David Wise (Donkey Kong Country) and Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie) combine in what's sure to be a melodic masterpiece! Seriously, clean out your ears - they're in for a treat.

Collect-em-up 2.0: A roster of shiny collectibles with gameplay progression at their core (as well as other, more valuable materials). Every collectible type in our new game will expand gameplay in a meaningful way. Yes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word. Our main collectible, Pagies, are used to unlock and expand new worlds in Yooka-Laylee.

Expandable Worlds: Experience more of the playgrounds you love by spending collectibles to expand your favourites into bigger, more challenging worlds.

3f90c2146697aeede655e1390e98382c_original.png

Take (musical) note: our new collectibles are work in progress.
A Cast to Last: A huge cast of memorable characters to meet (or beat) brought to life by the art and audio teams behind Banjo-Kazooie and destined to endure in future games as part of Playtonic Universe. Expect all manner of grunts, squeaks and squawks.

Introducing Play Tonics: Discover these unique gameplay modifiers and use them to customise gameplay to suit your style. Will you run faster, hit harder or fly further? Also, are they named after our studio or vice versa? We'll never know.

Arcade machines: Each world hides at least one secret arcade game encasing old-school gaming goodness. Complete its retro-tastic challenge to claim your Pagie!

63a73efd999a1e55e39d399be3667171_original.png

You can expect accurate bat physics.
786060afc5c90bd02a1e290a22a0a417_original.png

During their adventures Yooka and Laylee will complete challenges to unlock and collectPagies. These golden collectibles are the main currency in the game, used not only to unlock new worlds but expand them too.

9b1038f23132dac35b4374898e5e6b76_original.jpg

It's snow joke, this world's going to be cool.
In the jungle world showcased in this Kickstarter for example, new islands containing advanced features and challenges will become available once you’ve decided to hand your Pagies over to the world-building construction crew.

Don’t give a monkey’s? Spend your Pagies elsewhere. If you desire, world expansion can be ignored entirely and you can hop, skip and roll your way through the standard worlds towards the final boss lurking in his or her mighty keep. And once the pivotal villain is nought but ash on the pavement, you can still opt to explore the expanded worlds with your full moveset post-credits to hunt down those leftover Pagies.

ef375b62b5f47d53872aa5c3d65fc58b_original.png

Yooka-Laylee will feature a truly mouth-watering (ear-leaking?) soundtrack created in collaboration by three of gaming’s greatest composers, the legendary David Wise (Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing), equally esteemed Banjo-Kazooie composer Grant Kirkhope (Viva Piñata, GoldenEye 007) and Banjo and Conker sound effects supremo Steve Burke (Kameo: Elements of Power).

This is one musical performance you definitely won’t want to miss! Don't believe us? Listen to the early excerpts below and tell us you're not excited. Go on, we dare ya.

c7b8eec82d2d488caf96becefbaea944_original.png

'Jungle World' (working title / progress) by Grant Kirkhope:

'Jungle Challenge' (working title / in progress) by David Wise:

What's more we've already had Chris Sutherland - part time programmer, full time voice actor extraordinaire - locked in the recording booth to bring his iconic 'gibberish' style to the characters (and googly-eyed objects) of Yooka-Laylee, ensuring a genuine audio treat. You might as well play it with your eyes closed, to be honest.
6240e85f00c2e8f1c71d98267fe2124f_original.png

80908ebf25f59676e72d187628747efc_original.png

If our initial Kickstarter funding goal is reached, backers can be assured that the Playtonic team will deliver a complete and satisfying game package. However, given the opportunity and additional resources required, we have a list of ‘dream’ additional extras – and release structures - that we’d love to deliver in order to make Yooka-Laylee an even better game.

If funded, Yooka-Laylee will be released for Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4and Wii U. However, the exact release timing and scope of each version will be determined by the success of this Kickstarter campaign and specifically, our stretch goals.

We’d love to be able to guarantee a simultaneous, day-one release on all platforms in order to satisfy every Yooka-Laylee backer. In order to do this we’ll need to significantly expand our resources and budget, and if we can reach the funding number required we’d be excited to do so.

Any extra money will of course go towards improving the game. Below is an example of some of the extra features we’ll be able to fulfil by reaching stretch funding goals:

180398c9c90b5dcbbec21c9514dddfba_original.png

1f0af08e301dce8a38beaa08ab8f2a11_original.png

1d1045a8d5f0fbf0390efe2efbc29123_original.png

• What the Bleedin’ Norah is a Toybox? Our Toybox experiences are designed to deliver hands on time with Yooka and Laylee before the game even comes out. You can be the first to take our heroic duo for a spin (literally, if you press X) but we promise this self-contained plaything won’t spoil the full game: It’s built from in-game assets arranged specifically for this experience. There won’t be any objectives to beat, just a controllable duo, nice music and a few surprises too… !
da74107c1365bb2f9bc34309fc0498fa_original.png

• Toybox ++ The Enhanced Playtonic Sandbox? Well of course, sir. A fine choice. I’ll prepare the improved play space, advanced props and special moves right away. Oh I’m sorry, are those sports shoes? I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave.
bd8fbcc86fa83b289c078cc3412ab0a0_original.png

• It'll look something like this: (work in progress!)
4c430d2d7e13fe56f49101deb5d5a05f_original.png

7034c36d84df483040186f06ccd19f1b_original.png

• The concert will be in Stuttgart, Germany at the Mozart hall on November 21st 2015 – David and Grant are confirmed with more details to follow soon…!
  • The Playtonic Team, composers and our backers will meet up in Stuttgart • You will be our VIP guests, we’ll all sit together at the concert and dinner and discuss the potential reasons why Grant talks so fast
  • You may want to know more details before pledging, so please get in touch with us on [email protected] or check out the organisers Facebook page here;https://www.facebook.com/rareconcert/info?tab=page_info

Last edited:
Reactions: AnubisNefer
This is crazy. I've never seen a game get this much support on Kickstarter, so quickly. Over 500,000 already. They may reach the 1,000,000 stretch goal within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Over 28,000 people backing it, and over £1,002,569 has been raised, in less than 24 hours. They've already blown through all of their stretch goals, hopefully they'll add more and maybe make the game larger, or do a physical release on the next gen consoles, rather than just a digital release.

*Edit*

Looks like they're adding more stretch goals, due to the insane demand for the game.

Last edited:
I'll buy this in a heartbeat when it's released. As for now, I don't think they need my assistance through Kickstarter. That said, if a physical PS4 copy becomes a perk, I will probably change my mind. It's good to see the REAL Rare back at it. Different name, same charm. Can't wait!

Reactions: Sixteenvolt420
I'll buy this in a heartbeat when it's released. As for now, I don't think they need my assistance through Kickstarter. That said, if a physical PS4 copy becomes a perk, I will probably change my mind. It's good to see the REAL Rare back at it. Different name, same charm. Can't wait!

So far they're only planning a physical release on PC. I also hope they end up doing a physical version for PS4.

Maybe this just isn't my sort of game, but I have zero interest in this. It's great to see so many other people excited about it though, and it's cool that it's doing so well!

You'd think that with the amount of cash they've brought in so far, they could easily do physical copies for platforms.

Yeah, or get somebody to release it, like Mighty No 9 is doing. It just stinks they won't let those of us who Kickstarted Mighty No 9, pay a little more and upgrade to a physical copy.

Maybe this just isn't my sort of game, but I have zero interest in this. It's great to see so many other people excited about it though, and it's cool that it's doing so well!

Yeah, not every game is for everybody. Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country were some of my favorites in the 90's. I'm really excited for it. I need to play a good platformer, in what seems to mostly bee and endless sea of shooters.

Reactions: tridon
Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite games of all time, I play it quite often

Not sure how much money I am going to throw at this yet, but I will back the Kickstarter for sure.

Really looking forward to this, hope it's a return to the classic 3D platformer / collectothon

As the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter campaign ascends to even more spectacular heights, it’s high time we introduced you to the game’s first support character: flash, wheeler dealing serpent, Trowzer!

“ALRIGHT GEEZERSSS… COME TO LEARN FROM THE BESSST?”

Look: Clothing!

trowza-1024x1024.png

Trowzer is a business-snake whose career never took off. Not that he knows it – the smug, serpent salesman thinks he’s the bee’s knees (not that he has knees), and for a little dosh he’ll teach you some of the slick moves he picked up on the high-stakes sales floor.

Yooka-Laylee’s creative lead, Gavin Price explains: “Trowzer thinks of himself as the best salesman ever, but with his downbeat appearance and 1980’s mobile phone, life never took off for him.

“He’ll take your money and count it (he’s an Adder…) and because he knows best he’ll even demonstrate the moves you just bought for you to replicate… if you can follow his jiggling.”

Character artist extraordinaire, Mr. Steve Mayles described the design process behind his latest creation: “I didn’t want him to be a snake in the traditional sense, and when Gav suggested he should have shorts on (do I have to add shorts to all of my characters?!), a great idea for this was his body could curl back up through the other leg hole. So he’ll move with a certain springiness, which will be fun to animate.”

http://www.playtonicgames.com/learn-from-the-bessst/