Zack Snyder's Justice League (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 39) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: March 28 April 29 (TBC) (Box Set and Individual Editions) - April 29 May 27, 2022 (TBC) (Motherboxes) READ THIS
Purchase links: Box Set - Full Slip - Lenti - Double Lenti - Motherbox HU - Motherbox AM - Motherbox AT (Pre-order January 28, at 8 PM - Hong Kong time) Check your local time HERE
Price: $184.97 (Box Set) - $56.99 (Full Slip) - $57.99 (Lenti - Double Lenti) - $139.99 (Motherboxes)
Group buy: Hosted by Aniv Box Set - Full Slip - Lenti - Double Lenti - Motherbox HU - Motherbox AM - Motherbox AT

Notes:
WEA, Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title".
Box Set: 500 Sets, Numbered 1-500. Scratch Resistance Coating, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing.
Full Slip: 850 copies, Numbered 1-850. Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing.
Lenti: 850 copies, Numbered 1-850. 3D Lenticular, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing.
Double Lenti: 800 copies, Numbered 1-800. 3D+Flip Lenticular x 2, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing.
Motherboxes: Resin box with removable lid & made by high-end figure manufacturer.
HU: 500 copies, Numbered 1-500. Steelbook Stand: Resin stand with velvet interior. Rubber patches on the bottom of stand for stability. Premiums: Zack Synder's Tin case with sticker, JL Metal pin, JL Flag, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.
AM: 500 copies, Numbered 1-500. Metal Pin: Worn metal pins with each JL member's symbol with Darkseid's symbol. Premiums: Zack Synder's Tin case with metallic sticker, JL Metal pins, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.
AT: 500 copies, Numbered 1-500. Metal Pin: Worn metal pin with each JL logo. Flag: Fabric flag with JL logo heat transfer printed Approx 44cm x 56cm in size. Premiums: Zack Synder's Tin case with sticker, JL Metal pin, JL Flag, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.
Premiums: Booklet, Postcards, Character Cards, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.

ZSJL_OC_new_5000x.jpgzsJL_overall_FS_5000x.jpg.jpegzsJL_overall_LS_5000x.jpg.jpegzsJL_overall_DLS_5000x.jpg.jpegZSJL_overall_human_5000x.jpg.jpegZSJL_overall_amazonian_v2_5000x.jpgZSJL_overall_atlantean_5000x.jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
Very interesting, open and honest interview. Great read (even though I knew a lot of it however hearing it from Snyder is much better to feast on)

That’s also mad about the Bruce Wayne and Louis scene and relationship that Zack wanted though. Not sure I would of liked that.

I’m so happy to see him acknowledge how toxic the super fanboys can be on social media. It’s just not needed and they go too far. Few of them here too. As I’ve said so many times, there’s no need for this DC vs Marvel and vice versa. Both can be enjoyed and both have fans that love each studio. And they respect each other too, you’d think that fans would admire that. That don’t mean you can’t criticise their direction or comment on a film you don’t like, I mean the people who are dismissive of the studios work in really weird ways because they fanboy the other studio.

Indeed there were some bits here and there than most of us had not been familiar with. I enjoyed reading it.

Not a fan about the Lois/Bruce thing either but hey ho.

Yes, the "super fanboys" can be very toxic and actually do a disservice to whichever cause they'd be rooting for. Some of them don't even realize it.

And on a somewhat related/unrelated note, the self-proclaimed source material purists can be just as toxic and alienate the creative talent behind these movies.

Quoting a certain director from a different universe:

We like & dislike stuff but we do it with humor, love & respect.

I personally love both studios, yeah I think marvel are ahead of the curve because they are 22+ films in, all connecting and have a good direction of what they want to achieve. Some aren’t great but over all they achieve what they set out to achieve. DCEU is a bit messier but I still love certain films. However, they are no where near the MCU numbers so I like to think by the time DCEU is 15/18 films in they would have sorted out certain issues and finally on track so I can say the majority of their films are great. That’s all I want

I enjoy both universes and I think they are each great in their own right.

I love Zack's work as well as the vision he had/has for the DCEU. My wishful thinking is that this release will change the perception that some have and that Warner will be back into the position of backing Zack's vision unconditionally for possible future work, if he wants to.

Reactions: Flloydo
Indeed there were some bits here and there than most of us had not been familiar with. I enjoyed reading it.

Not a fan about the Lois/Bruce thing either but hey ho.

Yes, the "super fanboys" can be very toxic and actually do a disservice to whichever cause they'd be rooting for. Some of them don't even realize it.

And on a somewhat related/unrelated note, the self-proclaimed source material purists can be just as toxic and alienate the creative talent behind these movies.

Quoting a certain director from a different universe:

We like & dislike stuff but we do it with humor, love & respect.

I enjoy both universes and I think they are each great in their own right.

I love Zack's work as well as the vision he had/has for the DCEU. My wishful thinking is that this release will change the perception that some have and that Warner will be back into the position of backing Zack's vision unconditionally for possible future work, if he wants to.
Yeah was still a lot I wasn’t familiar with like the Nolan and Deborah Part. Which is hilarious. The Whedon stuff is tough though because although he’s supposedly not a nice person on set, if you take all that stuff away, it still sounds like WB wanted him to make all these changes and reshoots so although he gets the blame it sounds like it was kinda out his hands anyway and he was just the man hired to do the job, I feel like anyone they hired to finish it was going to get dragged through the mud and I feel like no other director would of been able to save it anyway because WB had such a strict vision on how they wanted it to turn out. Like the whole babysitting of Zack with those 2 guys. It’s mad

Maybe I’m wrong and other directors who are maybe closer to Zack might of done a better job but because of his loss and him leaving the project and distancing himself from it that maybe the communication between him and a friend director still wouldn’t of worked.

A good example of the toxic fans at the moment is on twitter Someone asked who would win batman or the scarlet witch. You should see some of the replies and the defences people put up. It’s just some fun and thousands of toxic fanboys ruin it because they are right and no one can convince them otherwise. Sometimes these fan don’t look at things logically either haha

"After their private screening of the Whedon cut, Nolan and Deborah Snyder emerged into the light with a shared mission. “They came and they just said, ‘You can never see that movie,’” Zack Snyder says... "

that was brilliant. I got some respect back for Nolan because of that

I also liked this... and it’s so true

Initially, says Snyder, Warner Bros. just wanted to release the raw footage on his laptop. “I was like, ‘That’s a no, that’s a hard no,’” he says. “And they’re like, ‘But why? You can just put up the rough cut.’” Snyder didn’t trust their motivations. “I go, ‘Here’s why. Three reasons: One, you get the internet off your back, which is probably your main reason for wanting to do this. Two, you get to feel vindicated for making things right, I guess, on some level. And then three, you get a ****** version of the movie that you can point at and go, ‘See? It’s not that good anyway. So maybe I was right.’ I was like, No chance. I would rather just have the Snyder cut be a mythical unicorn for all time.”

Reactions: CollectorEmtee
I also liked this... and it’s so true

Initially, says Snyder, Warner Bros. just wanted to release the raw footage on his laptop. “I was like, ‘That’s a no, that’s a hard no,’” he says. “And they’re like, ‘But why? You can just put up the rough cut.’” Snyder didn’t trust their motivations. “I go, ‘Here’s why. Three reasons: One, you get the internet off your back, which is probably your main reason for wanting to do this. Two, you get to feel vindicated for making things right, I guess, on some level. And then three, you get a ****** version of the movie that you can point at and go, ‘See? It’s not that good anyway. So maybe I was right.’ I was like, No chance. I would rather just have the Snyder cut be a mythical unicorn for all time.”

I liked that as well.

I'm really loving all these arm chair experts on aspect ratios, that clearly have no clue about framing and camera work. 4.3 is a raw frame of 35mm, it doesn't mean the best image or you "get to see more footage" it's just what the camera captures. Good directors with the help of a good cinematographer, will shoot raw but have in their head how it should be presented "if using film" often putting a frame filter over camera's. You aren't losing anything, because the director wants everything to be within that frame be it 1.6 or 2.4. the top an bottom outside that frame is just what the camera captures its not part of the overall vision.

Some directors like ultra wide shots, Tarantino, Lucas, Scorsese are in that camp, they like framing for ultra wide screens, yes there will still be "footage" above and below but its not what they want you to see. Directors like Spielberg prefer height and film in standard cinema frames. Directors who have moved to digital can basically shoot any aspect they like straight away.

Snyder had raw footage on his computers and drives, Non edited no colour yet, so to me it looks like he wanted to save costs. Instead of going back and reframing which directors like Fincher like to do after they have finished principal photography, he's just decided to shoot the whole thing in that way. Reframing takes time and money and this has been rushed to get it out. Snyders comments that he made this for IMAX is laughable. It's a niche market, and a huge amount of multiplexes across the world "which right now are closed" have maybe one IMAX screen in their cinema's at best. With lockdown measures in place 90% of fans "Who are the ones who wanted this film" will be watching at home. The amount of fans who will ever see this in the format is tiny compared to those. He's cut corners and is trying to give excuses. WB will most likely re-release it again at some point as the directors final cut or something like it with a reframed version, as we all know full well if Snyder had originally stayed and finished the original film, it wouldn't have been 4.3 it would have been widescreen ready to fill cinema's and make lots of cash.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the chosen aspect ratio. Feels like we went backwards 20 years. Gretel and Hansel used a similar ratio in 4K and it wasn't pleasing to say the least. Basically a 4:3 aspect ratio back from the analog days.

Last edited:
Reactions: djjez83
I'm really loving all these arm chair experts on aspect ratios, that clearly have no clue about framing and camera work. 4.3 is a raw frame of 35mm, it doesn't mean the best image or you "get to see more footage" it's just what the camera captures. Good directors with the help of a good cinematographer, will shoot raw but have in their head how it should be presented "if using film" often putting a frame filter over camera's. You aren't losing anything, because the director wants everything to be within that frame be it 1.6 or 2.4. the top an bottom outside that frame is just what the camera captures its not part of the overall vision.

Some directors like ultra wide shots, Tarantino, Lucas, Scorsese are in that camp, they like framing for ultra wide screens, yes there will still be "footage" above and below but its not what they want you to see. Directors like Spielberg prefer height and film in standard cinema frames. Directors who have moved to digital can basically shoot any aspect they like straight away.

Snyder had raw footage on his computers and drives, Non edited no colour yet, so to me it looks like he wanted to save costs. Instead of going back and reframing which directors like Fincher like to do after they have finished principal photography, he's just decided to shoot the whole thing in that way. Reframing takes time and money and this has been rushed to get it out. Snyders comments that he made this for IMAX is laughable. It's a niche market, and a huge amount of multiplexes across the world "which right now are closed" have maybe one IMAX screen in their cinema's at best. With lockdown measures in place 90% of fans "Who are the ones who wanted this film" will be watching at home. The amount of fans who will ever see this in the format is tiny compared to those. He's cut corners and is trying to give excuses. WB will most likely re-release it again at some point as the directors final cut or something like it with a reframed version, as we all know full well if Snyder had originally stayed and finished the original film, it wouldn't have been 4.3 it would have been widescreen ready to fill cinema's and make lots of cash.
While I won't argue with the first 2 paragraphs, most of the 3rd is utter bollocks. This footage is obviously what was originally filmed, in aspect it was filmed, which would have without a shadow of a doubt had worldwide IMAX release. It was supposed to be huge, DC's answer to the avengers for god's sake. Saying anything otherwise is what's laughable.

Don't get me wrong, if he'd actually finished it for release, yes I have no doubt it would have ended up being framed differently for non IMAX releases, but that's not the world we live in. He's got the opportunity to release it as he wishes (well, atleast within the limitations of what he has to hand and what is possible under the circumstances), so that's what he's doing.

People need to accept that releasing what is available here in a 1.33.1 ratio results in no loss of picture, whereas cropping to a more typical ratio most definitely would. That's about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: willbar84
While I won't argue with the first 2 paragraphs, most of the 3rd is utter bollocks. This footage is obviously what was originally filmed, in aspect it was filmed, which would have without a shadow of a doubt had worldwide IMAX release. It was supposed to be huge, DC's answer to the avengers for god's sake. Saying anything otherwise is what's laughable.

Don't get me wrong, if he'd actually finished it for release, yes I have no doubt it would have ended up being framed differently for non IMAX releases, but that's not the world we live in. He's got the opportunity to release it as he wishes (well, atleast within the limitations of what he has to hand and what is possible under the circumstances), so that's what he's doing.

People need to accept that releasing what is available here in a 1.33.1 ratio results in no loss of picture, whereas cropping to a more typical ratio most definitely would. That's about that.
We're not a fan of lost images but you need to widen your angle of view. There are tons of articles about aspect ratios and the bottom line is we live more in a wide angle world and that's why filmakers shoot that way. Next time you go to any room in your house, simply take a look. The width of a room is usually wider than the height of your celiing. When you go outside, simply take a look, you see things more horizontally than you do vertically. Not Rocket Science. We purchased wide angle tvs and wide angle front protector screens. Consumers prefer it that way.

We're not a fan of lost images but you need to widen your angle of view. There are tons of articles about aspect ratios and the bottom line is we live more in a wide angle world and that's why filmakers shoot that way. Next time you go to any room in your house, simply take a look. The width of a room is usually wider than the height of your celiing. When you go outside, simply take a look, you see things more horizontally than you do vertically. Not Rocket Science. We purchased wide angle tvs and wide angle front protector screens. Consumers prefer it that way.
Yes mate, I'm not arguing with that. I'm well aware there are varying styles and artistic choices that can be made during the film making process. I'm not closed minded enough to think "it has to be full screen" or "IMAX" and that films should retain this aspect, not being adapted to the home cinema environment.

What I'm saying is.. In this particular instance, because of the way he shot the only source material he has, it HAS to be presented in this way. If it isn't and it's cropped, you'll be missing a third of the frame full of information that was meant to be seen. That's pretty much it, there's nothing to debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: willbar84
Yes mate, I'm not arguing with that. I'm well aware there are varying styles and artistic choices that can be made during the film making process. I'm not closed minded enough to think "it has to be full screen" or "IMAX" and that films should retain this aspect, not being adapted to the home cinema environment.

What I'm saying is.. In this particular instance, because of the way he shot the only source material he has, it HAS to be presented in this way. If it isn't and it's cropped, you'll be missing a third of the frame full of information that was meant to be seen. That's pretty much it, there's nothing to debate.
You're right about that and Amen to that. We can't be missing out on Gal Gadot's lower body being cropped out. We need to see it in it's entirety.

• Haha
Reactions: samdavies
My extended family has always had many fatsos. Therefore, we definitely see things more horizontally than vertically. So, unless the Justice League is obese, I just don't know about this release.

People aren’t allowed to express their opinions on aspect ratios now :rofl:

It’s all subjective but some very good points made above from @psychoscot @samdavies & @urbeenjammin

and as mentioned, artistic choices from directors differ all the time. I get for example why the lighthouse has the 1.19.1 aspect ratio because of intensity, to create a claustrophobic feel and to give the film an old school vibe as well as the black and white choice.
And psychoscot might be right, this might be the aspect ratio throughout just because it saved on cost because of the original raw footage Snyder had. But the other side of that argument is that we are kind of getting this as a gift, it’s never been done before where a film has been re released as the directors original vision with like 90% new material and 2 hours longer than the original theatrical release. With so much time spent fixing it, surely it would of been so expensive with the original costs WB spent on josstice league and then to redo this through HBO max. Incredibly expensive. And as he said he’s apparently not been paid for this. All whilst working on other projects and dealing with the death of his daughter. So maybe it was a cost issue that’s not being addressed by Snyder or maybe what he’s saying is the honest truth. Who knows.

I know I’ll find the apsect ratio frustrating at first (especially for a Modern superhero film) but I’m sure after the first hour I’ll get used to it. I’ve been looking forward for this for too long to let that get in the way.

Last edited:
If this style becomes a trend we may be shopping for new TV's at "Big & Tall" stores in the future.

Or maybe this will be the future.

If this style becomes a trend we may be shopping for new TV's at "Big & Tall" stores in the future.

Or maybe this will be the future.

pretty interesting but the vertical screen is really just for syncing/ mirroring your phone display to the TV. No different to turning your actual phone/iPad/ tablet on it’s side when watching YouTube etc

When you sync your phone (mirroring) to the tv it does look weird. Unless you actually stream from your phone then the screen changes to fit the TV

pretty interesting but the vertical screen is really just for syncing/ mirroring your phone display to the TV. No different to turning your actual phone/iPad/ tablet on it’s side when watching YouTube etc

When you sync your phone (mirroring) to the tv it does look weird. Unless you actually stream from your phone then the screen changes to fit the TV

Yes until "Tall" movies are more popular. Then they'll make something like this TV for those movies or just make TV's that are taller from top to bottom and narrower from left to right. Or maybe taller TV's with adjustable widths. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k and Flloydo
Yes until "Tall" movies are more popular. Then they'll make something like this TV for those movies or just make TV's that are taller from top to bottom and narrower from left to right. Or maybe taller TV's with adjustable widths. ;)

imagine lol

You are getting more footage with this aspect ratio. If it was widescreen, you'd still get horizontal black bars. But with this aspect ratio, yes you will get vertical black bars, except you will see more of the film. This is the exact aspect ratio I watched both Avengers Infinity War and Endgame in, and boy I would absolutely love to have this aspect ratio on physical media for those films. I'm actually interested to know what it is that you dislike about this aspect ratio

View attachment 498805
Completely agree, and I always wish Nolan films also get this treatment. 16:9 IMAX is NOT enough, we WANT 1.43!