Zavvi - Retailer chat [Europe]

Zavvi.jpg

**Retailer charges cards when items ship

Per update received at HDN, starting with August 4,2014 releases, Zavvi will ship in boxes again.

[email protected]

Possible contact #s:

- 08442 640702
- 01606 336169
- 08442 439088

Thanks yeslek!

Current packaging is a cardboard mailer with the steelbook usually wrapped in either a layer of bubble wrap or foam

Update 9/5/2013:

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=753977&postcount=1732

Current packaging-thanks dv8mad:

Previous packaging:

3/20/2013 Comparison of Play's old packaging to Zavvi's new packaging-thanks Zesty!

newpackage.jpg

14/03/2013 By Wreck:
I now have confirmation that I can announce ... for all those worried about future packaging from Zavvi. My Play contact has been working with zavvi as well on this mission for better packaging. Between the 3 of us and the future comments from this community after its in place I'm sure it will be go over well.
View attachment 29368
from the pick line ......... :thumbs:
foam inside

1/19/2013 Member Nyvo tweeted Zaavi about packaging concerns. They said they may be looking into alternate packaging methods.

Zavvi shipping international list:
Zavvi UK

Box update1- 1/7/2014

Box update 2-1/17//2014-we're told they have boxes again.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited by a moderator:
There are two type of shipments coming from ZAVVI. One is like Paul shown on his picture and that one will be delivered with no fees to you. Usually you can recognise these by getting shipped info with TRACKING. Rest is shipped as usual and no VAT paid and in that case you will pay to your customs all the fees but COPY that invoice and contact Zavvi via chat or msg and they will refund you what youve paid. Works in Croatia without a problem.

PS: yes sometimes customs are no so interested what is on the package and they see GBP and Yellow sticker and charge you automatically even you paid taxes and company is IOSS registered. In that case contact Zavvi again and ask for a refund.
I never got tracking, despite the fact that I choose it every time I ordered something, and then I had to go to their so called "customer support" to get refund for the higher cost of tracked shipping.

Tracked shipping was used by Zavvi on just few occasions, when I've ordered several items at once, and ONLY when not all of them were movies/SteelBooks. Otherwise, each and every time, Zavvi ships SteelBooks in their specific cardboard boxes for SteelBooks, and ALL THE TIME had the yellow sticker... and just sometimes (before this year) the packages went through customs.

And I can confirm, when tracked was included, I was received the items via couriers (for example, DPD, DHL, etc.), I was never asked to pay customs fees.
But in rest, with all the SteelBooks shipped individually, those all had the yellow label. And when I had been "hit by customs", I've never got a refund from the "dears" that reply to messages on their website, with the name of "customer service". So... I'm "hit" in every way possible, from every side possible.

I never got tracking, despite the fact that I choose it every time I ordered something, and then I had to go to their so called "customer support" to get refund for the higher cost of tracked shipping.

Tracked shipping was used by Zavvi on just few occasions, when I've ordered several items at once, and ONLY when not all of them were movies/SteelBooks. Otherwise, each and every time, Zavvi ships SteelBooks in their specific cardboard boxes for SteelBooks, and ALL THE TIME had the yellow sticker... and just sometimes (before this year) the packages went through customs.

And I can confirm, when tracked was included, I was received the items via couriers (for example, DPD, DHL, etc.), I was never asked to pay customs fees.
But in rest, with all the SteelBooks shipped individually, those all had the yellow label. And when I had been "hit by customs", I've never got a refund from the "dears" that reply to messages on their website, with the name of "customer service". So... I'm "hit" in every way possible, from every side possible.
it is time consuming but getting in touch and having refunded from Zavvi is the way to go at the moment.

Once IOSS and retailer HF Tarrif number is on parcel customs or postal carrier in a EU country should not be requesting vat payment from delivery address if value of order is €150 or less as vat has already been paid and is goods that don't have excise duty involved

IOSS is items shipped not tracked
My Dune order was not tracked item and vat amount was listed.
It was shipped from Guernsey standard post

It's very straight forward if cn23 label list IOSS vat is already paid when customer does an order with the retailer that uses IOSS

Revenue in the EU delivery country will receive that Vat payment from IOSS on a monthly basis

Tracked shipping is not IOSS in regards to Zavvi
For tracked items Zavvi pay the courier the vat themselves these parcels won't have IOSS

IOSS means Import One Stop Shop
They collect the vat from the retailer and then on a monthly basis pass that vat payment to revenue in the EU country item was shipped to

Once a parcel has IOSS listed and value of goods is €150 or less It should get automatic customs clearance and be delivered to customers delivery address
No request for vat payment should be done with customer at delivery address as IOSS provide revenue that payment

If a retailer fails to provide IOSS the vat payments they can have their IOSS registration removed.
Paul as you can see this clearly does not work yet in Romania and Croatia, also I've heard about the same issues from Belgium too.
Hopefully in following months they will sort this out.

Paul as you can see this clearly does not work yet in Romania and Croatia, also I've heard about the same issues from Belgium too.
Hopefully in following months they will sort this out.
All EU countries customs and revenue and postal carriers/couriers was given details in advance of July 1st 2021 the details about IOSS system and the new EU vat changes

IOSS and how it will work has been known about for a few years
I even posted details about it on HDN a few years ago

It was meant to start from January 1st but due to covid-19 was delayed until July 1st 2021

There is no excuse for customs or postal carrier in your country to not understand how IOSS works as they have known about it a long time
It's very simple revenue in your country receive vat payments from IOSS for goods with a value of €150 or less
Once a CN23 label has IOSS logo on it should be auto customs clearance

If a retailer fails to pass on the Vat payment to IOSS that will be dealt with by IOSS

The more retailers that register for IOSS the better it will be for online purchases and for customers

IOSS custums postal carriers in EU countries don't have to be looking for vat payment from delivery address when value of goods is €150 or less as IOSS system does it for them and revenue in each EU country gets a increase of vat revenue and also vat they previously was missing out on due the previous system of customs doing random checks on parcels

IOSS reduces customs and postal carriers their workload on millions of parcels sent each week in regards to previous system that was used freeing up their time to focus on goods with a value over €150

It's getting more on-line retailers and marketplace sellers to register for IOSS that will make this new system work

Last edited:
@paulboland it seems like ZAVVI is just putting IOSS logo on the package while actually it is a total scam. There is no IOSS number that customs can check if the VAT was really paid and it seems like in most cases it is not. I spoke to my customs and they couldn't identify their sale so they had to charge me VAT on top. This also explains that whenever you contact ZAVVI for refunding this they immediately say YES they will refund it with no question asked. They constantly play VAT games and it is seems like it is still the case. While some customs see logo and do not process, some guys are really checking... so it is all about how lucky you are. Unless they ship with TRACKING then all goes smooth. **** company indeed

@paulboland it seems like ZAVVI is just putting IOSS logo on the package while actually it is a total scam. There is no IOSS number that customs can check if the VAT was really paid and it seems like in most cases it is not. I spoke to my customs and they couldn't identify their sale so they had to charge me VAT on top. This also explains that whenever you contact ZAVVI for refunding this they immediately say YES they will refund it with no question asked. They constantly play VAT games and it is seems like it is still the case. While some customs see logo and do not process, some guys are really checking... so it is all about how lucky you are. Unless they ship with TRACKING then all goes smooth. **** company indeed
IOSS number is recorded electronically on each order with the postal carrier a retailer uses to ship a parcel
It's the postal carrier used to ship a parcel that provides info to customs
A retailer or marketplace seller is actually not meant to put their IOSS number on the parcel itself that should only be enterted on system electronically with the postal carrier you are using to ship parcel
It's important the order details as in vat amount etc and IOSS number is electronically entered on postal carrier system a retailer uses to ship a parcel
A baccode or a QR code should also be on the parcel that what is used by postal carrier in delivery country to check it on IOSS system
Some postal carriers use barcode or QR code

The label that has IOSS logo that only gets printed when IOSS number is entered on the system with postal carrier used to ship that parcel
Postal Carrier used then put info on the system

There has been a problem with some postal carrier in some countries checking a parcel on the system when it arrives in delivery country
It's affected a few retailers not just Zavvi
The issue is with the postal carrier used to ship the parcel not recording the details correctely but it's not affecting all countries for some reason

88 Films recently registered for IOSS also having issues they stopped shipping to EU for now due to them having a issue

I though not had any issues with An Post in my country their system auto scans one of the barcodes on my parcels to check parcel on system
On my parcels from Zavvi there is 3 different barcodes one is a sticker and other 2 are printed on parcel itself

It's one of those barcodes not sure which my postal carrier in Ireland scan when it arrives in Ireland

An post are checking parcels as customs in Ireland have increasing requesting people for vat on parcels that is not using IOSS
Tenant in my house regularly having to pay An Post online customs fees on Dodax orders these don't use IOSS

Reactions: Tompa
Zavvi and DODAX are playing games... Zavvi with those channel islands are playing games from the day one and Dodax with their HQ and warehouse in Switzerland, same as CEDE.com. Honestly im sick of it. Only Amazon.co.uk does it right since Brexit.

Reactions: Felix_ro
EU guys, does anyone have problem with getting refunded by ZAVVI for last 3-4 weeks? I have many VAT overcharge claims where they immediately confirmed that it will be refunded within 3-5 days and then nothing happens for weeks. I keep sending them reminders every 6/7 days when they always answer they they've paid but they didn't. I called the bank and no incoming transactions from Zavvi, just outgoing. This frustrates me as it is time consuming + now I have a pretty much big sum that they owe me.

Any advices?

• Informative
EU guys, does anyone have problem with getting refunded by ZAVVI for last 3-4 weeks? I have many VAT overcharge claims where they immediately confirmed that it will be refunded within 3-5 days and then nothing happens for weeks. I keep sending them reminders every 6/7 days when they always answer they they've paid but they didn't. I called the bank and no incoming transactions from Zavvi, just outgoing. This frustrates me as it is time consuming + now I have a pretty much big sum that they owe me.

Any advices?
One can get refunds from Zavvi ? News to me, how does that work, advice please ... paid plenty customs fees.

@Felix_ro - What was the funny part in my post ? I was serious ...
Oh, sorry I meant the icon next to that one
1634278526460.png

Fixed it now.
I actually want myself to know if there is a way to get REAL refunds and QUICK from Zavvi.

EDIT: In all fairness, I did got sometimes in the past, refunds from Zavvi, but mostly for the extra charge on the tracked shipping that they NEVER used for SteelBooks, so was just a matter of few GBP/EUR.

Reactions: Space Cadet
Is Zavvi still shipping items individually to Europe, so you need to pay a lot of postal fees for each item?
Usually they shipp individually, especially if we’re talking about Blu-Ray’s and SteelBooks in particular.
One “trick” would be to order several items at once, this way the shipping cost will be lower than ordering each item individually, but with the downfall that will cost more per total (charges are made just before dispatch, so Each item will be charged also individually, and some will have the shipping cost added), and if you want to cancel just one item (if you preorder some items), that would be pretty much impossible.

Hope this helps!

Usually they shipp individually, especially if we’re talking about Blu-Ray’s and SteelBooks in particular.
One “trick” would be to order several items at once, this way the shipping cost will be lower than ordering each item individually, but with the downfall that will cost more per total (charges are made just before dispatch, so Each item will be charged also individually, and some will have the shipping cost added), and if you want to cancel just one item (if you preorder some items), that would be pretty much impossible.

Hope this helps!
I have no issue paying the customs fee, but it’s DHL charging each item around €7 for their services. I wish Zavvi would just make 1 package.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
I have no issue paying the customs fee, but it’s DHL charging each item around €7 for their services. I wish Zavvi would just make 1 package.

Recently, Zavvi seems to have done away with shipping each SteelBook individually in their white SteelBook boxes to me If I pre-order more than 1 copy of the same SteelBook on the same order.

They have been shipping multiple copies of True Romance (slip version and non slip version), A Clockwork Orange (slip version) and even The Thing (just regular SteelBook, not in a slip) in a weak regular brown cardboard box (the cardboard is thinner than the cardboard used in the white boxes.)

I'm not a fan of this new shipping method because multiple SteelBooks are now arriving with dents in the same box. I never had a problem with dents when shipped individually in the white boxes.

Sometimes there are airbags and sometimes not. There wasn't any padding in the box with my copies of The Thing. Sometimes they even use a box that is too tall and so they cut the box down and fold the flaps down across each other and that becomes the top of the box and then they tape it up. The problem with that is now the top of the thin cardboard box is sitting right on top of the SteelBooks without any padding (no airbags or bubble wrap) so anything placed on top of the box (other packages) end up pressing the SteelBook down upon themselves.

My recent order of A Clockwork Orange SteelBooks with the hard slips were shipped in 1 box which actually included bubble-wrap inside the top, bottom and sides of the box. That's a first for me. Actual bubble-wrap, not airbags.

Anyway that's my experience with my last 3 orders.

Anybody out there ordering 2 or more copies of the same SteelBook recently still receiving them individually in the white boxes?

Recently, Zavvi seems to have done away with shipping each SteelBook individually in their white SteelBook boxes to me If I pre-order more than 1 copy of the same SteelBook on the same order.

They have been shipping multiple copies of True Romance (slip version and non slip version), A Clockwork Orange (slip version) and even The Thing (just regular SteelBook, not in a slip) in a weak regular brown cardboard box (the cardboard is thinner than the cardboard used in the white boxes.)

I'm not a fan of this new shipping method because multiple SteelBooks are now arriving with dents in the same box. I never had a problem with dents when shipped individually in the white boxes.

Sometimes there are airbags and sometimes not. There wasn't any padding in the box with my copies of The Thing. Sometimes they even use a box that is too tall and so they cut the box down and fold the flaps down across each other and that becomes the top of the box and then they tape it up. The problem with that is now the top of the thin cardboard box is sitting right on top of the SteelBooks without any padding (no airbags or bubble wrap) so anything placed on top of the box (other packages) end up pressing the SteelBook down upon themselves.

My recent order of A Clockwork Orange SteelBooks with the hard slips were shipped in 1 box which actually included bubble-wrap inside the top, bottom and sides of the box. That's a first for me. Actual bubble-wrap, not airbags.

Anyway that's my experience with my last 3 orders.

Anybody out there ordering 2 or more copies of the same SteelBook recently still receiving them individually in the white boxes?
there are a lot of supply issues in the Uk at the moment, and i'd read that cardboard is delayed or low in stock for many companies. they may be using whatever they can get their hands on currently. i have received jiffy bags, white boxes for individual steels, and brown boxes with multiples recently, and they were all for different releases.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
Looks like Zavvi are trying a new underhanded tactic. I just tried to cancel a preorder, only to be told that because I used a discount code, and that one item had shipped, the preorder item could not be cancelled.

The shipped item?

Their free digital magazine that gets added to orders automatically and can't be removed, which counts as shipped the moment you place the order.

Looks like Zavvi are trying a new underhanded tactic. I just tried to cancel a preorder, only to be told that because I used a discount code, and that one item had shipped, the preorder item could not be cancelled.

The shipped item?

Their free digital magazine that gets added to orders automatically and can't be removed, which counts as shipped the moment you place the order.

For future reference, you can remove the free item from your cart before placing the order to avoid this situation.