#025 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (4K+2D Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 18, 2022
Release date: January 22, 2024
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £24.99

Batman v Superman.jpg

f19b4f2c-58b8-47f8-9c22-cc3b1aeaee86.jpg de90d187-51f3-4c0f-991f-a3342883dfda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy it includes the imax version.
Might whack it on tonight. Personally I like the steel. And the same for V

Im missing about 6/7 Mondos but a few of them I’m not interested in anyway. Either not interested (Rad) or don’t like the art (300 & justice league).

Wow that is a surprise
Yeah I was surprised when I heard about it too. I mean it would make sense for that to become "the" disc now though, once stock of the older one had run out. It's like that with most discs, once a regraded or remastered edition goes into circulation.

Started watching this last night. Got 2 hours in (just before the main fight). I wasn’t aware it matched the Zack Snyder Justice league ratio. I thought 1.43:1 was full screen imax. Anyway it don’t bother me, you get used to it like with ZSJL and other films like the lighthouse etc however, so far it's only the opening scene for like 3/4 mins and then it don’t go back to the imax ratio for another 65 minutes! The knightmare scene is the next imax ratio! Lol. Bit poor imo.

I’m convinced the picture is better throughout the whole film which is a plus but the whole imax ratio extra footage thing is pretty sh!t so far. Hoping the final hour is more of it or at the very least the main fight, warehouse fight and doomsday fight. Won’t be able to finish it until tomorrow night to find out.

Started watching this last night. Got 2 hours in (just before the main fight). I wasn’t aware it matched the Zack Snyder Justice league ratio. I thought 1.43:1 was full screen imax. Anyway it don’t bother me, you get used to it like with ZSJL and other films like the lighthouse etc however, so far it's only the opening scene for like 3/4 mins and then it don’t go back to the imax ratio for another 65 minutes! The knightmare scene is the next imax ratio! Lol. Bit poor imo.

I’m convinced the picture is better throughout the whole film which is a plus but the whole imax ratio extra footage thing is pretty sh!t so far. Hoping the final hour is more of it or at the very least the main fight, warehouse fight and doomsday fight. Won’t be able to finish it until tomorrow night to find out.
Yeah, it's 1.43:1 (which is full imax, depending on the theatre), not the typical home equivalent of 1.78:1 for imax scenes. It adds plenty of extra image info though, slightly less than ZSJL at 1.33:1 (which was too tall imo), so I was happy to have it.

The image quality is definitely better throughout. The original disc's colour & HDR grading wasn't right, so zack corrected it.

The warehouse fight is in imax btw, the doomsday fight is not.

Reactions: Flloydo
Yeah, it's 1.43:1 (which is full imax, depending on the theatre), not the typical home equivalent of 1.78:1 for imax scenes. It adds plenty of extra image info though, slightly less than ZSJL at 1.33:1 (which was too tall imo), so I was happy to have it.

I thought imax scenes means full screen. All films I’ve seen with imax ratio has been full screen. Or like Nolan’s goes in and out etc. So I’m guessing the square pic like ZSJL was a choice by Snyder. It adds extra image to the top and bottom parts but takes away the wide screen so you can argue you gain image but also loose as much on the sides. I don’t get it it personally. I wish his JL was full screen imax because you loose so much on the sides but hey ho. I’m terrible with aspect ratios anyway, no matter how many times I try to learn what’s what I never remember.
The image quality is definitely better throughout. The original disc's colour & HDR grading wasn't right, so zack corrected it.
I hate the original picture grading. Puts me off the film. This is so much better. Only grainy scene so far is the opening Lois Lane scene. Which was the worst in the original version too. It’s a bit better in the new version compared to the original
The warehouse fight is in imax btw, the doomsday fight is not.
Ah ok. That’s a shame. Was hoping the main BvS fight would be too. Just so I can see some new image but I think I prefer it in widescreen anyway

Still worth it for the disc because it’s such a better version colour and grading wise

I thought imax scenes means full screen. All films I’ve seen with imax ratio has been full screen. Or like Nolan’s goes in and out etc. So I’m guessing the square pic like ZSJL was a choice by Snyder. It adds extra image to the top and bottom parts but takes away the wide screen so you can argue you gain image but also loose as much on the sides. I don’t get it it personally. I wish his JL was full screen imax because you loose so much on the sides but hey ho. I’m terrible with aspect ratios anyway, no matter how many times I try to learn what’s what I never remember.

I hate the original picture grading. Puts me off the film. This is so much better. Only grainy scene so far is the opening Lois Lane scene. Which was the worst in the original version too. It’s a bit better in the new version compared to the original

Ah ok. That’s a shame. Was hoping the main BvS fight would be too. Just so I can see some new image but I think I prefer it in widescreen anyway
I get why you'd think that about imax, as that's what's typical for home video. Imax scenes just mean the scenes that were filmed for imax, with the expanded aspect ratio. That ratio does vary by film and presentation though.

Take the dark knight for example.. in imax theatres they were 1.43:1 (70mm) and 1.90:1 (Digital). So the 70mm 1.43:1 is actually "full frame", it was cropped for digital, and cropped further again for standard 35mm at 2.39:1.

The home video presentation is 1.78:1, so that's not full frame either, it's cropped, but it is "full screen" for a standard widescreen tv or projector.

BvS is essentially the same example as the above, expect zack didn't crop the imax scenes, and left them at the full frame 1.43:1. The PR spin was to sync it with ZSJL, but god knows if it was zack's choice, or a WB cost/time restraint.

Other films, say Endgame for example. Their full frame imax shot was 1.90:1. I'd assume probably because it was digital, and not a 70mm print like TDK or BvS. The D+ presentation of that is 1.78:1 throughout, so they've just slightly cropped it at the sides for home viewing, instead of top/bottom for 70mm.

Yeah I much prefer the new grading too. The old one looked so drab, and gave the impression of poor quality.

Oh, no. The BvS fight, that kicks off on the rooftop, is imax. That's what I thought you meant by the warehouse. If you mean going to save martha, that's not imax from memory. Neither is the doomsday fight, which did disappoint me.

Reactions: Flloydo
So finished it last night, it’s literally 3 scenes with the imax ratio. Opening credits, knightmare and the BvS main fight.

I’m sure there was one other scene but it wasn’t as long as the other 3 and can’t remember what it was now. So imo it’s poor in that respect but it’s a huge step up on the picture as a whole.

Reactions: samdavies
So finished it last night, it’s literally 3 scenes with the imax ratio. Opening credits, knightmare and the BvS main fight.

I’m sure there was one other scene but it wasn’t as long as the other 3 and can’t remember what it was now. So imo it’s poor in that respect but it’s a huge step up on the picture as a whole.
The last ten-ish minutes with the funeral are in IMAX too.

Damn. I jumped on the Mondo train far too late and trying to do it now would just cost a fortune.
Well 4 of those 7 I’m not interested in anyway because of the art. Or the film.

•Ex_Machina - came to terms I won’t own this anyway
•Highlander - had a few opportunities for around the £30 mark so I know I’ll eventually pick it up
•The Exorcist - still want but haven’t looked in ages
•Justice league - not interested unless I see it dirt cheap
•300 - not interested unless I see it dirt cheap
•RAD - not interested
•Blade runner - don’t like the art and not interested in the prices anyway

Reactions: JinxyKatte

•Highlander - had a few opportunities for around the £30 mark so I know I’ll eventually pick it up
•RAD - not interested
I mean those are perfectly valid reasons to not get. But if I was that close to getting them all I think I would just say bollocks to it and get them lol. Is the Exmachina really expensive~?

•RAD - not interested

The Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steel? Your uncle Tommy has one of those he'll sell you at a good price :naughty:

The Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steel? Your uncle Tommy has one of those he'll sell you at a good price :naughty:
I’ve never been keen on the art, but do love the film. I’ll talk to you about it later