10 Cloverfield Lane - In theaters March 11, 2016

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Valencia (2016)

Genre: [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Dan Trachtenberg[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Mary Elizabeth Winstead[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Goodman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Gallagher Jr.[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Maya Erskine[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Douglas M. Griffin[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Cindy Hogan[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2016-03-11[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Waking up from a car accident, a young woman finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
LargePosters
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

From IMDb:
Waking up from a car accident, a young woman finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable.

cloverfield-slice-600x200.jpg

VALENCIA revealed to be 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE ... From Collider.com, January 14th, 2016:

In 2014, news broke that filmmaker Dan Trachtenbergwho helmed the short filmPortal: No Escapewould be directing a post-apocalyptic thriller called Valencia(also referred to as The Cellar) for Bad Robot and Paramount Insurge, produced byJ.J. Abrams. While it’s true that the film is a post-apocalyptic thriller and was produced by Abrams, it appears that the Star Wars: The Force Awakens director has pulled another fast one on us—the movie’s actual title is 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Yes indeed, it appears as though that long-talked-about sequel to the secretive Abrams-produced 2008 film Cloverfield is not only happening, it’s already in the can. Abrams is taking the exact same marketing approach to this film as he did withCloverfield, as a Collider reader who caught an east coast screening of Paramount’s13 Hours hipped us to the news that the teaser trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane is attached to Michael Bay’s Benghazi film. Surprise!

We subsequently reached out to Paramount Pictures for comment, who provided Collider with this exclusive statement from J.J. Abrams himself:

The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.

The film stars John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher, Jr. and when we previously spoke with Winstead while she was promoting her indie Faults, she told us the story revolves around a woman who wakes up in a cellar where she’s being kept by a stranger, played by Goodman. The actress previously elaborated a bit on the plot by saying the following:

He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.

Now that we know the title of the film, this “post-apocalyptic” setting appears to make much more sense, but how exactly it ties to Cloverfield remains unknown. Abrams tells us it’s a “blood relative”, which seems to suggest that the movie isn’t a direct sequel to Cloverfield but instead takes place within the same universe. Clearly it’s not found footage so it’s taking a different visual style than the Matt Reeves-directed original, but is it set within the New York City area? And how long after the events of Cloverfield does it pick up? That’s all unclear, but seeing as how the first trailer is set to arrive imminently, I’m sure we’ll have plenty more questions once that’s officially released.

Luckily, we don’t have to wait long at all to see the film. 10 Cloverfield Lane is set to hit theaters on March 11th.

What do you think, folks? 8 years later, are you still eager for another Cloverfield story? Sound off in the comments below.

Trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to see this today with @tridon and @ran94!
Won't go into any spoilers... But I went in not really sure what to expect and I think that was half the fun of it.
Had a few jumps and scares and creepy moments... And the movie wasn't half bad either! Zing! haha :rofl:

j/k It was great meeting you guys.

:hilarious:

It was great meeting you, too, man. Had a lot of fun meeting both you and Steve! You both have lovely wives, too. My wife couldn't stop laughing about how we were both complaining about bilingual spines on our Blu-ray shelves. She said it sounded just like me when you were complaining about it. :LOL:

Anyway, I wasn't quite sure what to think after seeing 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE. It really does seem like two different films combined together, yet both of those films are very good. The entire first 3/4 of the film...
that takes place inside the bunker is excellent! John Goodman is perfectly creepy and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is just as great as usual! I was even pleasantly surprised by John Gallagher, Jr. who, as Emmett, was actually my favourite character in the film. And if Michelle's boyfriend on the phone at the beginning sounds familiar, check out those end credits to find out it was a nice little cameo by a pretty big star.

As for the last 1/4 of the film, it was quite suspenseful. The creature design was interesting and there was a little bit of a SIGNS feel to it all due to the cornfield. When Michelle first stands up on the truck and sees an extraterrestrial spacecraft flying around, I was surprised. I was really expecting to see another big monster (not necessarily Clover, but another big monster), but instead we get aliens. It threw me for a loop. I know this is a spin-off and not a sequel to CLOVERFIELD, but now it'll be weird to watch the original film knowing that somewhere else, there's aliens flying around.

By the way, when the big spacecraft starts to lift Michelle and the truck, there's definitely something that looks like a massive mouth at the bottom of that spacecraft. Is it just me or does that kind of look like Clover? So now is it safe to assume that in CLOVERFIELD, rather than coming from the depths of the ocean, Clover was actually dropped off by aliens? And rather than us believing that Clover is looking for its mother, it's actually looking for the aliens that dropped it off?! It's great to have a new instalment in the franchise, but now there's even more unanswered questions!

All-in-all, I definitely liked 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, but I somewhat feel like it should've just stayed VALENCIA instead of becoming a forced entry into the CLOVERFIELD universe. That's just my two cents. Hopefully we get a third film now that connects the two films.

Also, I have to say, as much as people were probably laughing at @nefilim's post above about the mirrored images, it actually makes a lot of sense now after watching the new film.
The first film's poster looks like a giant monster standing over the city when mirrored. The second film's poster looks like some sort of being floating over the farmhouse when mirrored. When combined, it's the floating being over top of the big monster, showing that the monster came from above. It's definitely another clever marketing ploy by the CLOVERFIELD team. Thanks for posting that, @nefilim!

@kaw I know what you mean Kris! :banghead: Seeing @tridon in the flesh :ohno:... almost makes you want to stab your eyes out! :pain: :dead:
American-Horror-Story-Coven-eye-stab.gif

:rofl: Just kidding Ken! :emb: :D :p

That's awesome you all met and got to see this film, any pics from the meet? :photo: :thumbs:

:rofl: Damn, Franky -- you nuts!!! :p

Sadly, no photos were taken of the entire group together. @kaw made me sign an agreement beforehand that I would not release his image on to the forums. He's very, very secretive. Little does he know that I signed someone else's name, though, and I was actually able to snap a shot of just him while we were leaving the theatre...

-michael-jackson-michael-jackson-22462034-404-542.jpg

It was great meeting you, too, man. Had a lot of fun meeting both you and Steve! You both have lovely wives, too. My wife couldn't stop laughing about how we were both complaining about bilingual spines on our Blu-ray shelves. She said it sounded just like me when you were complaining about it. :LOL:

Anyway, I wasn't quite sure what to think after seeing 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE. It really does seem like two different films combined together, yet both of those films are very good. The entire first 3/4 of the film...
that takes place inside the bunker is excellent! John Goodman is perfectly creepy and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is just as great as usual! I was even pleasantly surprised by John Gallagher, Jr. who, as Emmett, was actually my favourite character in the film. And if Michelle's boyfriend on the phone at the beginning sounds familiar, check out those end credits to find out it was a nice little cameo by a pretty big star.

As for the last 1/4 of the film, it was quite suspenseful. The creature design was interesting and there was a little bit of a SIGNS feel to it all due to the cornfield. When Michelle first stands up on the truck and sees an extraterrestrial spacecraft flying around, I was surprised. I was really expecting to see another big monster (not necessarily Clover, but another big monster), but instead we get aliens. It threw me for a loop. I know this is a spin-off and not a sequel to CLOVERFIELD, but now it'll be weird to watch the original film knowing that somewhere else, there's aliens flying around.

By the way, when the big spacecraft starts to lift Michelle and the truck, there's definitely something that looks like a massive mouth at the bottom of that spacecraft. Is it just me or does that kind of look like Clover? So now is it safe to assume that in CLOVERFIELD, rather than coming from the depths of the ocean, Clover was actually dropped off by aliens? And rather than us believing that Clover is looking for its mother, it's actually looking for the aliens that dropped it off?! It's great to have a new instalment in the franchise, but now there's even more unanswered questions!

All-in-all, I definitely liked 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, but I somewhat feel like it should've just stayed VALENCIA instead of becoming a forced entry into the CLOVERFIELD universe. That's just my two cents. Hopefully we get a third film now that connects the two films.

Also, I have to say, as much as people were probably laughing at @nefilim's post above about the mirrored images, it actually makes a lot of sense now after watching the new film.
The first film's poster looks like a giant monster standing over the city when mirrored. The second film's poster looks like some sort of being floating over the farmhouse when mirrored. When combined, it's the floating being over top of the big monster, showing that the monster came from above. It's definitely another clever marketing ploy by the CLOVERFIELD team. Thanks for posting that, @nefilim!

Sadly, no photos were taken of the entire group together. @kaw made me sign an agreement beforehand that I would not release his image on to the forums. He's very, very secretive. Little does he know that I signed someone else's name, though, and I was actually able to snap a shot of just him while we were leaving the theatre...

I'm glad you had a good time with the others.
I'm going to have to come back to your post and read spoilers after I've seen it

And personally I never laughed at @nefilim post because I had seen all that before and the cloverfield images was about a few years ago but I've always liked what JJ and team does to posters

@tridon DANG IT KEN!!!! How'd you get that photo of me!? I was so careful!
It all honesty it would have been fun to take a photo. totally didn't cross my mind! Oh well. next time. haha

Quick thought on the film:
One thing that is a tad confusing is if this is related to the first Cloverfield film. This takes place in current day (We know this because of the iphone she uses). So then this would have happened years after the events of the first film. Knowledge of an alien creature would have been already know and stuff right?

It all honesty it would have been fun to take a photo. totally didn't cross my mind! Oh well. next time. haha

One thing that is a tad confusing is if this is related to the first Cloverfield film. This takes place in current day (We know this because of the iphone she uses). So then this would have happened years after the events of the first film. Knowledge of an alien creature would have been already know and stuff right?

Yeah, man... didn't even cross my mind! We'll definitely take a photo at the new group outing.

As for your thoughts...

This film was never intended to be a Cloverfield spin-off, so I think the whole iPhone vs. flip phones from the first film is something that the producers are hoping viewers will ignore. I'm just both films are taking place during the same time period.

Okay so I've just seen it and loved it and I agree with you ken it feels like 2 different films but here's what I have to say

Love the first 3 quarters and everyone was great. The scene where his body is still dissolving is messed up.
All 3 characters were great and Goodman was awesome at creepy
Some of the things he says and the way he is with MEW.

Now I had a feeling it was going to be aliens but I find it weird there is no mention of the New York incident.

Also I never stayed for the credits but that proper sounded like Bradley cooper as her BF

Again what you say Ken it did feel like signs in that field and I jumped up in my seat when you see the spaceship plus Howard mentions Martians and emmet says about space worms

I also thought the mouth in the spaceship was Clovie esque, BUT from what I understand with this and cloverfield this ARG is that thing dropping at the end of cloverfield was a sattelite belonging to one of the companies with the oil rigs and possibly monitoring Clovie (who was growing off of the seabed nectar used in slusho drinks (what they was drinking in this)) but also with Howard's job working with sattelites and the current ARG suggests we knew about the Martians (like he did in the film) and this is completely seperate to the cloverfield monster. I think it's a world where we have had a giant monster (possibly alien or more ancient to earth fed on super seaweed) and we also have aliens as another threat. But also the cloverfield could of been an alien and got bigger on earth after eating sea nectar and if that was a type of Clovie in that spaceship then it was a lot smaller but like you say they could be searching for it. Personally I think they were harvesting the world or something and not looking for Clovie as the vessels were too small for it and they were searching in places where it would stand out like a sore thumb whereas these like Howard's suggested looked like they were picking off remaining human things.

I like the theory that Clovie was looking for its mother and as it was mentioned by director and JJ it is a baby But I think it's just confused stomping around New York and it still came from the ocean (for years though i did think it dropped from the sky, but my opinion has chnaged)

@kaw it's definately present day becuase in the ARG goodmans character Howard has been updating present worldly issues plus his final message was the day this came out to the person who found Megan's phone with Goodman saying it's too late it's begun but I find it weird that even when explaining stuff to Michelle he don't say "well there was monster in New York" and it's definately in that world because of the ARG and all the same companies cropping up but even in that and Howard being paranoid about conspiracy theories he don't mention Clovie.
Also the letter she finds is a company from cloverfield too.

I said it before but if new York did happen and they levelled it at the end I think Apple would still be about in this world and release iPhones.

Also from the ARG we know about him wanting his daughter Megan so I found that interesting about the girl Britney who went missing who I'm assuming Howard did kidnap, try to manipulate and pretend she was Megan until he killed her after she tried to escape and get help. When he shoots emmet he starts saying we can finally be together so as some thought before the film including myself he thinks Michelle is his new daughter in his twisted but real fantasy.

Also we know he crashed into her but if you remember the start that's clearly him sitting in his truck (you see the hands clenching like he does at dinner in the mirror) so he definately ran her off the road on purpose. I really liked Howard's character even as evil as he is becuase he was clearly crazy but he was right about the world too. He just wanted to take care of his daughter but at any cost and it went too far hense kidnapping a child, and then Michelle and the only reason emmet is there because he fought his way in. He was trying to create some messed up fantasy of looking after his daughter and the chemical threat in the air and possible invasion was perfect timing. I'm assuming Britney died not long ago due to the stain in the ceiling and him wanting to take care of another girl and also explains why he tried reaching out to his actual daughter when the ARG started. Maybe Britney was killed just before then. It's creepy the way he's trying to control her at dinner and before and reacting to emmet getting on with her and finally getting used to him because he had to but it wasn't the plan. He's a messed up guy especially when it's not going his way and also his history with everything he knows is going to make him messed up and then added cabin fever.

But my opinion is its a world that had a monster attack and now aliens but nothing to do with each other
Also JJ once stated he wanted to create a world like Godzilla with things from all over the place like monsters and aliens

Apparently director or JJ has said its the same universe but different timeline so to me it still says cloverfield in New York happened 7 or 8 years ago. That's the only thing that bothers me - no mention other than that I thought the film was awesome

The ARG will most likely continue like cloverfield a did after the film so hopefully we see a clearer link or more info on certain things or if certain governments knew about aliens at the time of Clovie etc

Last edited:
One other thing

There was a scene missing that they keep playing on uk tv spots and probably the trailer
The scene where she goes to escape and that woman is outside in the trailer you see a shadow and hear a bang and Michelle and Howard both look up at whatever has taken her. But in the film the woman outside is banging her head on the bunker window and then it cuts to Michelle laying on her mattress.
I wonder if there is a deleted scene where she gets taken by one of them tentacles from the ship but it's fast so you don't really see it but freaks Michelle and Howard out and it also confirms to them there's something out there

Also the tentacle did look a bit like a Clovie leg at first

Okay so I've just seen it and loved it and I agree with you ken it feels like 2 different films but here's what I have to say

Love the first 3 quarters and everyone was great. The scene where his body is still dissolving is messed up.
All 3 characters were great and Goodman was awesome at creepy
Some of the things he says and the way he is with MEW.

Now I had a feeling it was going to be aliens but I find it weird there is no mention of the New York incident.

Also I never stayed for the credits but that proper sounded like Bradley cooper as her BF

Again what you say Ken it did feel like signs in that field and I jumped up in my seat when you see the spaceship plus Howard mentions Martians and emmet says about space worms

I also thought the mouth in the spaceship was Clovie esque, BUT from what I understand with this and cloverfield this ARG is that thing dropping at the end of cloverfield was a sattelite belonging to one of the companies with the oil rigs and possibly monitoring Clovie (who was growing off of the seabed nectar used in slusho drinks (what they was drinking in this)) but also with Howard's job working with sattelites and the current ARG suggests we knew about the Martians (like he did in the film) and this is completely seperate to the cloverfield monster. I think it's a world where we have had a giant monster (possibly alien or more ancient to earth fed on super seaweed) and we also have aliens as another threat. But also the cloverfield could of been an alien and got bigger on earth after eating sea nectar and if that was a type of Clovie in that spaceship then it was a lot smaller but like you say they could be searching for it. Personally I think they were harvesting the world or something and not looking for Clovie as the vessels were too small for it and they were searching in places where it would stand out like a sore thumb whereas these like Howard's suggested looked like they were picking off remaining human things.

I like the theory that Clovie was looking for its mother and as it was mentioned by director and JJ it is a baby But I think it's just confused stomping around New York and it still came from the ocean (for years though i did think it dropped from the sky, but my opinion has chnaged)

@kaw it's definately present day becuase in the ARG goodmans character Howard has been updating present worldly issues plus his final message was the day this came out to the person who found Megan's phone with Goodman saying it's too late it's begun but I find it weird that even when explaining stuff to Michelle he don't say "well there was monster in New York" and it's definately in that world because of the ARG and all the same companies cropping up but even in that and Howard being paranoid about conspiracy theories he don't mention Clovie.
Also the letter she finds is a company from cloverfield too.

I said it before but if new York did happen and they levelled it at the end I think Apple would still be about in this world and release iPhones.

Also from the ARG we know about him wanting his daughter Megan so I found that interesting about the girl Britney who went missing who I'm assuming Howard did kidnap, try to manipulate and pretend she was Megan until he killed her after she tried to escape and get help. When he shoots emmet he starts saying we can finally be together so as some thought before the film including myself he thinks Michelle is his new daughter in his twisted but real fantasy.

Also we know he crashed into her but if you remember the start that's clearly him sitting in his truck (you see the hands clenching like he does at dinner in the mirror) so he definately ran her off the road on purpose. I really liked Howard's character even as evil as he is becuase he was clearly crazy but he was right about the world too. He just wanted to take care of his daughter but at any cost and it went too far hense kidnapping a child, and then Michelle and the only reason emmet is there because he fought his way in. He was trying to create some messed up fantasy of looking after his daughter and the chemical threat in the air and possible invasion was perfect timing. I'm assuming Britney died not long ago due to the stain in the ceiling and him wanting to take care of another girl and also explains why he tried reaching out to his actual daughter when the ARG started. Maybe Britney was killed just before then. It's creepy the way he's trying to control her at dinner and before and reacting to emmet getting on with her and finally getting used to him because he had to but it wasn't the plan. He's a messed up guy especially when it's not going his way and also his history with everything he knows is going to make him messed up and then added cabin fever.

But my opinion is its a world that had a monster attack and now aliens but nothing to do with each other
Also JJ once stated he wanted to create a world like Godzilla with things from all over the place like monsters and aliens

Apparently director or JJ has said its the same universe but different timeline so to me it still says cloverfield in New York happened 7 or 8 years ago. That's the only thing that bothers me - no mention other than that I thought the film was awesome

The ARG will most likely continue like cloverfield a did after the film so hopefully we see a clearer link or more info on certain things or if certain governments knew about aliens at the time of Clovie etc

There is no connection between the two movies, really.
When JJ says "a blood relative", he means they share a same aesthetic. Like the Twilight Zone episodes share a blood relation. There is absolutely no way you get locked in a bunker with a some people who say something horrific has ocurred, and no one would immediately say "well, remember New York in 2008?" That would be the FIRST thing mentioned.
No. This is a totally different universe. (they're having fun using some of the same company names, but it means nothing). "Cloverfield" means an anthology of films similar in tone and approach.

There is no connection between the two movies, really.
When JJ says "a blood relative", he means they share a same aesthetic. Like the Twilight Zone episodes share a blood relation. There is absolutely no way you get locked in a bunker with a some people who say something horrific has ocurred, and no one would immediately say "well, remember New York in 2008?" That would be the FIRST thing mentioned.
No. This is a totally different universe. (they're having fun using some of the same company names, but it means nothing). "Cloverfield" means an anthology of films similar in tone and approach.

Yeah I understand that but they made these comments after the film was released in the US saying it's the same universe but different timeline or whatever (I don't mean the blood relative comments) and now since my last post and leaving the cinema I've read more into these comments and the twilight thing and anthology which him and the director are now saying which I'm cool with and I do like the idea by the way BUT the same companies still tells me it's in the same world as Clovie happening in 2008 or whenever. I get JJ uses slusho in his films like also in super 8, that's cool. It's a brand like Tarantino does with his cigarettes (which although was speculation even he has come out and says all his films happen in the same world) but the whole ARG has directed the same companies in our direction (and in the the film on the letter she finds - which to me is the only connection in the film to cloverfield) but unless you know about Howard's past and work from the ARG you wouldn't have a clue what that letter means.
But the other thing is the sattelite named chimpanzee11 or whatever its called, it's the same sattelite for both films in the ARG (and I'm guessing what falls down at the end of cloverfield) so that bugs me because to me it tells me both events have happened in the same world regardless of what JJ and the director are saying.
I would love to see a third film in the Clovie twighlight zone anthology world and there's word on JJ has commented on the tying both films together or to carry on where this one leaves off or even a proper cloverfield 2 so at the moment I think they don't really know and the ARG can easily continue to and make more sense of the background.

After Clovie not being mentioned in the ARG I had a feeling we wouldn't get a mention in the film and like you say it's the first thing someone would say in her position of being kept in a bunker (which is where I was hoping it would get mentioned) but these new comments about same universe and different timelines came after the film was out. And I still don't understand that comment. Surely that means it happened but years apart. That's what a different timeline is?!!
If it was a parallel universe like the idea of there is another you but he/she could be richer or poorer but no matter if something big or bad happens to you in one world soemthing still happens to the same person in another world but could be for better or for worse. So if it is this whole twighlight thing then I see it as in one universe/ world a monster attacked the earth in 2008 and in the other universe there was no monster but a few years later it was (the threat in this film) If you get what I mean.
Which could (in my head) explain why it's the same companies but they might not have the same history as the Clovie world where one was harvesting seabed nectar and the other was a research company who Howard worked for in this film after his navy years. In this film they might not have been as sinister as the ARG suggested they was for the first film

but aspects of the alien like @tridon said has features of Clovie like the mouth and the tentacle at one point straightend out looked like a Clovie leg even though they are unrelated (for now)
I'm not sure but I did really enjoy this and I'll keep an eye out on other info that might crop up

I'm not sure but I did really enjoy this and I'll keep an eye out on other info that might crop up

Did you enjoy it @C.C. 95 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Just got back from watching this.....
John Goodman officially freaks the **** out of me!!!

Did you enjoy it mate? What did you think?

One thing I just remembered. How good and creepy is the Santa clause scene? He misses his daughter so much and wants to live out a crazy fantasy of a new girl as his daughter he forgets Michelle is a woman and not a girl or princess like he's got in his head!!!
Also was very intense because you think he knows but then hilarious when he says about the point and keeping it lol and she goes "yeah of course you earned it" lol

And then a shaven Howard with ice cream lol man it gave me shivers. He played it so well

Did you enjoy it mate? What did you think?

One thing I just remembered. How good and creepy is the Santa clause scene? He misses his daughter so much and wants to live out a crazy fantasy of a new girl as his daughter he forgets Michelle is a woman and not a girl or princess like he's got in his head!!!
Also was very intense because you think he knows but then hilarious when he says about the point and keeping it lol and she goes "yeah of course you earned it" lol

And then a shaven Howard with ice cream lol man it gave me shivers. He played it so well

Really enjoyed it, really didn't know what to expect going in as I tried my best to stay away from anything to do with it.

Reactions: Flloydo
Really enjoyed it, really didn't know what to expect going in as I tried my best to stay away from anything to do with it.

Lol stayed away from me then lol

Nah tbh I stayed away from the original script, and had my own theories and read a few that inspired more to my theories.

And in the game it's only Howard's back story that we kind of know of and Megan and her mother leaving him. I was only updating with the findings on here incase anyone was interested. Plus I was getting excited at the possibility of seeing the Clovie monster again lol

All I knew that something weird/ big or mental would happen when she leaves the bunker but even though I had a feeling it was aliens it still shocked me.
Also the main trailer threw me (like it should lol) about the chronology of events that happen. Like her trying to escape and seeing the lady outside happening quite early on etc.

Glad you enjoyed it

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Yeah I understand that but they made these comments after the film was released in the US saying it's the same universe but different timeline or whatever (I don't mean the blood relative comments) and now since my last post and leaving the cinema I've read more into these comments and the twilight thing and anthology which him and the director are now saying which I'm cool with and I do like the idea by the way BUT the same companies still tells me it's in the same world as Clovie happening in 2008 or whenever. I get JJ uses slusho in his films like also in super 8, that's cool. It's a brand like Tarantino does with his cigarettes (which although was speculation even he has come out and says all his films happen in the same world) but the whole ARG has directed the same companies in our direction (and in the the film on the letter she finds - which to me is the only connection in the film to cloverfield) but unless you know about Howard's past and work from the ARG you wouldn't have a clue what that letter means.
But the other thing is the sattelite named chimpanzee11 or whatever its called, it's the same sattelite for both films in the ARG (and I'm guessing what falls down at the end of cloverfield) so that bugs me because to me it tells me both events have happened in the same world regardless of what JJ and the director are saying.
I would love to see a third film in the Clovie twighlight zone anthology world and there's word on JJ has commented on the tying both films together or to carry on where this one leaves off or even a proper cloverfield 2 so at the moment I think they don't really know and the ARG can easily continue to and make more sense of the background.

After Clovie not being mentioned in the ARG I had a feeling we wouldn't get a mention in the film and like you say it's the first thing someone would say in her position of being kept in a bunker (which is where I was hoping it would get mentioned) but these new comments about same universe and different timelines came after the film was out. And I still don't understand that comment. Surely that means it happened but years apart. That's what a different timeline is?!!
If it was a parallel universe like the idea of there is another you but he/she could be richer or poorer but no matter if something big or bad happens to you in one world soemthing still happens to the same person in another world but could be for better or for worse. So if it is this whole twighlight thing then I see it as in one universe/ world a monster attacked the earth in 2008 and in the other universe there was no monster but a few years later it was (the threat in this film) If you get what I mean.
Which could (in my head) explain why it's the same companies but they might not have the same history as the Clovie world where one was harvesting seabed nectar and the other was a research company who Howard worked for in this film after his navy years. In this film they might not have been as sinister as the ARG suggested they was for the first film

but aspects of the alien like @tridon said has features of Clovie like the mouth and the tentacle at one point straightend out looked like a Clovie leg even though they are unrelated (for now)

Did you enjoy it @C.C. 95 ?
@Flloydo
I have to admit that I didn't love it. It was well done melodrama that we have seen before. And while the thriller aspects were done competently- again, it was very clichéd material that we have seen done before.
Biggest problem for me is this: did Howard go out to abduct another girl to bring into his bunker and this apocalypse just happen by accident at the same time?!! This conjunction of apocolypse happening at the same time he was planning an abduction is ridiculous to me.
Also, the satellite crashing into the ocean happened at the beginning of Cloverfield and not the end.
(It is SHOWN at the end - but chronologically, it is what started the story).
I actually would be much more interested in the story of the last 10 minutes of 10 Cloverfield and the sequel that would follow!
The last last 10 minutes makes the first 100 mins. Utterly pointless.
Imagine a movie about a bank robbery where in the last 10 minutes the bank robber step outside to find out they Have been on Mars the whole time. As a viewer I feel "we were on Mars?!! what the hell were we doing in the bank for the last 100 minutes?!!!!!"
What a waste!
It's fine for me that the two movies aren't connected. I don't need them to be. maybe on a second viewing I might like the movie a little more. But I found it pretty standard fare. (Minus the twist)
There is nothing here BLOOD SIMPLE or SHALLOW GRAVE didn't do better. (And I should cut him some slack- he has never made a feature before, so....)
I wish I could say I loved it (I was there opening weekend- something I don't do), but...meh.

Last edited:
@Flloydo
I have to admit that I didn't love it. It was well done melodrama that we have seen before. And while the thriller aspects were done competently- again, it was very clichéd material that we have seen done before.
Biggest problem for me is this: did Howard go out to abduct another girl to bring into his bunker and this apocalypse just happen by accident at the same time?!! This conjunction of apocolypse happening at the same time he was planning an abduction is ridiculous to me.
Also, the satellite crashing into the ocean happened at the beginning of Cloverfield and not the end.
(It is SHOWN at the end - but chronologically, it is what started the story).
I actually would be much more interested in the story of the last 10 minutes of 10 Cloverfield and the sequel that would follow!
The last last 10 minutes makes the first 100 mins. Utterly pointless.
Imagine a movie about a bank robbery where in the last 10 minutes the bank robber step outside to find out they Have been on Mars the whole time. As a viewer I feel "we were on Mars?!! what the hell were we doing in the bank for the last 100 minutes?!!!!!"
What a waste!
It's fine for me that the two movies aren't connected. I don't need them to be. maybe on a second viewing I might like the movie a little more. But I found it pretty standard fare. (Minus the twist)
There is nothing here BLOOD SIMPLE or SHALLOW GRAVE didn't do better. (And I should cut him some slack- he has never made a feature before, so....)
I wish I could say I loved it (I was there opening weekend- something I don't do), but...meh.

That's fair enough I get what you mean

Okay so it's not ridicolus to me becuase this is what I think happened about your mention of the abduction.
Obviously he kidnapped Britney before and things went wrong she tried to escape, that daughter fantasy ended and he killed her. Possibly for months he didn't have anyone else but at the same time he's a doomsday prepper and knew that a attack was coming and finally finished the bunker within the last few weeks/months (from before the film started with help from emmet).

Now at the start of the film it's clearly Howard in the car looking at Michelle fill up for gas. He's doing that thing with his knuckles so I'm guessing he see her and thought "well that could be my new daughter" or he was fighting the urge to kidnap someone else (with the knuckle thing - like at the dinner table he's doing it before going crazy at her like he's fighting the urge but can't help it in the end) and then in the film he says he heard on the radio it started to happen so I think that's when he thought he will take her and save her from it all as he was prepared for the attack for a while. But he's so messed up in the head he actually run her off the road to do it.
In the ARG he keeps saying it's going to happen any day soon, so my guess is he was driving around in a close perimeter to the bunker to get a new girl and him knowing the apocalypse is near its a great excuse for him to get a new girl.

Or at the start of the film he's planning to take her, he runs her off the road and then the radio says about the blackouts and stuff so it just happens as he decides to take her.
Whatever it is, the attack was going to happen soon and he knew that and was prepared and ready to kidnap someone. It's why he's so off with emmet because his fantasy was just a him and this girl who he could pretend was his daughter and save her and now someone who possibly knows bits and pieces about him is involved etc
Or at the start of the film in the car he was already aware it had started and knew he had about 30/40 mins left and see her filling up for gas and thought "**** it" in going for her.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he was driving around close to the bunker ready to pinch someone before it all happened and he accomplished That.

Oh lol I know the sattelite was at the beggining of the story of cloverfield but it happened at the end of the film. Just incase anyone else was reading it might of confused them if I said yeah the sattelite crashes at the start. I meant at the end of the actual film.

Yeah I would like to see more of where she's going but I also didn't find it pointless

I like the idea of something small happening like the bunker situation (or not small because as your watching it unravel it's a huge thing and your mind is wondering "is the world f*cked outside?" "Is it all a lie" etc but in the grand scheme of things going on in the world with the attack the bunker situation is a very small story) but then bang all of a sudden there's something much much bigger going on and we only get a little glimpse. I really like that, it could of been anything too but I kinda like the central focus is not on the attack until the last 10 mins. A bit like the end of he first men in black lol (with the marbles) and also a bit like the signal

Imagine if it were true and you was in that position and woke up in a bunker and you have seen evidence of a person with messed up skin that something is happening out there then you would imgaine you have been invaded my another country and then a month or 2 later you escape only to find out its your worst fear and aliens are spilling out toxins and trying to harvest your planet. I thought it's a great ending but I can imagine it will piss some people off. It's like interstellar, quite a serious sci fi of exploration and then the last 15 mins are crazy sci fi mind bending ending (two types of sci fi in one film like a true sci fi ending) a bit like this. Also like you said about what JJ and director have said about twilight zone style films then this ending makes complete sense to me and fits that description.

Also when Howard is scarred by the acid a little part of me did think "oh he's defo a monster now" and thought maybe he was literally a monster for the last 10 mins which could of been clever but then she escaped and he clearly died in that explosion

After seeing it and thinking on it I also don't mind they are not connected but I do kind of wish they was, but no biggie now.[/SPOILER][/SPOILER][/SPOILER][/Spoiler]

from imdb

The film's life began as a script called "The Cellar" (which had nothing to do with the Cloverfield universe, and was at one time also known as "Valencia"). The script was acquired by J.J. Abrams' production company Bad Robot and adapted to become "10 Cloverfield Lane".

I'm pretty sure in the cellar version this film had differend ending. when JJ got hands on it he came up with aliens and stuff. so that's why it feels like 2 different movies.

from imdb

The film's life began as a script called "The Cellar" (which had nothing to do with the Cloverfield universe, and was at one time also known as "Valencia"). The script was acquired by J.J. Abrams' production company Bad Robot and adapted to become "10 Cloverfield Lane".

I'm pretty sure in the cellar version this film had differend ending. when JJ got hands on it he came up with aliens and stuff. so that's why it feels like 2 different movies.
Yep, this was discussed in detail a few pages back. Would've been interesting to see how it would've played out had JJ not been involved... although the connection to Cloverfield is what made it extra special IMO.

• Thanks