3D vs 4K-which will reign supreme?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
This is a general chat/debate thread for both formats, as they may ultimately exist concurrently in the market. What's your take? Is 3D a failure, and 4K 'the next best thing'. Yay or nay?

Reactions: zagracherunver
I don't think either is a failure. It is a progression. I mean look at the movie theater experience. I can't wait til I can watch 4-8K 3D material in my home. It IMO is gonna be niche but it will still sell to us videophiles.

3D is a gimmick. Calling it the future, or purchasing a 3D enabled set 'future proofing' is pretty misleading.

4K is a way off, but resolution is king.

I think the price for this title is fair, even if the movie wasn't great. Sunny made a good point regarding the price of FS Steels at release. We've perhaps become too used to great Steels at great prices here in the UK! >:]

"Resolution is king"?! I agree somewhat, but will the jump to 4k be the same as the jump from 480 to 1080? I have enough of a job convincing my fiance that there's a difference between SD and HD!

Also, aren't most films shot at 2k resolution? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

The picture cannot possibly get much clearer on your standard size TV, you'd need a full wall projector in your living room to make use of 4K.

Both are phazes, but it will be hard to convince your average Joe (like me) to buy a 4k TV.
Only HT fanatics that are willing to invest big $$ will really invest into 4k.
On this matter, for now, 3D wins, but i eventually see both fading away.

Last edited:
There are still sooo many people still on CRT TV's that still don't have an HDTV that I just can't see a 4K TV making a very big splash in the audio / video market. I think thefly is right in mentioning the 8K TV because by then almost everyone will have a HDTV of some kind.

The audio/video world doesn't quiet move as fast as the computer world does as the hardware is still moderately expensive. Granted you can buy a modest priced HDTV by just walking into Walmart yet they aren't yet priced as the cheapest priced models on the floor.

I see 3D taking the stage over 4K because of the price. In the end price is what it all boils down to. Right now 3D TV's are way cheaper to make than a 4K TV. Of course that can all change on the whim as that's how the electronics world is. Not to mention none of the media takes advantage of the 4K picture yet.

My post needs amending - it's actually another 8 years until they claim we'll see 8K screens (which we don't even have in cinemas yet, right?).

Getting back to 4K, AcIdC0R3 makes a good point about the availability of 4K media. I've not heard of any timeline to release any home media in the format. So far, I think it will end up being more of an enthusiast thing (as mentioned by chipvideo).

This looks to be the first commercially available 4K film:

http://timescapes.org/products/default.aspx

so long I'll see a dvd in my bluray box, I won't be concerned by a potential urgent evolution. And I totally agree with Drum...Do you know why most of the time I'm buying a 3D movie? :emb: 'cause of the beauty of the slipcover :emb::naughty:

I agree with Le Marquis! I only buy 3D movies because the packaging looks better most of the time. If i can decide between a version with and without 3D i allways take the one without. For 4K i really have no idea. I think i have never seen a 4K display yet.

4k tvs to come this holiday season. LGtv at 20,000 and sony xbr at 25,000 $

So it'll be a while before they are normal prices and we have 4k content blu-rays.

Although people are unwilling to adopt 3D, it will ultimately win over 4k due to the simple matter of pricing. These days you can get a 3D TV for roughly the same price as your normal 1080p HD TV, so you'll slowly see people buying the 3D TV instead.

Although people are unwilling to adopt 3D, it will ultimately win over 4k due to the simple matter of pricing. These days you can get a 3D TV for roughly the same price as your normal 1080p HD TV, so you'll slowly see people buying the 3D TV instead.

I agree, 3D is now coming as standard with a lot of new TV's. I think it hasn't took off at all like they thought it would do but I can see it making some ground as more content is available. I think 4k is going to have a very limited appeal, the main problem I can see is the size of the TV's required. A minimum of 55" just to see the difference, I cant see the average consumer going with that. People don't have the space let alone the money to buy something of this size. I think they need to concentrate on getting everybody up to 1080p for now!:)

I cant wait to see 3D in 4K resolution :)

As far as who will win, I think, in due time, 4k will...It took awhile for lcd/led to make it mainstream, but I don't know anybody who doesn't have one their home now..When 4k finally drops in price, I see it being the new standard in HD TV's...My guess is mid 2014 and most of us movie lovers will have one in our homes.

Last edited: