Multi Battlefield 3 - New "Matches" feature launched

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
Battlefield 3
is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Fault Line Episode III
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsHIHxYXeLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<br>
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xP0Ij1_VTY0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xP0Ij1_VTY0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wi2tae2PmmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BF3_2D00_packshots3.png

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jBcG4tiZ5Kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall.

bf3screenshot4.jpg

bf3screenshot1.jpg

The new GameInformer issue is out and folks have already provided scans of the article, which include plenty of great-looking screenshots. Furthermore, these details were obtained from the article:

Aiming for Fall 2011 release

4 classes

Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together

Frostbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written

Lighting sounds neat, one “probe” contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.

Level destruction is going to be “believable” but basically everything is destructible.

Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.

AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets

No more “gliding” animations that look off, animation realism is a focus

Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism

Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats

Plan on better, more immediate post release content

More unlocks than Bad Company 2

Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having “pink rabbit hat(s)”

Will have co-op

There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off

BF3′s team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2

They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.

Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah (Iraqi Kurdistan).

Will be M rated

PC version is lead version

No mod tools at release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wreck
geeeeeeez.

I think I'll still be on ps3 but may grab a pc copy too.... I've just never been a pc player.

Battlefield 3 To Support 24 Players on Consoles

According to the spiel listed on Best Buy, which lists "massive combat with up to 24 players" as one of the game's features as well as being able to drag your buddies to safety and mount a weapon anywhere on terrain as an impromptu defensive measure. Nice.

That's not forgetting DICE's all-new and rather tasty Frostbite 2 Engine, which as you'll already know, boasts some sexy lighting effects. Check out the teaser trailer again and shape up for Battlefield 3 in autumn 2011, soldier.

DICE drops Battlefield 3 details, confirms 3D spotting

Alan Kertz, senior gameplay designer for Battlefield 3, has revealed via Twitter that the eagerly anticipated shooter will chuck in support for 3D spotting.

Just in case you’re unaware, spotting is a handy feature that allows the player to pin-point the exact location of foes for the rest of the team. After you’ve acquired the target’s location, a red triangle will appear over the head of the enemy soldier, and he’s singled out on the mini-map.

"Yes, there will be spotting," said Kertz. "2D spotting is a minimum," he continued. "I want a form of 3D spotting that avoids, 'There, behind the tree.' 'What tree?'"

"I want a balanced 3D spot that works for a whole team."

"It's still early," he noted, adding, "there's still plenty to do, and it's not like I'm going to forget about spotting, or the issues it creates. "Spotted enemies could have a bomb dropped on them by an orbital space cannon for all I've decided right now."

Elsewhere, Kertz also let slip that Battlefield 3 will include a knife and dog-tags, though wouldn’t elaborate on the latter’s purpose. Friendly fire will also be included, as will Bad Company 2’s bullet drop system.

He also lobbed mud in the direction of Call of Duty following EA’s pledge to deliver the 'next great FPS,' declaring: "You don't kill COD by trying to be COD. You kill COD by making a better shooter."

DICE drops Battlefield 3 details, confirms 3D spotting

Alan Kertz, senior gameplay designer for Battlefield 3, has revealed via Twitter that the eagerly anticipated shooter will chuck in support for 3D spotting.

Just in case you’re unaware, spotting is a handy feature that allows the player to pin-point the exact location of foes for the rest of the team. After you’ve acquired the target’s location, a red triangle will appear over the head of the enemy soldier, and he’s singled out on the mini-map.

"Yes, there will be spotting," said Kertz. "2D spotting is a minimum," he continued. "I want a form of 3D spotting that avoids, 'There, behind the tree.' 'What tree?'"

"I want a balanced 3D spot that works for a whole team."

"It's still early," he noted, adding, "there's still plenty to do, and it's not like I'm going to forget about spotting, or the issues it creates. "Spotted enemies could have a bomb dropped on them by an orbital space cannon for all I've decided right now."

Elsewhere, Kertz also let slip that Battlefield 3 will include a knife and dog-tags, though wouldn’t elaborate on the latter’s purpose. Friendly fire will also be included, as will Bad Company 2’s bullet drop system.

He also lobbed mud in the direction of Call of Duty following EA’s pledge to deliver the 'next great FPS,' declaring: "You don't kill COD by trying to be COD. You kill COD by making a better shooter."

i like that. shouldn't be hard to beat their latest effort, hahaha.

While the Battlefield 3 pre-order text appearing on GameStop is almost identical to the text that briefly appeared on EA's own pre-order site, BF3Blog.com snagged the full copy from EA before it was stripped. While the GameStop text simply says that battles will be fought in "diverse locations from around the globe including Europe, Middle-East and North America," the original EA text was a bit more specific: "Paris, Tehran and New York." What that tells us is that Battlefield 3 will have some seriously urban environments, which is a good thing for the seemingly massive multiplayer levels.

While we've known that the PC version would support 64 players in its multiplayer component, Best Buy lists "massive 24-player online battles." Game Informer – which is hosting the reveal of the title via its March issue – lists the multilplayer component as supporting 64 players on PC and 24 on consoles, a not-unusual limitation for console face-shooting. And lastly, so long as you're here already, we wanted to share this video of Battlefield 3's Frostbite 2 engine busting out real-time radiosity using the Enlighten middleware toolkit. We're sure DICE will be highlighting the work it's put into this new engine, so consider this an early (and admittedly sedate) look at the tech behind BF3.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/foXVF7q035Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great work with the thread thus far Mex. Just got a chance to check it out in full.