Slipbox Beetlejuice (Limited Edition Blu-ray Slipbox) (MLIFE Exclusive No.30) [China]

Dec 16, 2011
Shanghai
Release date: March, 2018
Purchase link: eBay shop
Price:
HK$ 288.00
Notes: 120 copies numbered - English subtitles - booklets

WeChat 圖片_20180201095049.jpg

I'm sure Diskino is legit to what they do for their territory. There is a difference between ones being licensed from those other IP holders, production companies etc. and those from the big 6 .... all major distribution studios (like the WBs, Universal and Sony's of the world) licensing goes through them direct in the USA and then through licensing agents in other markets most namely international instances where the studios dont have licensing offices themselves.

As an example at an industry party I attended in Europe in which I was speaking with the guy who was THE Universal rep for many steels we all own that came out of Europe over the years he told me that his time at the studio in the UK was that all the EU steels were overseen from the UK. Now I'm not saying Asia is EU (duh) but I'm stating that if anyone wanted to do something crazy and different in regards to art it would need to go through them and even then they would have to get it kicked back and approved likely all the way in the USA. Having worked with Sony UK directly that is EXACTLY what happens. This is why pop art is popular when it doesnt feature an actors likeness etc. they have the rights to Ghostbusters the franchise not Bill Murrays face.

I dont even think what they do is not legit "disc wise" for these DISTRIBUTED titles like Jaws etc. ie. its not a pirated disc in question. I'm sure they are signed up for a distributor and purchasing what they want and need. But just cause you buy from a distributor does not mean you can then do whatever you like art wise to the packaging. That requires a separate license and that is all anyone was pointing out. Look at what blufans does its always different previously approved poster arts with licenses as evident by the license #s on the hologram seals etc. Then some small chances that feature no likeness' No one is going to get any true real official approval on new art without a license that proves worthy$ and that is much easier on a poster or other product then on a film itself. Its stupid that everyone (industry)loses their sh!t when it comes to films but most often there are Director sign offs and much more in that regard it all just depends on the film itself. Put a movie in a case and all the red tape comes out (industry)

So there are things you can do to take smart risk vs reward chances and while it can be somewhat comical in that its soooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to get anything different done for the closely guarded JAWS its not too far out the reach to just use a shark .... cause the shark cant sue you .... and it doesnt have the actor's face likeness plastered over it to sue you. But doesnt make it technically 100% official is all. Tom Cruise and his team dont bat an eye half the time to approve new art for stuff that has 10k qty produced but somehow he has for 120 copies from China? Its just not happening. There are other Asian Companies tho not in China who are taking big risks themselves as well tho.

EB is working direct with Universal and I'm sure if they wanted to or maybe already have discussed these titles and artworks with Uni who has likely confirmed its not realistic in their world knowing what he Uni rep knows. And I'm sure EB is concerned cause they have to take on realistic volumes like 1k Scott Pilgrim doing things the best way they can working in that system of what is allowed and what isnt and then up pops someone doing 120 copies. Its frustrating. And im not even choosing sides just calling it like it is.

But this is also likely the nature of whats to come with physical media and big studios arent going to go after small fish with stuff like that much as they focus more on digital.

Very informative, and gives me a very good idea of what the issue is.

I wonder if what's happening is that Shanghai Epic Music Entertainment who manage all the licenses from the big studios and practically have the monopoly on physical media production as well as distribution in Mainland China is simply overstepping their bounds when it comes to these small runs in terms of the artwork approval process. Maybe it's harder to get away with it with Disney or more normal-sized print runs like with HDZeta and BluFans so those go through all the regular hoops, but with a smaller company like Diskino, they've just said go ahead do whatever you want especially since the run is so low. The other thing to keep in mind is that a company like Diskino makes such small runs because they (so far) aren't factoring in an overseas market as well like with HDZeta and BluFans. This being the case, maybe Shanghai Epic doesn't see it as an issue since it's technically supposed to be isolated within Mainland China where they hold the power anyway. Again, gotta take into account how muddy copyright law is in China and how it isn't as cut and dry as it is in say the US or EU. I feel like the creation of a company like Shanghai Epic (who are a joint between some Chinese companies and Sony DADC) allows the big American studios to have a media distribution presence in the growing Chinese market, but without having to deal with the complicated cultural and legal boundaries of the Chinese market themselves.

I assume with Diskino's Chinese-language film releases, the above really isn't an issue because they're dealing with the rights holders directly, or in the case of some older Hong Kong movies where the identity of the current copyright holder is completely up in the air.

That being said, could it be possible that many of the small South Korean companies who have very low-run "premium" releases may also be skirting on the edges of legality when it comes with artwork approval?

Last edited:
just claimed the product is legal and everything is approved from china mainland agency Shanghai Epic (WHV,UPI, SPHE, FOX), same way with HDZETA,BLUFANS.

Yeah because Blufans and HD Zeta just go wild with the artwork choices right? Look at all the TDK ones coming up all art we've all seen before and thus easily licensed with WB. When everyone knows Jordan Peele held TIGHT oversight on what can and could be done with GET OUT and yet they come in and do whatever they want right? lol ... not how it works. Universal does not have the legal right to allow it as they are only handling distribution of the title, not ownership.

Very informative, and gives me a very good idea of what the issue is.

I wonder if what's happening is that Shanghai Epic Music Entertainment who manage all the licenses from the big studios and practically have the monopoly on physical media production as well as distribution in Mainland China is simply overstepping their bounds when it comes to these small runs in terms of the artwork approval process. Maybe it's harder to get away with it with Disney or more normal-sized print runs like with HDZeta and BluFans so those go through all the regular hoops, but with a smaller company like Diskino, they've just said go ahead do whatever you want especially since the run is so low. The other thing to keep in mind is that a company like Diskino makes such small runs because they (so far) aren't factoring in an overseas market as well like with HDZeta and BluFans. This being the case, maybe Shanghai Epic doesn't see it as an issue since it's technically supposed to be isolated within Mainland China where they hold the power anyway. Again, gotta take into account how muddy copyright law is in China and how it isn't as cut and dry as it is in say the US or EU. I feel like the creation of a company like Shanghai Epic (who are a joint between some Chinese companies and Sony DADC) allows the big American studios to have a media distribution presence in the growing Chinese market, but without having to deal with the complicated cultural and legal boundaries of the Chinese market themselves.

That being said, could it be possible that many of the small South Korean companies who have very low-run "premium" releases may also be skirting on the edges of legality when it comes with artwork approval?

Yeah you have a lot of good theories there with substance. As an example, I had a USA distribution Company that would allow HDN to do "what we want" but it too was with no true official permission and thus not worth it. Point being its not too hard to find a distribution rep who just wants the sales and the rest is "on you". And you can get away with that longer in some Countries versus others.

There is chances taken in the Korean market as well, but they arent near as bad due to choosing less risky artwork choices often if you can prove its been used before you can help your pitch but artwork choices for titles are part of a Creative Brief of Assets as the art choices (poster etc) are called assets. But when you see the spelling errors on some of the slips that come out of korea. You can then start figuring where the creative chances are being taken.

On the other hand, times are there when they get an entire license for the film in decent # and you can see easy evidence of this when the disc itself has their logo etc.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Futurhythm
Yeah because Blufans and HD Zeta just go wild with the artwork choices right? Look at all the TDK ones coming up all art we've all seen before and thus easily licensed with WB. When everyone knows Jordan Peele held TIGHT oversight on what can and could be done with GET OUT and yet they come in and do whatever they want right? lol ... not how it works. Universal does not have the legal right to allow it as they are only handling distribution of the title, not ownership.
Shanghai Epic handle with studio. Diskino HDZETA BLUFANS are not directly to studio. Diskino got more freedom on designing not only the target market is china mainland but also multiple modes cooperation. Some titles like pacific rim 2 great wall, need diskino to get copyright and license the shanghai epic to release. If Diskino can not get more freedom on designing like arrow video criterion moc and others, I think there is no beginning of cooperation with Shanghai epic.
china disc market is complicated and terrible, not like america. and i don't care who you met and talk. that has nothing to do with china mainland situation.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Futurhythm
And who are you exactly? Since you seem to know it all you must be the man behind the mask? :confused:

Dont worry I have contacts in "mainland china" as well. Tell Kristy I said hi.

Happy New Year

And who are you exactly? Since you seem to know it all you must be the man behind the mask? :confused:

Dont worry I have contacts in "mainland china" as well. Tell Kristy I said hi.

Happy New Year
yes you can contacts Kristy Ip directly. But she is just a scanavo sales. Nothing about copyrights or shanghai epic.

I have no way to honestly know the Answer. Part of me wants to believe it was a outlier event, and a bad customs agent. But that just makes me mad! (Lost $150):arghh:
It also didn't help that the seller at the Mlife ebay store labeled the package something stupid like "kitchen utensils".(n) (Why? If it is legit?)
Like I said, I had ordered for the same ebay Mlife store before with no problems at customs. So I don't know.
View attachment 360344
Mislabelling is common from China, especially from customs friendly sellers. I've been ordering vape equipment from there for years and it's always labelled as make up or tools worth less than $5.