Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release Date: January 15th 2018
Purchase Link: Amazon - HMV - Zavvi - Zoom
Price: Amazon £39.29, HMV £39.99, Zavvi £29.99, Zoom £27.99

BP2.jpg

• Description
    This bold cinematic experience takes viewers on a magical adventure across the greatest, yet least known parts of our planet - our oceans. Since The Blue Planet aired in 2001, our understanding of life beneath the waves has completely changed. Travelling from the icy polar seas to the vibrant blues of the coral atolls, Blue Planet II shares these astonishing new discoveries. Meet the strange octopuses lurking in the depths of the Antarctic ocean. Watch giant trevally fish leap to catch birds in mid-air. And ride on the back of a hammerhead shark as it attacks. Inspiring awe and wonder, this series reveals surprising new places, charismatic new characters and extraordinary new behaviours.

Last edited:
So this different from Planet Earth 2?
Yes, it's a sequel to The Blue Planet from 2001 (I still have the DVD). This series hasn't been aired as yet but I'm really looking forward to it as it should be fantastic.

There's more information on the BBC website here. There will also be a prequel introduction to the show by Sir David Attenborough on September 27th; more info here.

I have this on pre-order from Amazon at £19.99. I think they got the standard blu-ray mixed up with the 4K UHD version when they first listed it. However, they have emailed me assurance that I do have the 4K UHD version on pre-order, so will revert to that if they end up sending me the standard blu-ray...

Release date for the 4K version showing on Amazon and Zavvi as 15 January 2018 (no release date showing on Zoom).

Standard blu-ray and DVD editions still showing a release date of 27 November 2017.

Wonder what the reason is for the delay on the 4K edition? Bit of a pain, really, as I wanted to get this for Christmas!

happy days. :happy: maybe not here for Christmas, but boy does this make up for it with the picture quality. you surely don't need me to tell you that the 4K picture quality is immediate reference standard :wow: :woot:
nice set, will be followed no doubt by some steels and other limited versions, but since the first "Blue Planet" series remains one of my most played disc sets ever, had to get this ASAP. certainly more anticipated than many films for me:

some photos for those wondering - slip textures:
creds and back cover details:
discs and disc art:
Attenborough - and of course the BBC natural history film-making team - remains quite simply without comparison. maybe one day the Beeb will release a huge box set of everything he's ever done. i think i have almost all of it already, but i'd double dip for the Complete Works without hesitation. :drool: