apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Amazon.FR
Released on October 25, 2011.

515rDLHvG3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone picked up this release yet? Impressions?

Universal should be region free.

Anyone picked up this release yet? Impressions?
Universal should be region free.
I really liked this series and last time I looked (a few years ago) wasn't able to find it on blu-ray anywhere. Looked again the other day and found this; so I'm rather late to the party, but got it in the post today.
I picked it up for ~30 EUR delivered 'like new' sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals (purchased from amazon.de not .fr, despite being the French release).

Note: There have been releases of Caprica in other countries (Germany, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden) this year, but apparently all of them are still 1080i/50 encodes and all (like this one) are incorrectly labled as 1080p on the bluray cases/slips.
As of yet there is no 1080p/24 blu-ray release available. The disks are region free however because it's 1080i/50 you'll find some blu-ray players/TVs (particularly in the US) will not be able to play them; I read comments elsewhere that US PS3s for example are unable to play the disks.

Video: The video quality is very good. A lovely full HD picture that is crisp & clean, pleasant colours. There's really very little else more to say about this!

Audio:
  • 5.1 DTS-HD MA English & French tracks. Sounds excellent.
  • English & French Audio-3D tracks. See below.
One of the main reasons I went for the French release rather than any of the more recent releases is because the French release has something quite unique, an English 'Audio-3D' track designed to be listened to wearing headphones; this technology simulates multi-channel surround but only requires stereo headphones - it's actually pretty cool, Audio-3D have a demo showing the effect on their website. I've watched the first two episodes using the Audio-3D option today and it's definitely more interesting to listen to than your average stereo track. :thumbs:

Subtitles: English & French.

Bonus features:

• Deleted scenes? 59.
  • *** Audio Commentary Tracks? 17.
  • Video Blogs? 19.
  • The Caprica Dynasty; actors & producers expalin the origins of the spinoff, what appealed to them about it and their experiences making it.
  • The Look of Caprica; discover how the look for the series was created.
  • Re-Caprica; Quick re-cap of the first 9 episodes.
  • Creating a World; learn about the special effects, virtual sets. etc. used to make Caprica.
  • ** Season 1.5 Sneak Peek.
  • ** Caprica's Soundtrack; a whopping 260 tracks with over a 7 hour play time :woot:
** denotes a bonus feature that appears to be exclusive to the French blu-ray release (or at least is not mentioned on the slips of the 2015 blu-ray releases).
*** denotes a bonus feature mentioned on the French & German blu-ray releases only (it may be present on the other releases, but isn't listed on the slip).

Pictures:
(Click the thumbnails to enlarge :))

IMG_1407_sm.jpg IMG_1413_sm.jpg IMG_1415_sm.jpg IMG_1417_sm.jpg IMG_1419_sm.jpg IMG_1424_sm.jpg IMG_1427_sm.jpg

Screenshots:

SS1.jpg SS2.jpg SS3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: apsmith21