Czech Republic
Release date: September 14, 2016
Purchase link: Filmarena
Price: CZK 799
Note: not part of the FAC
cacivilwar.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
From those photos it's 100% debossed
Possible gloss finish or spot gloss going by the reflection shine on the steelbook

Here is my take on it...

I fully understand the concept of why this has been designed the way it has been and relates and represents very well to the film itself without the need of a title.
So straight away we know this is Captain America: Civil War or 'Cap vs Iron man' if you really want to be picky about the representing image, but it's a given we all know what film this is
from the design of the steelbook. No issues there.

However, the problem with the design for me (whether you agree or not) is not WHAT the image is representing but HOW it has been represented.
The damaged shield is fine, not an issue, but then crossing over onto the other side is a mediocre looking image of Iron Man's helmet (with glowing eyes I might add) and
ones own perspective of how this looks. Being picky here but also justified due to the obvious issue in that these images lie side by side with a large crack down the centre and
Iron Man's helmet is not in perspective. Hopefully somebody understands what I am getting at here but it would make much more sense if:

a) His helmet covered the whole of the right side
of the steelbook with the possibility of Caps shield being larger (depending on scale of helmet to shield)

b) Presumably Stark is NOT inside the Helmet at this point so the eyes shouldn't be glowing

c) The clear background, or ground or a floor, itself making the helmet look a little 'floaty' in the design.

Forgive me for being picky but I just don't think it is very realistic in what is being represented. Yes nothing in the world of Marvel movies is realistic, but putting these things into perspective,
coupled with the fact that you are wanting to sell lots of copies of this steelbook, I just feel the design of this front is very lacking in thought and presentation of how it sits.

Look above Iron Man's helmet where the centre crack runs... is it running across the ground? Is that actually a crack in the ground? The same crack that runs between the helmet and the shield.
Why is it running off the steelbook?

Before you shoot me down for being so picky here, once again I get the concept. I get the idea behind it. It clearly shows a 'split' between both factions. It shows damage because they go to war.
It shows one side versus the other. It shows Cap vs iron Man, leaders of their respective teams. BUT... are you really telling me this is the best they could come up with for a front cover image?

You know why this same damaged effect worked great on Cloverfield steelbook? Because the entire image was in good perspective covering the entire front of the steelbook, not to mention that it
continued on the back. The entire design of the steelbook was the same object and that is why it worked much, much better than what it does here.

Perhaps an embossed fist of Iron Man (coming off the steelbook) punching the shield making cracks would have been much better for example? This image could show continuity on the rear also showing the back of the shield?
I don't know, I was just looking at it and got into the whole design aspect in terms of perspective, size, etc. (and don't get me wrong here, I am not talking about 'scale' as nothing is to scale lol)

Any other opinions on this is most welcome.

• Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T