Cellphones - 4th gen Iphone=Mega Hotness?

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
So any of you guys phone aficionados? I am always looking at the new stuff that's coming out, I always like carrying something new not for flashing or anything I just love tech :)

I am going to make this thread for everything that has to do will mobile technology so anyone is welcome to contribute!

Apple iPhone
As an iPhone user obviously I am waiting for OS 3.0 which should be a nice change of pace, they are adding features which should have been there since day one! So the new OS update is in beta stages and it seems like hackers are already all over it as it has been jailbroken :) I personally don't do it.

Link for Jailbroken 3.0 article

Iphone.png

(This is my home screen BTW!)

Palm Pre
So Palm has worked up their own OS and is prepping and a release along with new hardware. I can't reveal my sources yet since I am under NDA, but I got to say that the new Palm phone is sweet! it's fast for now there's some stuff that needs to be worked on. There are some nice features that I am digging on this phone the only problem I really find is that it will only go to Sprint, I am not big on Sprint specially around where I live the service is a bit overpriced and I am not willing to make that plunge. Palm has some sweet features up their sleeves though I talked to the designer last Friday and yeah these guys are excited to see their ideas come to reality :)

pre-video-part-2-rm-eng.jpg

Link

So far the applications I've played with are cool and reliable, it's able to multitask without a problem! I am sure all Palm lovers will find this little toy fascinating!

I'll be back with more phones later!

Last edited:
500x_iphone-vs-winmo.jpg

I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot.

That doesn't mean that the Windows Phone 7's user experience would be better than Apple's. The two user interface concepts—data-centric vs function-centric—are very different, and the former is quite a radical departure from what people are used to.

And if you're not familiar with Windows Phone 7, check out our hands on and the post where we explain everything about it.

With the iPhone, Apple put together an extremely simple modal interface that works, one that people of all ages and backgrounds understand right away: "This is a device that adopts different functions and gives me access to different kinds of information depending on the icon I click on."

It's pretty simple idea, which made it a raging success. In fact, that success is the reason why this model is Apple's bet not only for mobile phones, but for the future of computing. It is also the reason why the Androids, Palms, and Blackberries of this world are following them.

Clean slate
Microsoft's approach is completely different. Instead of becoming another me-too cellphone, like Android and the rest, the Windows Phone 7 team came up their own vision of what the cellphone should be. In the process, they have created a beautiful user interface in which the data is at the center of user interaction. Not the apps—specific functions—but the information itself. At some points, in fact, it feels like the information is the interface itself.

Out of the box, this information is organized into areas called hubs, which follow the user's areas of interest. Accessible through live tiles in the home screen, the Me (the user), people, pictures and video, music, and games—plus the omnipresent search—hubs give views into several data sources, connecting and presenting them into an interweaved panoramic stream. These hubs dig heavily into many databases, both locally and into the cloud.

Rather than accessing an app to get contact information and make a call to a person, open another app to get her Twitter updates, and then another app to get her Facebook updates, and another for her latest mails to you, and yet another one to watch her photos, the Windows Phone's people hub offers a seamless view into all of it, presented in a very simple and logical way. On a function-centric model like the iPhone, when the user thinks "I want to make a call", he puts the device in "calling mode" by clicking on an app, selects a contact, and calls. When the user thinks "What's up with John Smith?" he puts the device in Facebook or Twitter or Mail mode, and so on.

Microsoft has organized the hubs into panoramas, by stitching groups of information as columns of a single landscape screen—bigger than the phone's display—that can be scrolled with your finger. The solution—tied together with minimalist interface aesthetics and animations that are inviting, elegant, and never superfluous—works great.

What about other applications?
Instinctively, I like Microsoft's approach to organizing the core of our digital lives—people+social+multimedia+communication all merged into the hubs. I like it better than the "it's a phone, it's a mail program, it's a browser, it's an iPod" Apple approach. It's less rigid than the iPhone or Android's model, offering a richer experience, inviting to explore, and offering data from many points of view in a quick, clearly organized way. It also seems more human, and that's certainly something Apple—or their followers—have to worry about.

Does that mean that function-centric models are worse? Like I said before, not necessarily. Especially because the information-centric panoramas don't fit every single task people expect their iPhones to perform now. And when I say every single task, I really mean the two gazillion apps populating the Apple store. Microsoft could dress the hub experience in any way they want, but if their devices don't offer a rich application market, they will fail the same way the current competition is failing against Apple.

Fortunately for Microsoft, the Windows Phone model is not only information-centric, but also function-centric. According to Joe Belfiore, gran jefe of the Microsoft's Windows Phone Program, applications are not required to plug into the hub metaphor or the panorama user interface. When the development toolkit comes out in a month, they would encouraging applications just like the ones you have in the iPhone today. In other words, Microsoft understands that one approach is as important as the other.

They are just hoping that their hubs would be a better, funner, more intuitive way to access and cultivate our digital lives, which is mainly what most consumers want to do nowadays. Looking at what they have shown today, I think they may be in the right track. But, like the Zune HD, it just may be too late.

Controlling your TV from your phone isn't a new concept, but Verizon just made it a bit sexier. Verizon FiOS owners this week can nab a new FiOS Mobile Remote app for their Motorola Droid or HTC Imagio. The application emulates regular remote buttons, but also tosses in an icon-based favorites view of channels, in addition to an ability to sling photos from the phone to the big screen. The phone hooks into your FiOS box over your local WiFi, and requires you to download a widget for the set top box as well to get everything synced up. We're not exactly sure why this is limited to the Droid and Imagio right now -- we're sure the Droid Eris could handle the workload, for instance -- but Verizon does say that it's working on making additional handsets compatible in the future. Check out a video demo of the functionality after the break.

If you have an Android and Fios there's your app!

lol,dunno what kind of tv you guys have but mine came with a remote :D

yeah but you can't make phone calls with your remote DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hehe check out my new toyota keyboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Windows Phone 7 to be at Games Development Conference

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=13656

Microsoft is pretty serious about gaming on Windows Phone 7 series, and are intending to recruit developers directly from their successful Xbox franchise.
To underline this they are spending 25% of their time at the Games Developers Conference talking about Windows Phone 7. The event on the 10th March, will in fact precede the MIX10 developers day which so far has been held as the focus of developer attention for Windows Phone 7.
The write up for the day provides some interesting detail on the XBox Live service, suggesting leader boards and game invites will form a central part of the experience on the device.

Read the full line up below.
Developing Games for Windows Phone 7 Series
Speaker: Michael Klucher
Time: 12:00pm-1:00pm

The future of Windows Phone has never looked better. With the release of Windows Phone 7 Series, game developers will be able to create amazing content rapidly. This talk outlines the basic framework for games, presents Windows Phone 7 Series device characteristics, and provides and overview of game development on the phone.
High Performance 3D Games on Windows Phone 7 Series
Speaker: Tomas Vykruta & Shawn Hargreaves
Time: 2:00pm-3:00pm

Windows Phone 7 Series is a highly capable platform for game development. This talk covers 3D game development on Windows Phone 7 Series with an emphasis on the unique characteristics of the platform. The talk also focuses on optimizing high-performance games for the platform, to help developers squeeze out every last drop of performance.
Development and Debugging Tools for Windows Phone 7 Series
Speaker: Cullen Waters
Time: 3:00pm-4:00pm

This talk discusses the basic tools available to game developers on Windows Phone 7 Series, including debugging, emulation, and performance tools. The talk places special emphasis on best practices for performance and profiling tools that can be used to optimize games for Windows Phone 7 Series.
Bringing the Best of Xbox LIVE to Windows Phone 7 Series
Speaker: Adam Schaeffer
Time: 4:00pm-5:00pm

The Xbox LIVE service is going mobile! With Windows Phone 7 Series, core features such as Achievements, Leaderboards, and game invites will be available to games on Windows Phone 7 Series devices. This talk covers the basics of the services available and how they can be used to enable core Xbox LIVE functionality in games. In addition, this talk will present best practices for connecting Windows Phone 7 Series games to back-end servers.

i hope they've got some good games to show off, i'm actually pretty excited to see what they have in store

Project Pink QWERTY slider 'Pure' found in the wild, headed for Verizon

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/04/project-pink-qwerty-slider-pure-found-in-the-wild-headed-for/

pink-pure-blurry-1.jpg

There's a lot of rumbling in Project Pink land today, as Microsoft is seemingly nearing that magical time where its much-leaked Sidekick followup can finally see the light of day. First off, we're hearing from a tipster that the phones (we've seen 'Turtle' and 'Pure' so far) will be exclusive to Verizon, at least at the outset -- makes sense, given the CDMA radios we saw at the FCC. He calls the UI "hectic and colorful," and also says that there's still some serious cloud backup reliance, along with some desktop software to sync up with the cloud as well, and data plans that including a certain quantity of app downloads a month.

This is all fine and exciting, but it's helped along by a couple of image leaks. Conflipper, well known among the xda-dev crowd, is teasing the Twitter world with some screenshots of the emergency dialer (which also mention Verizon Wireless), and a Facebook upload from the device, which can be found in the gallery below. The dialer is about as barebones as it gets right now, but there's a bit of a hint of Windows Phone 7 Series in there to be sure. Finally, Gizmodo hit upon the hardware jackpot with a Mr. Blurrycam capture of the bigscreen 'Pure' QWERTY slider (pictured up above). If you really squint your eyes you can make out some of that "hectic and colorful" UI we're hearing about.

hit the link for a few more pics

can't wait for winmo7