Cobra Dongle (USB) - Makes PS3 Region Free...

jimmy

Generator
Premium Supporter
May 4, 2010
UK...
Thinking of buying it...BUT....I want to know what you guys think ? Is it good ?

Overview : The Cobra USB will unlock all the features of your device without needing to open up your console and voiding your warranty, or damage the components. Just by inserting this USB, you can watch your Blu-Ray discs region free as well as play DVDs and Blu-Rays via ISO on your HDD. You will be able to play your PS1 ISO files as well as PS3 ISO files on your HDD or USB. The Cobra is compatible with fat and slim consoles from any region. As well this device can flash and upgrade your firmware to 3.55 and the downgrade back to regular firmware at will. It has a slick UI and customized options with easy navigation. Also it utilizes an onboard Actel based encryption engine to prevent device cloning. An added bonus is the easy mode selection via a switch allowing you to choose from PC update, PS3 downgrade and regular PS3 device mode.

Features:

Blu-Ray Movie region free functionality**
Allows you to play Blu-Ray movie ISO’s from HDD**
Allows you to play DVD movie ISO’s from HDD**
Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO’s from HDD**
Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD**
Integrated support to play PS2 ISO's on CECHC, CECHE, CECHA and CECHB backwards compatible consoles.
Partial support on other PS3 consoles to play PS2 ISO's via software emulation
Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
Supports versions up to 3.55
Unique custom Cobra firmware acts as OFW when dongle not inserted
Play PS3 games from internal HDD
PS3, PSX, DVD and Blu-Ray ISO's can now be played without a real disc inserted in the PS3
MCU firmware and flash firmware updateable using easy to use free PC updater
First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
No need to open your console, just plug and play
High quality components and materials used throughout
Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
High quality onboard MCU
Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will.
Multi-lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)
** = World's first implementation

Last edited:
Thanks mate! A bit pricey for me at the moment, but I'll definitely be picking one up once I can afford it. Will no doubt save a lot of money in the long run. :D

PS. I wonder how long it'll take Sony to release a firmware update that blocks these...

Thanks mate! A bit pricey for me at the moment, but I'll definitely be picking one up once I can afford it. Will no doubt save a lot of money in the long run. :D

PS. I wonder how long it'll take Sony to release a firmware update that blocks these...

Hopefully NEVER. :scat:

So for example then if my PS3 is updated to the most current firmware, I can plug this in and it will play any region Blu-Ray?

So with this you cant keep an updated firmware version on the PS3? I mean how are you suppose to play games online without updated PS3 firmware...

Really interested in this little thing as having a region free PS3 would be JUST AMAZING!

So with this you cant keep an updated firmware version on the PS3? I mean how are you suppose to play games online without updated PS3 firmware...

Really interested in this little thing as having a region free PS3 would be JUST AMAZING!

Usually everything works the same as the Updated Firmware:D

Homebrew Firmwares like this one are always being Updated. If 3.55 gets locked out by Sony then someone will just work around it or just do another Homebrew Update. This has been going on with the PSP for a long time:D

Reactions: Jason Bourne
Usually everything works the same as the Updated Firmware:D

Homebrew Firmwares like this one are always being Updated. If 3.55 gets locked out by Sony then someone will just work around it or just do another Homebrew Update. This has been going on with the PSP for a long time:D

Ahhh k I see. So every time the PS3 updates its firmware someone figures out a firmware update for the dongle to match.... I understood correct?

I might have to seriously look into this then. Would be awesome having a region free PS3. :)

Cooey, keep us updated.
I'm curious about this and firmware updates... this could be too good to be true... EEK!