Cutting the cord? The best of all worlds...

Have you "cut the cord"?

• Yes, I have-I don't use ANY Cable/Satellite company for content

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes I have, but I still have a basic Cable/Satellite package

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, I have not, but I am thinking about it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No, I have not, and don't plan on doing so

Votes: 8 44.4%

Votes: 8 44.4%

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
So if you cut cable, you save a ton of money ... money you could put into other services. If you were to do that, or already have done that ...

which services would you recommend?

Netflix, Hulu and more? Anyone know what difference is with Hulu and Hulu+

So if you cut cable, you save a ton of money ... money you could put into other services. If you were to do that, or already have done that ...

which services would you recommend?

Netflix, Hulu and more? Anyone know what difference is with Hulu and Hulu+

I have netflix. Hulu is free but only has like the last 6 episodes from a season. Hulu+ is like netflix and has a ton more. If you just want rentals VUDU isn't TOO bad, especially compared to the PSN store.

We probably watch 10% of all Cable, and found it to be a complete waste. A few months ago, I started looking into alternatives.

We tried Hulu Plus, but didn't like the fact that it had limited shows. Of course it's only a few bucks per month, but if you want a wider variety and don't mind older seasons, or tend to catch up later with most TV shows, then I'd say Netflix with streaming would be a good option.

I now have a Roku in our livingroom (and based on the reviews and already owning 4 players in the house, I didn't want to add another just for streaming functionality). We love it and use it for Pandora music(free), Netflix streaming, Space Channel vids, and other channels. We use Netflix 2 disc plan for new releases (we tried a higher plan, but never watched them since we also own over 1600 movies), or other things we want to try in Blu-Ray (or DVD, if not in streaming).

However, as of right now, we still found there is a gap in our accessibility of course, because Cable lets us DVR current shows, as well as browse for programming not on either of the instant services. Like many, we "choose" to be stuck between a rock and a hard place, as we could cut the cord completely. However, our tastes vary in terms of content, so I am not sure we're ready to limit ourselves completely.

I have cut the cord, and I haven't missed a single football game, either.

Netflix covers older movies. In general, anytime I've thought of a movie I wanted to watch netflix didn't have it for instant streaming. That has kind of put me off a little, but for just browsing for something interesting I dig the documentaries and especially the independent film category. Having previous seasons of family guy is a plus.

Hulu let's me catch up on some television stuff that I may be interested in, most notably family guy, daily show, colbert report, etc...

Football? Channelsurfing.net

There was only one time I got cut off while watching a game due to an NFL copyright infringement issue, but since I had my radio tuned in while I watched I didn't miss a beat I just couldn't see it.

I've got a vga cable to patch into my plasma and use it as a monitor so if I am really hankering to watch on a big screen I just move my computer. This was obviously way easier when I had my laptop, but the ex c*nt took it while heading out the door so movin the desktop once in awhile is kind of a hassle but at least I do get to catch the games.

Haven't missed cable yet.

We got rid of our dish last summer. I put a regular antenna in the attic, and now I'm getting all the local stuff in HD for free. We also have Netflix. If the Chiefs aren't on TV, I listen to the games through Sirius.

I wish I could, but unfortunately there's no channel that airs the finest football leagues from around the globe so I'd rather pay the price to enjoy the game.

Canada is so far off the mark when it comes to getting digital streams that I'm afraid I'll be handing my money over to a cable company for many years to come. If I could I would cut it but not sure what I'd do about Football.

Well.. I'm in a weird situation...

I'm 100% cable free... But others in my house aren't. And the home phone/internet is CHEAPER with cable... so we have it. But I don't use it.

I don't even have it hooked up in my room. lol...

It just goes to show how far we (in the UK) lag behind (hesitate to use the word) the rest of the world. We are just about getting a half way decent Satellite service ie HD (even tho I don't have it other than FreeSat HD about 5 channels).
We talk it up in all the mags but nothing seems to materialise outside the big cities and I live on the outskirts of London and there's naff all here !! Bandwidth is pathetic compared to most "civilised" countries. Just rolling out major fibre-optic provision now for land line calls (at least the copper cables won't get dug up and sold down the scrapyard as used to happen). Bloody nightmare. btw that only relates to the hardware infrastructure don't even get me started on the service (or lack of it) of the providers.

According a recent stat I read, Netflix accounts for 20-30% bandwith for streaming in US. No wonder cable operators are trying to shoot them from the sky, LOL....

I use Windows Media Center to watch/record over the air TV and Netflix for watching older TV shows. I REFUSE to pay for cable! For the price of about 4-5 months of cable, I built myself a small HTPC to get FREE OTA TV for as long as my computer will run (going on 2 years now).

I haven't had cable service in well over 3 years.

I get most of my tv through "online services". ;)

I buy all my movies now, usually through pawn shops where they are a fraction of the price of new therefore I save money that way.

Other people in my home use Netflix quite a bit but I never found it that useful myself. Probably because the Canadian branch of netflix doesn't have half the TV broadcast rights the US branch has.

When its Hockey Season I just use CBC's free streams or other online streaming sites.

All streaming services blow in Canada. I mean they suck. And realistically if you love your sports in HD on the big screen there is no other way to get it other then cable. If your willing to watch it in lower quality then there are options I guess.

The ONLY reason we still have cable is for HD sports and thats it. I can't live without TSN, Rogers, CBC and Speed.