Disney To No Longer Offer Physical Media in Australia

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
On the heel of the news that Disney will be no longer supporting physical releases in Australia after GOTG3, and that the Canada version of Disney Movie Club will be closing,
it has occurred to me that members here may not yet know, so posting here for visibility.

FOR ANY MEMBER - some of my steelbook listings might be sold out, if there's time to restock I can if you were hoping to source in your own country, let me know if you need
help going forward.

Secondly, I am also considering placing a Group Buy order with Disney Movie Club in the USA and could reship any requests directly to you. That would require a custom invoice from me and
a bit of extra work, but if you are concerned Disney might pull the plug on the USA store, maybe now is the time to source a Disney Blu-ray that is only available to the club.

If there is enough demand, I would be willing to help, we've done this before and it's gone well.

Sources:

The writing is definitely on the wall for physical media. I hate it but it's the sad reality. The revenue has shrunk astronomically so no wonder its no longer viable in smaller markets like Australia. It's probably only a matter of time before we see this in other territories (I've read it's already happened in East Asia - outside of Japan), I wonder how much larger the UK market is and with the rapid rate of decline how long until we're staring the reality of losing physical media distributors in the face.a

Probably doesn't help how expensive it's become to buy steelbooks. £30 for a catalogue title is **** you money and I just won't pay it, even if it contributes to the demise of physical media

Same here in Italy, where Eagle is the official Sony and Disney (including FOX) distributor since january, just like Plaion with Paramount titles; both are simply distribution deals, nothing more
That's what i mean though, they're distribution partners, just like smlife was in SK. It's still a disney release. It's not like they're licensing off their titles for other companies to release.

Reactions: bradipolpo
The writing is definitely on the wall for physical media. I hate it but it's the sad reality. The revenue has shrunk astronomically so no wonder its no longer viable in smaller markets like Australia. It's probably only a matter of time before we see this in other territories (I've read it's already happened in East Asia - outside of Japan), I wonder how much larger the UK market is and with the rapid rate of decline how long until we're staring the reality of losing physical media distributors in the face.a

Probably doesn't help how expensive it's become to buy steelbooks. £30 for a catalogue title is **** you money and I just won't pay it, even if it contributes to the demise of physical media

Supposedly the "writing has been on the wall" for a couple of years now at least and yet nobody has a timeline for when all physical media will cease.

It's easy to say something is going to die. Just like people will die. It's just a matter of time. Same with the Earth.

But when for physical media? Next year? 2 years? A decade?

Nobody knows.

But people just like to predict the end so that one day, 10 years down the road they can say "told you so."

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hereticz
The writing is definitely on the wall for physical media. I hate it but it's the sad reality. The revenue has shrunk astronomically so no wonder its no longer viable in smaller markets like Australia. It's probably only a matter of time before we see this in other territories (I've read it's already happened in East Asia - outside of Japan), I wonder how much larger the UK market is and with the rapid rate of decline how long until we're staring the reality of losing physical media distributors in the face.
Yet ViaVision/Imprint, and Umbrella are doing fine, releasing more each month than Disney.
It's just Dishney is an ashole company, that probably considers the income from physical media too small to bother.

As noted, the volumes seem to be low enough that it's not cost effective for Disney to do physical releases here anymore. Most shops have stopped stocking physical media, so it's really only JB Hi-Fi that you can purchase from in store. This will make the cost of getting a lot of the releases I want much more expensive, as the prices for Disney steelbooks here were always pretty good compared to other regions (e.g. GotG Vol. 3 is AU$44.98, which equates to US$30.38, including tax), even if you didn't get a digital version included. Importing these releases will probably end up around double the cost.

Reactions: winter_soldier
Simple thinking :D. That doesn't mean like most ppl think - no physical media from them there on, there'll be other distributor/s, it's just that. Sure though not in that range as if Disney would distribute there themselves :).
See Filmarena Predator and weep.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
I think it's worth also mentioning that The Little Mermaid uk 4k Steelbook is available on Amazon UK so it will make it easier for anyone in Australia or elsewhere to import via the Global store. I don't know if that was an internal move by Disney or if upcoming releases like Elemental, Haunted Mansion, Dail of Destiny will have a similar release on HMV, Zavvi and Amazon or if they will revert back to HMV exclusives or zavvi. Guess we've got to take it a release at a time

Excited Lets Go GIF

I don't know if that was an internal move by Disney or if upcoming releases like Elemental, Haunted Mansion, Dail of Destiny will have a similar release on HMV, Zavvi and Amazon or if they will revert back to HMV exclusives or zavvi. Guess we've got to take it a release at a time
Disney is just such a caring company, they're protecting the better parts of the world from their recent crappy creations. UK and US are just lost to them, but Australia and other places can survive!

fallout vault boy GIF by kotutohum

Supposedly the "writing has been on the wall" for a couple of years now at least and yet nobody has a timeline for when all physical media will cease.

It's easy to say something is going to die. Just like people will die. It's just a matter of time. Same with the Earth.

But when for physical media? Next year? 2 years? A decade?

Nobody knows.

But people just like to predict the end so that one day, 10 years down the road they can say "told you so."

:rolleyes:
It probably want disappear completely but there’s a string argument it’s basically a shambling zombie at this point.

So much stuff is out of print. A lot more has never even seen Blu-Ray release (especially TV). Now we have all this stuff from Amazon, Netflix and Disney that will never get a physical release. If, like me, your plan was to own discs of all of your favourite media that is more unobtainable now than ever.

The Marvel tv shows have largely been dogshit (the last I watched was moo knight) but if I wanted to own Wandavision so Doctor Strange 2 made a little sense I can’t. So what’s the point I owning Doctor Strange 2.

I can’t get 24 on Blu unless I import from Japan.

I tried to get Layer Cake on blu but it’s out of print. Don’t worry it will never see 4K release as that’s even more niche…

This will reach breaking poin. Sales will continue to decrease meaning more retailers cease to trade or just stop selling physical meaning more people will stop collecting. As sakes decrease even larger markets become unsustainable.

It doesn’t matter if we still get discs for new releases.. the hobby is ****** already

It probably want disappear completely but there’s a string argument it’s basically a shambling zombie at this point.

So much stuff is out of print. A lot more has never even seen Blu-Ray release (especially TV). Now we have all this stuff from Amazon, Netflix and Disney that will never get a physical release. If, like me, your plan was to own discs of all of your favourite media that is more unobtainable now than ever.

The Marvel tv shows have largely been dogshit (the last I watched was moo knight) but if I wanted to own Wandavision so Doctor Strange 2 made a little sense I can’t. So what’s the point I owning Doctor Strange 2.

I can’t get 24 on Blu unless I import from Japan.

I tried to get Layer Cake on blu but it’s out of print. Don’t worry it will never see 4K release as that’s even more niche…

This will reach breaking poin. Sales will continue to decrease meaning more retailers cease to trade or just stop selling physical meaning more people will stop collecting. As sakes decrease even larger markets become unsustainable.

It doesn’t matter if we still get discs for new releases.. the hobby is ****** already
Bill Murray Film GIF

Yet ViaVision/Imprint, and Umbrella are doing fine, releasing more each month than Disney.
It's just Dishney is an ashole company, that probably considers the income from physical media too small to bother.
I’ve never heard of them. I want films/tv I like not obscure b movies. Where is the abyss? Where the bbc version of the office? A bunch of David Attenborough’s documentaries are trapped on dvd… The simpsons is dvd only and now those are out of print… How do I watch “Rings of Power”, “stranger things” or “Man in the high castle”? Sorry but small time labels pumping out niche filler won’t save anything

I’ve never heard of them. I want films/tv I like not obscure b movies. Where is the abyss? Where the bbc version of the office? A bunch of David Attenborough’s documentaries are trapped on dvd… The simpsons is dvd only and now those are out of print… How do I watch “Rings of Power”, “stranger things” or “Man in the high castle”? Sorry but small time labels pumping out niche filler won’t save anything
  1. Well, you're definitely a sunny fella, aren't you?
  2. I understand your 'pain', loads of stuff I want hasn't been released, although it's mostly what you'd seemingly call 'niche filler'.
  3. I wasn't saying those 'boutique' companies will save anything - although they did fulfill a lot of collectors' wishes!
  4. I'm currently watching The Simpsons for the first time in order, from the beginning, so I just downloaded first 20 seasons in HD - got a dedicated 2TB pink Seagate HDD for'em.
  5. Everything else mentioned also on HDD.
Imprint released many awesome movies, with new/exclusive extras, some for the first time ever on BD, so did Umbrella.

1. Well, you're definitely a sunny fella, aren't you?
  2. I understand your 'pain', loads of stuff I want hasn't been released, although it's mostly what you'd seemingly call 'niche filler'.
  3. I wasn't saying those 'boutique' companies will save anything - although they did fulfill a lot of collectors' wishes!
  4. I'm currently watching The Simpsons for the first time in order, from the beginning, so I just downloaded first 20 seasons in HD - got a dedicated 2TB pink Seagate HDD for'em.
  5. Everything else mentioned also on HDD.
Imprint released many awesome movies, with new/exclusive extras, some for the first time ever on BD, so did Umbrella.
That’s great but piracy is not for everyone. But you do you