Doctor Who - Fury From the Deep (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Dec 13, 2018
Release date: September 14, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Zoom - HMV
Price: £27.99 (Amazon - Zavvi) - £28.99 (Zoom) - £29.99 (HMV)

dr.png

Doctor Who.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The story is the missing sixth serial of the fifth season of Doctor Who, a six-part adventure that was first aired in 1968. However, original tapes of the show went missing after broadcast, meaning no complete copy exists within the BBC archives. Only snippets of footage and still images are around to represent the story.
However, as off-air recordings of the soundtrack survived, an animated recreation was possible using the voices of the original cast.
After the Second Doctor (Troughton) and companions Frazer (Jamie McCrimmon) and Deborah (Victoria Waterfield) materialise in the ocean off the eastern English coast, they soon become entangled with the colony of parasitic seaweed hell-bent on taking over humanity.

Promo - youtube

Amazon Price now listed as £27.99:

matching Zavvi's:

Also available to pre-order from Zoom (at £28.99):

and HMV (£29.99):

Last edited:
The story is the missing sixth serial of the fifth season of Doctor Who, a six-part adventure that was first aired in 1968. However, original tapes of the show went missing after broadcast, meaning no complete copy exists within the BBC archives. Only snippets of footage and still images are around to represent the story.

The tapes didn't got missing. Sue Malden who was in charge of the BBC archive simply didn't check what they did or didn't have and just wiped tapes. This started around 1969 and continued to 1974. This cultural vandalism didn't come to light until Ian Lavine wanted to buy copies of classic Dr Who stories for his private collection and he approached the BBC and was horrified than a lot of the classic show were wiped. This was around 1978 / 1979. So stories that have been returned have been copies of 16mm b/w prints that were sold overseas, copies from private collectors or in one case a story that was misplaced and discovered. Sadly there is zero chance now of most of the missing stories ever being recovered. To make matters worse, most overseas companies had the option of returning the film prints or destroying them. Sadly 99.9% of the time they were wiped. To put things into perspective NO master 405 or 625 video tapes exist of any 60's Dr Who stories and the 1st Doctor to whom all master tapes exist is Tom Baker with Robot unwards. Very sad indeed the amount of classic shows (not just Dr Who) that no longer exist........

Includes:
• Animation Episodes 1-6 (Colour)
• Animation Episodes 1-6 (Black and White)
• Production Subtitles
• Audio Commentaries
• Surviving Footage
• Episode 6 Film Trims
• Episode 6 Behind The Scenes 8mm Footage
• Behind the Scenes
• Teaser Trailer
• Telesnap Reconstruction Episodes 1-6 with Optional Narration by Frazer Hines.
• Photo Gallery
• The Cruel Sea – Making Fury From The Deep
• Archive Interviews
• The Slide Audio Drama
• PDF Scripts

The Ultimate in taking the piss out of the fans. Saw it on it's original transmission and that's the only version I want to see. But you know where this is all heading. The classic blu-ray range is going to hit a hurdle when they get to the 4th season as either the story doesn't exist or only a few episodes exist of a story. It really is a catastrophic wiping of a classic show. So lets put cheap as chips animation versions on the set and flog it for another £40 when we're already milked the fans with this junk.

The Ultimate in taking the piss out of the fans. Saw it on it's original transmission and that's the only version I want to see. But you know where this is all heading. The classic blu-ray range is going to hit a hurdle when they get to the 4th season as either the story doesn't exist or only a few episodes exist of a story. It really is a catastrophic wiping of a classic show. So lets put cheap as chips animation versions on the set and flog it for another £40 when we're already milked the fans with this junk.
I was still hiding behind the sofa at that time. As soon as that eerie title music wafted it's way in to the living room, I just couldn't bear to watch it! All I recall from the B&W era growing up was everyone running back to the TARDIS to escape whatever nasty was chasing them (it felt as though that's all they did, but in reality probably only ever happened once or twice, but obviously left such an impression on my young mind)! I never really got in to it until The Three Doctors aired, and then I REALLY got in to it - watching all and any repeats whenever they were on to catch previous stories I had missed (which they often showed in a heavily edited omnibus format over a Bank Holiday Weekend), and hoovering up any Target novelisations as soon as they started to appear on the bookshelves in WHSmith etc. :)

I was still hiding behind the sofa at that time. As soon as that eerie title music wafted it's way in to the living room, I just couldn't bear to watch it! All I recall from the B&W era growing up was everyone running back to the TARDIS to escape whatever nasty was chasing them (it felt as though that's all they did, but in reality probably only ever happened once or twice, but obviously left such an impression on my young mind)! I never really got in to it until The Three Doctors aired, and then I REALLY got in to it - watching all and any repeats whenever they were on to catch previous stories I had missed (which they often showed in a heavily edited omnibus format over a Bank Holiday Weekend), and hoovering up any Target novelisations as soon as they started to appear on the bookshelves in WHSmith etc. :)

I was a regular watcher from Power of the Daleks and then really got hooked by the Jon Pertwee episodes but for me personally it was the Tom Baker era that really cemented for me the glory years of the show. I honestly don't think the show ever recovered from Tom leaving. I give up on the show around 7 years ago but at least we have a good chunk of the classic show still to enjoy and we do know there are at least 20 missing episodes in private hands. With Patrick Troughton's 1st season so badly represented odds on those episodes in private hands are from that season (unless it's Marco Polo!)

Reactions: GeoRattray
Received my copy from Amazon yesterday. Although it went 'missing' for a while - just like the original episodes themselves! The Amazon delivery person put it through my neighbour's letterbox for some unknown reason. So I received an email saying it had been delivered but with no sign of my steelbook anywhere near my front door (and I checked all the possible locations it could have been left outside). Fortunately, when my neighbour returned home mid-afternoon, she brought it round for me. By then, I had already been on to Amazon who said I would need to wait until Wednesday before requesting a replacement or refund! Which was a bit of a worry as, at the time, they only had 11 remaining in stock, which I saw drop to 8, 5 and then 3 by the time my neighbour came round! In fact, when it reached 3, I ordered a replacement myself but then cancelled it after checking that my original copy was fine.

Received my copy from Amazon yesterday. Although it went 'missing' for a while - just like the original episodes themselves! The Amazon delivery person put it through my neighbour's letterbox for some unknown reason. So I received an email saying it had been delivered but with no sign of my steelbook anywhere near my front door (and I checked all the possible locations it could have been left outside). Fortunately, when my neighbour returned home mid-afternoon, she brought it round for me. By then, I had already been on to Amazon who said I would need to wait until Wednesday before requesting a replacement or refund! Which was a bit of a worry as, at the time, they only had 11 remaining in stock, which I saw drop to 8, 5 and then 3 by the time my neighbour came round! In fact, when it reached 3, I ordered a replacement myself but then cancelled it after checking that my original copy was fine.

They are very good at that. Lost count of a knock on the door from a next door neighbour with one of my parcels.

They are very good at that. Lost count of a knock on the door from a next door neighbour with one of my parcels.
First time that's ever happened to me with Amazon TBH (apart from when I've not been in and they've deliberately left it with one of my neighbours).

Still, got a £5 credit from Amazon for the inconvenience of it all. And this won't be the first time I have said that Zavvi CS could learn an awful lot from Amazon CS!

First time that's ever happened to me with Amazon TBH (apart from when I've not been in and they've deliberately left it with one of my neighbours).

Still, got a £5 credit from Amazon for the inconvenience of it all. And this won't be the first time I have said that Zavvi CS could learn an awful lot from Amazon CS!

Ah, but when you report a missing steelbook to Zavvi they at least ask you if a neighbour has received it on your behalf :LOL: