Donnie Darko (4K UHD Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

BluSteel2012

Premium Supporter
Jan 4, 2012
Ireland
Release date: April 26, 2021
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £35.00 (Arrow) - £34.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)

143544778_4027739017260062_3412368921620493544_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It does say on the back of this "Brand New 4k restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Directors Cut from the original camera negatives". But these are Blu-rays and whereas this new edition is UHD discs I guess. Just wondered if this new edition has been restored AGAIN or if its the same version, just on a UHD disc as opposed to Blu-ray

It says on the booklet: "Donnie Darko has been exclusively restored for this release by Arrow Films", so I presume they restored it again for this release. Though don't quote me on it. Sadly the disc does not indicate what version it is, and has no disc number as well.

Just got my copy in. Looks gorgeous - and that's just the box. I didn't know there was an actual book with this release. This is the kind of film where you have to be in the right mood to sit and watch but I still have an urge to revisit it this weekend.

Reactions: Shark
It says on the booklet: "Donnie Darko has been exclusively restored for this release by Arrow Films", so I presume they restored it again for this release. Though don't quote me on it. Sadly the disc does not indicate what version it is, and has no disc number as well.
It's the same 4K restoration that was used for the Blu-ray release in 2016 and same extras
Only difference is the book and it's a UHD release and a slip with new artwork

This is also why no new blu-ray release edition as arrow already released the 4K restoration on Blu-ray

4K restoration has nothing to do with disc format UHD/Blu-ray etc
Restoration has to do with scanning a film negative or interpositive and from this scan doing a restoration
That restoration can then be used to put on a disc format or as a file for streaming

Some film scans are done at 2K/4K/6K/8K/12K/16K

Film restoration and disc format are completely different things

Some people since the lanuch of UHD format get confused when they see 4K restoration and think that means 4K UHD
It does not mean 4K UHD

A 2K/4K/6K etc etc film scan restoration can be put on a DVD/Blu-ray or UHD or even be a file for streaming

It's the same 4K restoration that was used for the Blu-ray release in 2016 and same extras
Only difference is the book and it's a UHD release and a slip with new artwork

This is also why no new blu-ray release edition as arrow already released the 4K restoration on Blu-ray

4K restoration has nothing to do with disc format UHD/Blu-ray etc
Restoration has to do with scanning a film negative or interpositive and from this scan doing a restoration
That restoration can then be used to put on a disc format or as a file for streaming

Some film scans are done at 2K/4K/6K/8K/12K/16K

Film restoration and disc format are completely different things

Some people since the lanuch of UHD format get confused when they see 4K restoration and think that means 4K UHD
It does not mean 4K UHD

A 2K/4K/6K etc etc film scan restoration can be put on a DVD/Blu-ray or UHD or even be a file for streaming
That's good to know, thanks for that. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to transfers and stuff.

Just read that there could be an issue with the theatrical cut disc (something about the picture & framing quality). Haven't watched it yet, so hopefully someone who has viewed could confirm if it has or not.

That's good to know, thanks for that. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to transfers and stuff.

Just read that there could be an issue with the theatrical cut disc (something about the picture & framing quality). Haven't watched it yet, so hopefully someone who has viewed could confirm if it has or not.
heard this too, haven't received mine either, but wanting to hear more about this possible issue.

heard this too, haven't received mine either, but wanting to hear more about this possible issue.

Heard they're meant to be setting up a disc replacement scheme for this due to those issues.

please post any relative info guys.

i don't even have a 4k player (or tv), yet, so any issues would be great to hear about.

thank you everyone.

and edit to add that in have indeed ordered this item. due Friday from unobstructed view

Been trying to find info on this myself and a quick Google search brought this up on YouTube. Unsure how widespread the problem really is though

not all people have problems with the disc though, I wonder if there is a problem only with some specific players

Both discs play fine, full 4K HDR, on my Region Free LG UBK90. Haven’t caught up to the part where the audio cuts out yet, watching the theatrical cut now.

Have brightness all the way up on my TV (Samsung QLED) and the movie looks normal... like it has any other time I’ve watched. On par with, or slightly better than the previous Arrow reissue.

Reactions: Inb4LoKi
I checked my discs today (on Xbox One S) and the theatrical cut definitely has frame rate issues.. it's quite choppy. I will say though, the film looks less dark than the previous Arrow blu-ray and the new 4K is a noticeably better transfer, although I am watching and comparing on a 100' screen.