Donnie Darko (Blu-ray+DVD with Slipbox Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release Date: December 12th, 2016
Purchase Links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £27.99 (Arrow Films) - £23.99 (Amazon UK) - £24.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: Limited to 5,000

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts

• Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut

• Brand-new interviews with cast and crew, including Richard Kelly and XXX

• The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films

• The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster

• Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly

• Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster

• Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary

• Storyboard comparisons

• B-roll footage

• Cunning Visions infomercials

• Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules

• Galleries

• Trailers

• TV spots

• Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials

• Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

DETAILS:

RRP: £34.99 £27.99

Region: B/2

Rating: 15

Duration: 113 and 133 mins

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: DTS-HD 5.1

Discs: 4

Colour

1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, I thought they would of sent them out in decent packaging. Are you going to return it?

Amazons Is a pound cheaper than zavvi by they way. Been that for months too
I hadn't actually compared prices since pre-ordering, so I obviously should've checked before making the assumption that Zavvi's would still be cheaper. Great news that Amazon's is the better deal now anyway. :thumbs:

The damage to my copy is on one of the back corners, and I've managed to push it back out slightly, so it's not noticeable when being displayed... still annoying though! If it were any other company then I'd return it without a doubt, but I can't be arsed to deal with Zavvi's awful customer service, especially when they make me pay for return postage, as I'd still be losing out. (n)

Oh well, lesson learned... avoid Zavvi at all costs from now on!

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I hadn't actually compared prices since pre-ordering, so I obviously should've checked before making the assumption that Zavvi's would still be cheaper. Great news that Amazon's is the better deal now anyway. :thumbs:

The damage to my copy is on one of the back corners, and I've managed to push it back out slightly, so it's not noticeable when being displayed... still annoying though! If it were any other company then I'd return it without a doubt, but I can't be arsed to deal with Zavvi's awful customer service, especially when they make me pay for return postage, as I'd still be losing out. (n)

Oh well, lesson learned... avoid Zavvi at all costs from now on!

Wow! They make you pay costs?

Basically the thing I've learned with Zavvi and sadly tolerated is they will try their hardest to screw you over when you have a damaged item with partial refunds and paying postage for returns but I've found that you just need to be stern with them. I used to get very aggy with them on messages but I don't now

Although I did loose my sh*t with them the other week when they honoured all orders outside the uk for the 3 steels for £12 glitch and they cancelled all uk orders and then blatently lied to me with some stock issue generic response

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Wow! They make you pay costs?

Basically the thing I've learned with Zavvi and sadly tolerated is they will try their hardest to screw you over when you have a damaged item with partial refunds and paying postage for returns but I've found that you just need to be stern with them. I used to get very aggy with them on messages but I don't now

Although I did loose my sh*t with them the other week when they honoured all orders outside the uk for the 3 steels for £12 glitch and they cancelled all uk orders and then blatently lied to me with some stock issue generic response
Last time I ordered a set like this from them they downright refused to pay for return postage, no matter how stern I got with them... so I imagine I'd only get the same response if I wanted to return this. I made the same mistake with Assault on Precinct 13 and promised I'd never order anything like that from them again, totally forgetting that I'd ordered Donnie Darko with Zavvi rather than Amazon. :facepalm:

What you said doesn't really surprise me anyway mate... it's typical behaviour from them. I ordered a Criterion from them and there was no movement for weeks, so I contacted them about it and just received one of their usual copy and paste responses about waiting for more stock from their supplier... fishy thing was that it's been in stock ever since I ordered and someone I follow on Instagram even ordered the same item after I did yet still received it. I cancelled my order with them and bought it from Zoom in the end, as I'll be doing with most of my orders from now on. ;)

• Helpful Post
Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon.co.uk and for £23.99 it's an absolute steal IMO. Nice premium feel to it, the hardback book is great and it's loaded to the brim with extras! I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching this again (this will be one of the rare ones where I will watch the theatrical cut, and then the directors cut straight away after)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Quick question for everyone who has this set...

If you look at @dan8885's photo below you can see crease/fold lines on the top and bottom frontside of the box... I've noticed some people's photos don't seem to show this, so I'm wondering if it's just an unlucky few (myself included if that's the case). It's not a big deal really, but it's still been bugging me, especially when the back is flat/smooth compared to the front, which is obviously what is seen when being displayed on the shelf.

11111.jpg

• Thanks

If you look at @dan8885's photo below you can see crease/fold lines on the top and bottom frontside of the box... I've noticed some people's photos don't seem to show this, so I'm wondering if it's just an unlucky few (myself included if that's the case). It's not a big deal really, but it's still been bugging me, especially when the back is flat/smooth compared to the front, which is obviously what is seen when being displayed on the shelf.

View attachment 281207

That's how they glued the Boxset. To be fair, this is only shown under direct light. I got it on display and it's not really visible there. I'm okay with it but I can also see your concern.

• Thanks

View attachment 281207
I'm guessing a few may have been glued the wrong way around. Most of Arrows Boxsets have these lines but they are always at the back. Looking at some of the other pics the front is smooth so I'm guessing a few were stuck on the wrong way round.:(

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Noodles
That's how they glued the Boxset. To be fair, this is only shown under direct light. I got it on display and it's not really visible there. I'm okay with it but I can also see your concern.
Yep, I'm used to seeing them on most sets like this, but I've never seen them on the front before, and especially not as noticeable as they are here... so it's a bit disappointing IMO. :(

I'm guessing a few may have been glued the wrong way around. Most of Arrows Boxsets have these lines but they are always at the back. Looking at some of the other pics the front is smooth so I'm guessing a few were stuck on the wrong way round.:(
I've just been looking through Instagram at other photos of this set and didn't spot a single one with the same issue. Seems it is just an unlucky few, so you're probably right about them being printed/stuck on the wrong way around... just my luck! (n)

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and dan8885
Hmm I'm half tempted to order another copy from Amazon and maybe give my current one away or something. This is a gorgeous set for one of my favourite films, so it's bugging me that mine has so many imperfections... I also noticed some bubbling on the front of mine earlier too. :ugh:

• Thanks
Last time I ordered a set like this from them they downright refused to pay for return postage, no matter how stern I got with them... so I imagine I'd only get the same response if I wanted to return this. I made the same mistake with Assault on Precinct 13 and promised I'd never order anything like that from them again, totally forgetting that I'd ordered Donnie Darko with Zavvi rather than Amazon. :facepalm:

What you said doesn't really surprise me anyway mate... it's typical behaviour from them. I ordered a Criterion from them and there was no movement for weeks, so I contacted them about it and just received one of their usual copy and paste responses about waiting for more stock from their supplier... fishy thing was that it's been in stock ever since I ordered and someone I follow on Instagram even ordered the same item after I did yet still received it. I cancelled my order with them and bought it from Zoom in the end, as I'll be doing with most of my orders from now on. ;)

That's so bad, just can't believe they would refuse it.
I'm trying to think of the things I've ordered from zavvi that are bigger than steels and can only think of pops, I've had some damaged that have been fine sending back for a refund or replacement. Oh and vinyl but I've only returned 1 of them (Luke cage as it was so badly damaged)

One of my first zavvi orders was the dark knight rises bat cowl (well before I joined this site and properly collected steels) and I remember having to return that for a replacement because the disc was scratched but that was years ago and I think the process was fine from what I remember

I still can't believe they cancelled all uk orders for the 3 for £12. They told me they cancelled all of them but I explained they only cancelled uk orders, I've even seen members on here from outside the uk bragging about how they got 12 or 15 items in the 3 for £12 glitch and they were fulfilled so I gave them a piece of my mind. I cancelled all orders except dr strange (which I'll prob cancel closer the time and wait for Blu fans and nova) and fright night. Told them I won't be using them much and I'll bad mouth them as much as I can online (lol like now)
They then said if I want the items I need to re order them in the 3 for £20 but 2 of the items have sold out!!!
I just laughed, how can I re order of they aren't avalibale to order. Clowns, jokers and Cowboys

anyway I actually managed to stick an order in for this last night when it came back in at £23.99,
It was a risk because I don't have much in my account for a few days but it went through which was lucky.

• Thanks
Glad you managed to stick an order in @Flloydo

Mine arrived from Amazon today and i love it. I originally ordered it ages ago from Amazon but it said estimates delivery date was this friday or something so i cancelled in hoping i could pop into HMV yesterday to grab a copy. Went to HMV yesterday and they didnt have any in store. I then went to FOPP but they didnt have any but said that they could order me a copy for £32. I politely said no thanks. As soon as i came out of FOPP i stuck another order on Amazon (free postage again) but it got dispatched the same day and arrived today.

It was squeaky bum time for a moment.

• Thanks
Glad you managed to stick an order in @Flloydo

Mine arrived from Amazon today and i love it. I originally ordered it ages ago from Amazon but it said estimates delivery date was this friday or something so i cancelled in hoping i could pop into HMV yesterday to grab a copy. Went to HMV yesterday and they didnt have any in store. I then went to FOPP but they didnt have any but said that they could order me a copy for £32. I politely said no thanks. As soon as i came out of FOPP i stuck another order on Amazon (free postage again) but it got dispatched the same day and arrived today.

It was squeaky bum time for a moment.

Ha yeah I've had a few squeaky bum times before, glad you got it safely

I remember the uk rush, I thought it would stay in stock for a while but it was jumping off the shelves very quickly, I have 3 HMVs kinda near me but all in different directions and all need trains to get to (I've worked in 2 of them and always worked near one of them with my countless office jobs) and I was near one on that particular Monday and they didn't have any in stock (apparently 5 got robbed which is a common thing in the last few years with Hmv and them not having security anymore - which I why I've mentioned a few times in the threads to ask at the counter because the stores with higher theft keep them behind the counter - even though some have disaagreed with me even though I've worked there a few times lol) anyway they phoned the other store and they had copies but it's completely in the other direction having to go past where I live and further and another £6 on the train but I really wanted it so i was prepared, anyway I was walking through the high street and by luck I think it was sainsburys who miraculously got some in stock and I was lucky to get an order in

Same with HMVs hateful eight, one of the times I got it wrong with it sticking around also but luckily for a few days they kept appearing around 1am so got a order

That's a tip for Hmv, if the listing is still online but out of stock and you can notify by email the chances are the stock will update around 1am uk time. Not always but most of the time it does, sucide squad keeps doing the same the last few days and I guarantee it happens tonight (unless the listing has been deleted)

I know a few tricks with Hmv ;)

Thanks man and I'm very excited to get this, I don't really buy ammrays or box sets anymore so this is a first in a while and my first arrow set (apart from steels)

One of my all time top films and I panicked last night when Amazon went out of stock, didn't want to go with zavvi after past experinces and noodles experience and my only other option was entertainment store on eBay which would of been fine but I trust Amazon a little bit more

Can't wait to get it (Christmas present to myself)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kizza
Ha yeah I've had a few squeaky bum times before, glad you got it safely

I remember the uk rush, I thought it would stay in stock for a while but it was jumping off the shelves very quickly, I have 3 HMVs kinda near me but all in different directions and all need trains to get to (I've worked in 2 of them and always worked near one of them with my countless office jobs) and I was near one on that particular Monday and they didn't have any in stock (apparently 5 got robbed which is a common thing in the last few years with Hmv and them not having security anymore - which I why I've mentioned a few times in the threads to ask at the counter because the stores with higher theft keep them behind the counter - even though some have disaagreed with me even though I've worked there a few times lol) anyway they phoned the other store and they had copies but it's completely in the other direction having to go past where I live and further and another £6 on the train but I really wanted it so i was prepared, anyway I was walking through the high street and by luck I think it was sainsburys who miraculously got some in stock and I was lucky to get an order in

Same with HMVs hateful eight, one of the times I got it wrong with it sticking around also but luckily for a few days they kept appearing around 1am so got a order

That's a tip for Hmv, if the listing is still online but out of stock and you can notify by email the chances are the stock will update around 1am uk time. Not always but most of the time it does, sucide squad keeps doing the same the last few days and I guarantee it happens tonight (unless the listing has been deleted)

I know a few tricks with Hmv ;)

Thanks man and I'm very excited to get this, I don't really buy ammrays or box sets anymore so this is a first in a while and my first arrow set (apart from steels)

One of my all time top films and I panicked last night when Amazon went out of stock, didn't want to go with zavvi after past experinces and noodles experience and my only other option was entertainment store on eBay which would of been fine but I trust Amazon a little bit more

Can't wait to get it (Christmas present to myself)

Good to know about HMV bud. Sometimes i go in and dont think to ask behind the counter.

The only time i have missed out on an edition that i wanted was the Arrow Hellraiser set last year. I asked the Mrs to stick me in an order for a xmas pressie and thought nothing of it. A few weeks later i asked her if she did it (after it had sold out) and she couldnt even remember our conversation. Still to this day, she denies me ever asking her for it. The funny thing was i was willing to buy it myself but she wanted to know what i wantes for xmas so i thought i would save myself some money.

Anyway, i was pissed with her for ages (obviously i was in the wrong cos women are always right haha).

I bought the standard edition on black friday from zavvi for £17 so i was pretty happy with that.

• Thanks
Good to know about HMV bud. Sometimes i go in and dont think to ask behind the counter.

The only time i have missed out on an edition that i wanted was the Arrow Hellraiser set last year. I asked the Mrs to stick me in an order for a xmas pressie and thought nothing of it. A few weeks later i asked her if she did it (after it had sold out) and she couldnt even remember our conversation. Still to this day, she denies me ever asking her for it. The funny thing was i was willing to buy it myself but she wanted to know what i wantes for xmas so i thought i would save myself some money.

Anyway, i was pissed with her for ages (obviously i was in the wrong cos women are always right haha).

I bought the standard edition on black friday from zavvi for £17 so i was pretty happy with that.

Yeah always ask if you can't see it

And always check the listing around 1am if it's out of stock, selling well and you desperately want it

The one I worked in last I still talk to a few mates and their theft has gone through the roof but the staff can't do anything about it, it's a shame. They are not allowed to stop them and use force. Also that particular high street in the last few months have decreased police officers and the scum bag theives know this, last time I spoke to my old manager was end of October and one guy comes in the store with a bag and just bundles box sets and steels in his bag and chips off. Have to have luck that there is a officer around to do something. Only other option is a hero civilian but even then they can get into trouble if they hurt the thief. It's so f*cked up

And I've witnessed this too. Ever since Hilco bought them they got rid of the instore security a few years back.

Shame about the hell raiser but at least you got a copy in Black Friday (I did see it and it looks awesome - been years since I see the films, in fact I was a kid lol)

And yeah they are always right lol (I've been single a couple of years now and that's the only thing i don't miss lol)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kizza
Lovely item alas mine arrived today from HMV and there is a Dent at the front bottom corner the shrink-wrap is ripped mainly the j card looks damaged which at first I was thinking what the hell maybe I will just throw the j card away as the inner box is possibly OK but on reflection I've decided it's going back I've had enough of receiving damaged items this year I refuse to accept it anymore whether it be Movies or Vinyl it just spoils what is a really nice Collectible item & HMV's packaging was flimsy & poor, decent packaging a bit of bubble wrap would make a world of difference but no one seems to care once they have your money and now I'm slowly losing interest in collecting because it's not worth the stress I'm Sick of spending my time making phone calls having to send emails/sending parcels back or just feeling deflated when stuff arrives damaged. These companies just don't get the concept of having A pristine collectors item because the packaging is rubbish. Anyway genuinely Well done to everyone who got a nice mint copy of this :thumbs:

@Flloydo I used to work in HMV ages ago as well. Very rarely go into any anymore though, I just do my shopping online but it never even struck me last time I was in that they didn't have any security guys anymore. So rare am I in there I have no clue when they stopped employing them. Any idea why? Just down to cost I would guess?

• Thanks
@Flloydo I used to work in HMV ages ago as well. Very rarely go into any anymore though, I just do my shopping online but it never even struck me last time I was in that they didn't have any security guys anymore. So rare am I in there I have no clue when they stopped employing them. Any idea why? Just down to cost I would guess?

I think it was a cost issue mate when hilco took over but it is silly because theft is huge in certain stores now

Reactions: Last Lizard
Watched the theatrical cut last night and was just saying aloud how I hate these cases : trying to get the discs out was making me sweat.

Just popped open director's cut and found the 'latches' so tight that they both snapped right away when I pushed them down with my thumb and finger. :confused::rofl:

Be careful with them guys. My theatrical latches were very pliable and my director's latches extremely tight.

Awful mechanism I hope I never see them again. :mad::whistle::smuggrin:

• Thanks