DTS Headphone:X

bigrob

UK Reviewer /Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 8, 2012
London UK
New Technology From DTS Delivers up to 11.1 Home Theater Surround Sound Experience From Headphones

DTS Headphone:X™ is an Advanced Headphone Technology Capable of Delivering a Home Theater Experience From Your Pocket

DTS, Inc. a leader in high-definition audio solutions and audio enhancement technologies today announced DTS Headphone:X™, the company's most advanced headphone technology to date, capable of recreating the home theater surround sound experience using only a pair of headphones. The technology externalizes sound, so instead of the listener hearing the sound inside their heads, as is typical for traditional headphone listening, they perceive it as coming from high quality loudspeakers located some distance around them. With benefits for both content owners and consumers, DTS Headphone:X presents a whole new way to hear mobile entertainment over headphones. Demonstrations of DTS Headphone:X technology will be given in the theater room located within DTS' booth at CES (LVCC, Central Hall, Booth 9839).

"Imagine having the ability to experience the latest action film in any movie theater you choose. Now, imagine taking that experience with you anywhere, anytime," said Geir Skaaden, Sr. vice president of products and platforms, DTS, Inc. "Essentially, Headphone:X was created to do just that. Headphone:X takes advantage of the advanced properties of the DTS-HD® audio codec, which allows us to precisely simulate the experience of being in any movie theater or the movie's mixing stage, and fine tuning that experience to an exact seat location within the room."

"I've been in this industry a long time and it is rare that a new audio technology catches my attention; however, DTS Headphone:X technology is easily the most impressive virtual headphone surround sound solution I've ever heard," said Geoff Emerick, multiple Grammy award-winning audio engineer and producer. "Its unlike anything I've ever heard before. You can virtually put yourself into any listening environment and hear all surround sound audio cues coming from their intended direction in space over a standard pair of headphones. It's like having a home theater in your pocket."

DTS Headphone:X enables content owners (e.g., movie studios, music labels or retail) to capture the acoustics of a high quality audio production studio and control the manner by which they are reproduced at the consumer end. Content providers can rest assured that the sonic reproduction presented to the listener can match the mix they so carefully crafted.

Features of DTS Headphone:X
•Home Theater in your Pocket (HTiP) with surround sound for headphones (up to 11.1 channels)
•Proprietary calibration to various headphone makes and models for optimized sound quality
•Post-processing enhancement techniques for premium audio production

Headphone:X will be demonstrated in the theater room within DTS' booth at CES. For more information about DTS, please visit www.dts.com, or connect with DTS on Facebook and Twitter (@DTS_Inc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jason Bourne
This also a great solution for people with home theatre setups where they want to go loud but cant due to living limitations like complaining neighbours, other people in the home bothered by the loud noise, etc.

Any word on actual product availability for retail and prices?

Not yet mate as it was announced yesterday but i'm gonna try and get suscribed to theor press releases and will update the thread with news when it arrives :)

Reactions: Jason Bourne
Not yet mate as it was announced yesterday but i'm gonna try and get suscribed to theor press releases and will update the thread with news when it arrives :)

Perfect! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to any new info and this a lot. I was thinking of getting a pair of really good headphones, Amp and DAC to turn the signal from my PS3 to surround for the headphones and do it that way since I have zero chance of being able to put in a decent sound system and turn it up for movies where Im living. But if this were to come out at a decent price and offer an easy solution to getting surround sound through headphones with some decent bass Im so totally in. I mean my headphones + Amp + DAC setup was going to run somewhere around $400 anyways (although the sound should be amazing with this setup).

Virtual surround sound can already be emulated in open air cans via software on the PC. And it sounds like 9.1

11.1 normally adds height and width. The height is already also simulated in the pc. How will one be able to tell apart widths from your standard real time panning is beyond me...

And the fact these are closed, on the ear headphones puts me in the skeptical group that you can actually get decent 11.1 virtualized surround sound. Will see when it actually hits the market.

Totally agree with Jason Bourne regarding the noisy neighbours living limitations.

These sound awesome. I'm definitely gonna' keep a look out for these!