Essential 4K's !

Space Cadet

[ sexy wolfchild ]
BANNED
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
H fellow Ninjas,

Been wondering alot what 4K blu-rays are essentially better than normal counterparts ?

Pretty sure others would like have hints too to upgrade their collection.

Thank you !

:thumbs:

tumbleweed-gif-4.gif

Q: How about Nolans BatMan trilogy and Interstellar ?

Heard that Interstellar might be not so good 4K.

Q: How about Nolans BatMan trilogy and Interstellar ?

Heard that Interstellar might be not so good 4K.
All 3 Batman movies better than the bluray, for sure. Interstellar not worth the ulgrade imo.

some of my essentials;
- The Raid. Good uppick on PQ, Atmos track is just amazing
- The Social Network. Great PQ, audio is amazingly realistic.
- Spiderman (spiderverse and across spiderverse). Reference overall!
- The Revenant. PQ is awesome, audio reference DTSHD
- Drive. Great improvement overall
- Mad Max Fur Road. 2hrs reference PQ and AQ. Must own
- Blade Runner 2049. Same as MM FR, must own.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the assignment, but aren't most 4K Blu-ray's an upgrade from the standard Blu-ray?
Outside of some outliers like the recent Cameron 4K's which are considered contentious.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the assignment, but aren't most 4K Blu-ray's an upgrade from the standard Blu-ray?
Outside of some outliers like the recent Cameron 4K's which are considered contentious.
A lot of the older Blu Rays were simply done by doing a quick HD 1080p transfer off a low quality source. That may have looked sharper by DVD standards, but they were clearly in need of a thorough image remaster from the original movie negative or intermediate prints.

"Most" (not all) 4k movies releases are complete remasters and contain a remastered 1080p Blu Ray disc which comes straight from the 4k scan. Put those BR discs next to their older BR siblings and the difference is night and day.

Reactions: Space Cadet
Drive,
The exorcist,
Don't look now,
Pulp fiction,
Interstellar,
The revenant,
Blade runner 2049,
2001 a space odyssey,
All quiet on the western front (2023),
Midsommar,
Everything everywhere all at once,
Oppenheimer,
Pearl,

Just realised I'm basically going through my 4k collection and listing everything, so I'll leave it there... I'm even boring myself... :sleep:

Image depth and black levels usually benefit from the 4k treatment..
For example, the Warner Bros animated logo at the beginning of The Suicide Squad looks pretty flat on the blu ray, however, in 4k it looks almost 3D with excellent depth....

Last edited:
"Most" (not all) 4k movies releases are complete remasters and contain a remastered 1080p Blu Ray disc which comes straight from the 4k scan. Put those BR discs next to their older BR siblings and the difference is night and day.
Yes, but using the same example and logic, most new releases on BD look pretty much the same, as UHD.

Basically when HD DVD and Blu-rays were coming out, I already had a few thousand DVD collection, so was thinking I'd only upgrade some titles, ending up grabbing absolutely every single one of course, out of those that ever got a BD edition at all.

With BD vs UHD it's not so definitive. Of course every new title you get in UHD right away, but not everything is worthy of un upgrade, especially if 'they' ruined the colors, like with Training Day... The Matrix... Lord of the Rings...

Reactions: Space Cadet
Yes, but using the same example and logic, most new releases on BD look pretty much the same, as UHD.

Basically when HD DVD and Blu-rays were coming out, I already had a few thousand DVD collection, so was thinking I'd only upgrade some titles, ending up grabbing absolutely every single one of course, out of those that ever got a BD edition at all.

With BD vs UHD it's not so definitive. Of course every new title you get in UHD right away, but not everything is worthy of un upgrade, especially if 'they' ruined the colors, like with Training Day... The Matrix... Lord of the Rings...
I agree. The 4k market is awash with strange choices , you most certainly have to do review research before you buy.
Ghostbusters for example. The 4k looks arguably worse than the Blu-ray it comes with, incredibly jarring and certainly not worth an upgrade.
It can definitely be hit and miss.

Reactions: Lenny Nero

Shortly.

Nope. For excample Pirates of Caribbean 4K's are terrible, so I've read.

Edit : And The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is bothersome too ... to mention couple big names.

I SO want the trilogy in 4K but can't get past the so so reviews...
Holding out in the hope they get a makeover further down the line but not confident...

I got the Kino Lober trilogy. Reivews are good on others than Ugly. Figures ... :woot:

Reactions: leelee17
Shortly.

Nope. For excample Pirates of Caribbean 4K's are terrible, so I've read.

Edit : And The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is bothersome too ... to mention couple big names.
Yes, these are still outliers?
I'd guesstimate that 90% of 4K Blu-ray's are better than their standard Blu-ray counterpart, whether it's incrementally or significantly -- it's still an upgrade nonetheless.

Yes, these are still outliers?
I'd guesstimate that 90% of 4K Blu-ray's are better than their standard Blu-ray counterpart, whether it's incrementally or significantly -- it's still an upgrade nonetheless.

I would not say outliers.

And I would not say 90%

And isn't it the movie that counts. That's what I'm going for here. No matter if 99% 4K's are better but if that 1% of the releases are what I'm after then ... You get the point. (That's why I'm asking about spesifc titles...)

Cheers ! :thumbs:

Hmm... no, not really. It sounded lke a pretty general inquiry rather than "what are your favorite 4Ks" etcetera.

:notworthy:

... I'll try to make better in the future. But hey, my 2nd post actually named the films. But I guess that's too little too late.

Shamed.

:sorry:

It's worth bearing in mind the fact that a 4K player will upscale a standard blu ray, therefore improving the picture quality..
If comparisons were made between a standard blu ray played on a standard blu ray player and a 4k played on a 4k player I imagine the difference would be more apparent...