eXistenZ (4K + Blu-ray Slipbox) (Vinegar Syndrome Exclusive) [USA]

Jun 18, 2016
Release date: November 27, 2023
Purchase link: Vinegar Syndrome
Price: $44.99
Note: This special limited edition 2-disc 4K UHD/Blu-ray set comes with a spot gloss flesh-textured hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Haunt Love), includes a 40-page perfect bound book and is limited to 10,000 units. It is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.

existenzboxset2_2048x.jpg

Reactions: sinusR2
In the near future, video games have evolved to a point where they are able to biologically interact with players through the use of an electronic umbilical cord. Allegra Geller has created eXistenZ, a highly anticipated virtual reality game which has come under fire for its potential ability to effectively warp players' perceptions of reality. When an anti-game zealot attempts to murder Allegra during a demo, she narrowly escapes with the help of her publicist, Ted Pikul. However, Allegra discovers that the only master copy of the game might have been damaged during the attack and convinces Ted to test it with her. After Ted reluctantly agrees, the pair enter the virtual world of eXistenZ, but it’s not long before they start becoming uncertain as to where the violent gameplay ends and reality begins...

Director David Cronenberg’s (Videodrome, Crash) masterpiece of sci-fi horror for the video game age, eXistenZ stars two-time Academy Award nominee Jude Law (The Talented Mr. Ripley), Oscar® nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (Single White Female), and four-time Oscar® nominee Willem Dafoe (Platoon). Action-packed from beginning to end, and featuring memorable creature effects designed by Stephan Dupuis (Scanners), loaded with a consummate selection of new and archival extras, Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present the 4K UHD debut of this slime-filled look at a virtual future which might become reality sooner than we'd like to think.

directed by: David Cronenberg
starring: Jude Law, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Willem Dafoe, Ian Holm, Sarah Polley, Christopher Eccleston, Don McKellar, Callum Keith Rennie
1999 / 97 min / 1.85:1 / English 5.1 Surround + 2.0 Stereo

Additional info:

• 2-disc Set: 4K Ultra HD / Region A Blu-ray
  • 4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
  • Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm interpositive
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian Dr. Jennifer Moorman
  • Archival commentary track with director David Cronenberg
  • Archival commentary track with cinematographer Peter Suschitzky
  • Archival commentary track with visual effects supervisor Jim Isaac
  • "Crafting (un)Reality" (22 min) - a brand new interview with art director Tamara Deverell on building the worlds of eXistenZ
  • "Frankenstein Syndrome" (9 min) - a brand new interview with make-up effects artist Stephan Dupuis on bringing eXistenZ to life
  • "Sticking with Genius" (10 min) - a brand new interview with producer Robert Lantos
  • "The Art of the Title" (7 min) - a brand new interview with opening title designer Robert Pilichowski
  • "Frame by Frame: The Invisible Art of Production Designer Carol Spier" (48 min) - archival featurette
  • Archival Promotional Featurette (7 min)
  • Archival Special Effects Featurette (4 min)
  • Promotional & behind-the-scenes still gallery
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Archival EPK interviews with: director David Cronenberg (4 min), actor Jude Law (15 min), actress Jennifer Jason Leigh (2 min), actor Willem Dafoe (7 min) and visual effects supervisor Jim Isaac (28 min)
  • 40-page perfect bound book (exclusive to the Limited Edition Slipcase) with essays by Justin LaLiberty and Jon Dieringer
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • English SDH subtitles

Reactions: sinusR2
Been thinking about this film a lot recently. Need to rewatch it

There is also an option to buy a standard edition. That one will be half price next year. The book seems to be limited edition only for what I understand. There is no way this will make it to any sale price. I used some points and got it for 34.99 Hopefully it will arrive in good condition.

There is also an option to buy a standard edition. That one will be half price next year. The book seems to be limited edition only for what I understand. There is no way this will make it to any sale price. I used some points and got it for 34.99 Hopefully it will arrive in good condition.
I think there's a good chance it'll be available during the halfway sale. They made 10,000.

Awesome! One of my All-time Top 10 favorites! New extras! 6th audiocommentary track! First time in UHD!

eXistenZ R1 Canada Screenshots.jpg

Don't you like hairy tummy? I think it suits the movie. But I do wish it came with the umbilical cord thingy attached to it.
The artist must've gotten confused, the port is in the 'small of the back', not the stomach. Unless the back of the box has that...

The artist must've gotten confused, the port is in the 'small of the back', not the stomach. Unless the back of the box has that...
There is one on the backside. I wonder what the Flesh-textured slipcase feels like. Can't wait to give it some belly rubs and maybe blow on it like on a baby

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Probably won't be on sale even if it's not sold out. Noting released prior to May 2023 is on sale on this Black Friday. https://support.vinegarsyndrome.com/en-US/black-friday-2023---faq-356262

There is presently 3264 in stock on VS's store. Don't know how many they ship out to select indie retailers.
They've already sold that many?? I was thinking of cancelling and waiting for a sale. I didn't think lesser Cronenberg would sell that quick.
Are the book and packaging the only difference between the Limited and Standard Editions?

Reactions: Bjarkan
The hard slipcase and book is a Limited edition exclusive from what I understand. There is a chance they will release a slipcover version after it has sold out, like they did with Thriller.

I forgot they were going to hide it for a whole month, didn't preorder yet, now it's gone from the website till next year. :facepalm: