Question.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Rowan and meekster
My favorites are:

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
Renshai series (two separate ones) by Mickey Zucker Reichert
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Let's get serious here.

Anyone remember 'The chronicles of Thomas Covenant', the unbeliever?. For sheer scope and world building, Stephen Donaldson has to be the man. He work's
with a huge canvass of character's and location's, manages to span the passage of centuries plausibly, has a lead character so damaged and disturbed that he makes Constantine seem like a pipe and slipper's guy, and keep's you in it over six volumes. And that was only the first time round!.:oohyeah:

Gardner F. Fox's Kothar and Kyric series - both succeeded in taking Conan to the cleaners.

The Nikki Heat TV tie-in novels by 'Richard Castle' are surprisingly fun reading.

But the top of the stack is, without question, Joel Shepherd's Cassandra Kresnov novels. One trilogy down, awaiting the final book of the second trilogy.

A nod to the man who recommended Kane and Elric, although I found Elric had worn a little 'thin' with the books beyond the 'original' half dozen.

And, seriously :D, I just couldn't get on with Donaldson's Thomas Covenant. Tried three times but couldn't find any connection to make me give a damn enough to even finish the first volume every time.

Last edited:
James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet and American Underworld Trilogy are f-ing amazing.

Although I like thinking of it as the L.A. Trilogy. I don't like including The Black Dahlia. I feel Ellroy really hit his stride with The Big Nowhere, so that's where the story begins for me. And it's not over yet. Dog's about to expand these interconnecting series with a second L.A. Quartet that's a prequel to the first Quartet and features younger versions of characters from both previous series. Perfidia, the first book in the new series, drops mid-September.

Also, Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe Trilogy.

Other than those everything else I read is pretty self contained.

Some historical series are very well written, however many lack authenticity.
That statement is wide open for debate,obviously. When i make that statement,
i am predominantly thinking of one author in particular. Patrick O'Brian. He wrote
twenty one book's in a series that spanned over a quarter of the twentieth century. 'Master and Commander' is a peerless opening broadside to the most academically respected, accurate, and insanely detailed maritime Odyssey in literature. You could say it's the 'missing link' between maritime academia, and popular fiction. Enjoy.