Horror Chat Favorite horror flicks from 70s and 80s?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Jump in!

DB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
My Tiers:

Jaws and The Thing take top spots for me.

The Shinning, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen

Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Lost Boys, Near Dark

Hrmm... I know there are more, but I'm blanking right now. I'm not a big zombies guy, so Dawn of the Dead doesn't make my personal list.

Last edited:
Not a great horror fan, but one film I did enjoy for its slightly amateurish/disjointed editing and storytelling was Phantasm - not the sequels though, they were a big disappointment and IMO a waste of celluloid!

Scanners (Cronenberg - 1981) and Maniac Cop (Lustig - 1987) are my fav.
Maniac Cop 2 is a must :D Really Great !

Re-Animator (1985) is quite a good horror movie too :)

My picks are,
A Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness, Jaws and i think The Shining is the best horror movie ever made!

If its the theme tune then Exorcist sounds very creepy. Its not one of my favourites but that tune sends shivers down me!

70'S

Halloween, The Exorcist, Last House on the Left, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Alien, Evil Dead, Phantasm, Jaws, Amittyville Horror, The Wicker Man

80's

Halloween II, Poltergiest, Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, Psycho II, The Burning, My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Creepshow, Critters, Return of the Living Dead, The Hitcher, The Fog, The Shinning, Sleepaway Camp, Videodrome, Children of the Corn, Evil Dead II, Prince of Darkess (probably the most creepy movie of its era), Child's Play, Pet Semetary,

Honorable mentions go to 'Killer Klowns from Outter Space', 'The Lost Boys' and 'Near Dark' as they are suppose to be Horror. they werent really scary but nonetheless awesome.

Last edited:
I really dug The Fog the first time I watched it... but it didn't hold up for me upon multiple viewings (which sucks cause I bought the DVD after renting on Netflix).

We're talking about the one with the Smallville guy and the chic from Lost, right? I kid, I kid! ;)

I wish I liked the Evil Dead movies more... but the comedy is just too silly and forced. I love the character of Ash though, just wish he could have been put in a balls-out horror film.

Good call on Alien --- Can't believe I blanked on that. I'm dying to see Prometheus.

Apart from all the movies mentioned before, most of which are most excellent, how about a bit more Stephen King Christine, and DB, Demon Seed was always a favourite of mine.

Here's a list btw, see if you've forgotten some. There are some real bad ones in here:
And Soon the Darkness, Blood on Satan's Claw, Count Yorga Vampire, The Crimson Cult, The Dunwich Horror, House of Dark Shadows, Lust For a vampire, Scars of Dracula, Shock Waves, Vampire Lovers, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, A Clockwork Orange, Play Misty for Me, Willard, The Wicker Man, Duel, The House that Dripped Blood, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, The Omega Man, Straw Dogs, Asylum, Deliverance, Last House on the Left, The Other Tales From the Crypt, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Horror Express, Dracula AD 1972, Frenzy, Don't Look in the Basement, Don't Look Now, The Exorcist, The Legend of Hell House, Sisters, Vault of Horror, The Crazies, From Beyond the Grave, It's Alive, Legend of Boggy Creek, The Beast Must Die, Black Christmas, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Vampyres, The Dead Don't Die, The Ghoul, Legend of 7 Golden Vampires, Seizure, Terminal Man, The Cars That Ate Paris, Beyond the Door, Devil's Rain, Jaws, Lisa and the Devil, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Race with the Devil, Shivers, Stepford Wives, In Search of Dracula, Legend of the Werewolf, Assault on Precinct 13, Burnt Offerings, Carrie, Deep Red: The Hatchet Murders, God Told Me To, King Kong, Martin, The Omen, Town that Dreaded Sundown, Haunting of Julia, Rabid, Audrey Rose, Damnation Alley, Demon Seed, Eraserhead, The Hills Have Eyes, Ruby, The Sentinel, Suspiria, The Uncanny, The Omen 2, Eyes of Laura Mars, Halloween, I Spit on Your Grave, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Magic, Jaws 2, Coma, Toolbox Murders, The Fury, Alien, Amityville Horror, The Brood, Dawn of the Dead, Phantasm, Tourist Trap, When A Stranger Calls, Zombie, Dracula, The Legacy, The Changeling, The Fog, Friday the 13th, Prom Night, The Shining, Terror Train, Altered States, Dressed to Kill, Maniac, Motel Hell, An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Scanners, Wolfen, Friday the 13th part 2, Halloween 2, Dead and Buried, Deadly Blessing, The Funhouse, Omen 3: Final Conflict, Creepshow, House by the Cemetery, Poltergeist, The Thing, Alone in the Dark, Friday the 13th 3D, Basket Case, The Burning, Hell Night, Cat People, The Dead Zone, The Evil Dead, Sleepaway Camp, The Beyond, Something Wicked this Way Comes, Videodrome, Christine, Cujo, Twilight Zone: The Movie, The Entity, Children of the Corn, Firestarter, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Gremlins, Silent Night Deadly Night, The Terminator, Blood Simple, Chud, Night of the Comet, Day of the Dead, Fright Night, Demons, Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, Silver Bullet, Cat's Eye, Company of Wolves, Phenomena, Ghoulies, Aliens, The Fly, Friday the 13th: Jason Lives, The Hitcher, Night of the Creeps, Nomads, Texas Chainsaw 2, Poltergeist 2, Manhunter, House, Evil Dead 2, Hellraiser, Lost Boys, Near Dark, Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, The Stepfather, Prince of Darkness, Predator, Creepshow 2, Opera, The Blob, Child's Play, Halloween 4, Hellraiser 2: Hellbound, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Phantasm 2, Pumpkinhead, Serpent and the Rainbow, They Live, Brain Damage, Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer, Pet Sematary, Bad Taste, Dead Calm, Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan, 976-Evil, Parents, Shocker, Halloween 5, A Nightmare on Elm Street 5.

Last edited: