Favorite records of 2016 - Share your ear worms

dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER
pandora-thats-my-ish-hed-2016.png

2016 is coming to an end and I thought it might be interesting to hear from you ninjas what your favorite records of 2016 are.

With music I got my favorites and I know how to discover something new.
But mouth-to-mouth recommendation is something I highly enjoy since we all come from different places, different genres and got our favorites where we rock to.

Share with us your favorite jams of the year, favorite records you listen to, you bought on vinyl or are at the top of your wishlist, maybe a re-issue of a favorite you waited forever for or just a song you can't get out of your head ...

Since this section is Soundtrack dominated, if you want to discuss OSTs, Scores and everything movie related please share it here, in our 1st Annual Best OST Vinyl Release of the Year 2016 - Nomination thread

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Hard to remember everything. I tried.

The records from 2016 I've listen the most to are:

Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered. /// Kaytranada - 99,9 %
homepage_large.1bcdfd6b.jpg
homepage_large.ac919768.jpg

Durand Jones & The Indications (self-titled) /// Anderson .Paak - Malibu
2026AAD65-E48C-06C2-E0363E867699EC2C.jpg
homepage_large.0e1836c9.jpg

GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object /// Moderat - III
homepage_large.ea58d30e.jpg
homepage_large.fdeef404.jpg

Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus /// Mustafa Özkent - Genclik Ile Elele
51ohfsR7ldL._SX342_QL70_.jpg
R-7782156-1448660040-6865.jpeg.jpg

And other favorites of this year (those I remember right now :oohyeah:):

Rap / Instrumental Hip Hop
Ugly Heroes - Everything in Between
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
Kool Keith - Feature Magnetic
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Royce 5’9” - Layers
Oddisee - Alwasta EP
Oddisee - The Odd Tape

Termanology - More Politics
Dave East - Kairi Chanel
Black Milk & Nat Turner - The Rebellion Sessions
Invisibl Skratch Piklz - The 13th Floor
Ta-Ku & Wafia - (m)edian EP
Childish Gambino - Awaken, my love
J.Cole - 4 Your Eyez only

RnB / Soul
August Alsina - This Thing Called Life
Charles Bradley - Changes

Misc
BadBadNotGood - IV
DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall
Floating Points - Elaenia
Gold Panda - Good Luck And Do Your Best
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth
The Avalanches - Wildflower

Compilations / Re-issues
Booka Shade - Movements 10
DJ Koze Presents Pampa Records Vol. 1
Late Night Tales: Ólafur Arnalds
MF Doom - Special Blends Volume 1&2
Willie Hutch - Soul Portrait
Terry Allen - Juarez

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Reactions: dan8885
WOW! Terminology & Royce released albums? I am soooo behind on music. Matter of fact, i'm still compiling my 2015 playlist. It's gonna be hard to get back to you with a list. But i'll see if i can come up with something. :)

Yeah mate. I was also figuring out what was 2015 and 2016. No need for a list, maybe just 1-2 records you was into.

Termanology was released 1-2 month back. Solid fourth record.

Not the best lyrics but great golden era feeling to it

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Thanks mate! Seems like it's difficult for most of the ninjas (or uninteresting) :bag:
I can only speak for myself, but I don't see it as uninteresting at all mate. There's been a lot of great music this year, a lot of which I still need to catch up... it's definitely going to be difficult to decide.

• Thanks
I can only speak for myself, but I don't see it as uninteresting at all mate. There's been a lot of great music this year, a lot of which I still need to catch up... it's definitely going to be difficult to decide.

Yes. It's amazing these days how much people releasing great music. The record I mentioned in my post, Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus (Jazz/Funk), I just discovered this like a week ago. And it grew in this short time to my #2, #3 record of the year (so far). And we will still discover 2016 records in 2017 or later that would've made the list. I love music man. It's life.

• Thanks
Yes. It's amazing these days how much people releasing great music. The record I mentioned in my post, Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus (Jazz/Funk), I just discovered this like a week ago. And it grew in this short time to my #2, #3 record of the year (so far). And we will still discover 2016 records in 2017 or later that would've made the list. I love music man. It's life.
I really need to start branching out of my usual stuff and giving new artist a chance... I tend to just stick to what I know nowadays, so my list of favourites probably won't be anything too out there unfortunately. But, yeah... there'll no doubt be records I won't get around to checking out until next year that I'll eventually decide is also one of my favourites, so my top 10 lists are also forever changing... I honestly can't imagine life without music either! :)

• Thanks
I really need to start branching out of my usual stuff and giving new artist a chance... I tend to just stick to what I know nowadays, so my list of favourites probably won't be anything too out there unfortunately. But, yeah... there'll no doubt be records I won't get around to checking out until next year that I'll eventually decide is also one of my favourites, so my top 10 lists are also forever changing... I honestly can't imagine life without music either! :)

What I hate is that, most of the time when I learn about a new record I like, it is a limited vinyl print run and already sold out and expensive then :pain:

Very curious now about your actual list :p

• Thanks
What I hate is that, most of the time when I learn about a new record I like, it is a limited vinyl print run and already sold out and expensive then :pain:

Very curious now about your actual list :p
My list will probably be very generic and boring compared to most, so don't get your hopes up! :p

• Thanks
New album by Vangelis? I didn't know!
And that Nick Cave is good? I didn't came around spin it till now. Need to check both. Thank you :thumbs::thumbs:
Yeah, the new Vangelis and Richard Ashcroft albums came outta nowhere!
The Nick Cave album is very dark and soul searching, as you would expect, since it was the album he was making after the tragic death of his son. But, it is a fabulous album. (Do the Bad Seeds ever make a bad album?!!)
Bob Mould's album sounds like the unofficial 3rd SUGAR album...
(and his two SUGAR albums are two of the greatest albums of the 90's in my opinion. COPPER BLUE is a stone cold rock masterpiece).

• Helpful Post
Yeah, the new Vangelis and Richard Ashcroft albums came outta nowhere!
The Nick Cave album is very dark and soul searching, as you would expect, since it was the album he was making after the tragic death of his son. But, it is a fabulous album. (Do the Bad Seeds ever make a bad album?!!)
Bob Mould's album sounds like the unofficial 3rd SUGAR album...
(and his two SUGAR albums are two of the greatest albums of the 90's in my opinion. COPPER BLUE is a stone cold rock masterpiece).

Sounds promising! Exactly what I've hoped for from this thread :thumbs: Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: C.C. 95
Yeah mate. I was also figuring out what was 2015 and 2016. No need for a list, maybe just 1-2 records you was into.

Termanology was released 1-2 month back. Solid fourth record.

Not the best lyrics but great golden era feeling to it

The beats just so crazy. If the album has a similar vibe to this song, then i'm pretty sure i can listen to the whole thing without skipping a track.

• Thanks
Sounds promising! Exactly what I've hoped for from this thread :thumbs: Thanks a bunch!
Vangelis has been a hero of mine since I was a young musician. Even among the earliest DIY musicians (like Eno, Peter Gabriel, Jim Foetus and Kate Bush) he is a wunderkind.
I have tried to study his studio setup - and it is just baffling! Watch this video, and see how he can make a complete finished piece of music in one take by himself!
Incredible.

• Helpful Post
Vangelis has been a hero of mine since I was a young musician. Even among the earliest DIY musicians (like Eno, Peter Gabriel, Jim Foetus and Kate Bush) he is a wunderkind.
I have tried to study his studio setup - and it is just baffling! Watch this video, and see how he can make a complete finished piece of music in one take by himself!
Incredible.

Very impressing! I've never saw this preset system before. Either it's rare or it is produced especially for him.
He's a great musician but I can't listen a lot to his stuff since he always use these very bright soundscapes. I enjoy 1-2 pieces and then I must make a pause.